eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
  • Black Friday Countdown Deals
2000roy
Community Member

Why do ebay and paypal charge fees on postage?

Both ebay and paypal charge fees on postage which seems a rip off to me as that is money we have to pay out. I know some sellers charge massive post & packing but it wouldn't take ebay long to work out actual p&p and not include this for fees.

Please use plain text.
norseway53
Community Member

Re: Why do ebay and paypal charge fees on postage?

in reply to 2000roy

Paypal's fees are for processing the money transfer and it makes no difference to them whether the money transferred includes postage or not.

eBay have no way of working out what the 'correct' postage and packaging fee is per parcel let alone per item, how could they when they don't know how much a seller pays for envelopes or other packaging?

I bid, I win, I pay - you deliver
Please use plain text.
benedict1066
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to norseway53

As Norse says, PayPal are a secure money transfer agency that deals with the whole amount of money that you are paying, regardless of what the money is paying for......

Please use plain text.
charliebrownssoldiers_2009
Community Member

in reply to 2000roy

The marketing spin is wearing very thin.......

"

Our busiest season is on its way. And we’re making changes to support you in delivering a better shopping experience than ever before.
We’re combining the convenience of a seamless online experience with all the good things buyers expect from high street shopping.

Prepare your business for the upcoming changesand you’ll be in the best position to increase your eBay sales this season."

In other words we're going to screw our sellers for even more money. 

My days are numbered on Ebay. Will look for other avenues to explore to sell my wares. 

Please use plain text.
auraura_uk
Community Member

Re: Why do ebay and papal charge fees on postage?

in reply to 2000roy

BECAUSE  THEY CAN!

Ebay can just see lots and lots more money rolling in for doing nothing! It's outrageous as they're very aware we've all been stung by the massive price hike by Royal Mail on small packets/parcels but they don't care, they just want more money for doing sweet FA.

But, ebay UK are the only part of ebay doing this, and I think one reason is, here in the UK we just put up with it. ebay.com wouldn't do it, the Americans would go potty and there would be an outcry! But us Brits, nah, we just moan and moan, but do nothing.

Ebay say it's to eradicate extortionate postage, what a fine excuse! Ebay have systems in place, they could very easily set up an automated system to detect an item that, for example, has higher postage than the item itself.

MONEY MONEY MONEY, that's all it's about.

If you sell internationally, this will be very lucrative for ebay.uk but a nightmare for us as we will have to increase  the international post by 10%, it may be worth putting your ads up on the international ebay sites separately, ie; .com, .aus, .it, etc, because they DO NOT CHARGE fees on postage. It's hassle for us, but ultimately may be worth it.

So, we either moan and do nothing or we could all complain, it may not achieve anything, but at least we can say we tried.

Of course, there are alternatives to ebay, (not including a rather large rain forest in S. America), who are up and coming, which is where we're heading!

Don't just moan, DO SOMETHING!

2000roy wrote:

Both ebay and paypal charge fees on postage which seems a rip off to me as that is money we have to pay out. I know some sellers charge massive post & packing but it wouldn't take ebay long to work out actual p&p and not include this for fees.

Please use plain text.
ginap.123
Community Member

in reply to 2000roy
Why is it outrageous? They are a business, any business is out to maximise thier profits. Ebay have found a way to increase thiers so sellers will have to do the same by perhaps increasing prices to absorb the rise. As everyone will be in the same boat it can't be classed as 'not fair' as everyone will have the price increase unless they find other ways to absorb that cost.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
simonrussell99
Community Member

in reply to ginap.123

Given that the recent RM price increase has already caused a drop off in sales, adding another 10% to the cost of dispatch seems foolish in the extreme. 

eBay may want to maximise their profits, but there may well be a tipping point at which they will see sales drop off a cliff as buyers leave in droves.  The 99p bargain will no longer be there to be found as sellers risk adverse DSR scores for the p+p element if they charge what they need to charge to cover their costs and end up in profit.

I really don't see how eBay can justify taking commission on an element of the transaction that is nothing to do with them.  This is on top of the charge Paypal makes on the p+p.  

Please use plain text.
lego-lady
Community Member

in reply to simonrussell99

You can't put your prices up if you sell at auction.   And you can't include it in a start price when you don't know where your  buyer is going to live.  I have items that cost up to £70 to post to Australia, and only £9 to the UK.

Please use plain text.
lego-lady
Community Member

in reply to ginap.123

Sorry - previous answer was to Gina too.

Also, whilst every Ebay seller might be in the same boat - it's going to make the High Street and other online vendors more attractive - and keeping buyers on the site is in all of ours interest.

Just because someone is a business, and just because they can, doesn't mean that it's a good idea, and we all have breaking points.  The general fee increases, the RM price rises and now this,

I don't understand how anyone can greet it with sang froid.  As business sellers, we might have been anticipating it, and we might be able to adjust our business models  to adapt to it (lets face it, most of us don't have a choice),  but whichever way you cut it, it's coming off our bottom lines.

Please use plain text.
benedict1066
Community Member

in reply to lego-lady

lego-lady wrote:

You can't put your prices up if you sell at auction.   And you can't include it in a start price when you don't know where your  buyer is going to live.  I have items that cost up to £70 to post to Australia, and only £9 to the UK.

Good point, LL - I have said this before!  The start price is just that - the item will still sell for what it would have sold for and you will just lose more out of your payment to cover the extra fees on postage.  You are only covered if the item just sells for the start price, which would be more than you would have started at pre-increase.

Then there is your point about overseas postage......

Please use plain text.
thimbleshackuk
Community Member

in reply to 2000roy

I can totally understand why PayPal do it, but eBay's decision to do so is wrong.  I use a lot of other platforms to sell on, and not a single one charges selling fees on p&p. 

Please use plain text.
benedict1066
Community Member

in reply to thimbleshackuk

"I can totally understand why PayPal do it,"

Thank heaven for that - I'm sure some can still not get it......

Please use plain text.
lego-lady
Community Member

in reply to benedict1066

benedict1066 wrote:

lego-lady wrote:

Then there is your point about overseas postage......

I wonder whether the poster(s) that can't understand why some UK sellers don't want to sell overseas will see this as a good enough reason to make some sales domestic only.

It'll be a balance between attracting more bidders versus the extra fees.  :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
benedict1066
Community Member

in reply to lego-lady

Yep - happened with a lot of sellers in US who now won't send overseas when they would before......

Please use plain text.
towelposter
Community Member

in reply to thimbleshackuk

Amazon do, so I have been told.  We are freepost there as well so it makes no difference to us.

I am in favour of ebay charging FVF on UK postage as it cuts out teh gougers, however charging it on overseas carriage is going way too far imo.  WHY CAN IT NOT BE SET UP LIKE IT IS ON .COM?

100% pure Egyptian Cotton
Please use plain text.
soo.perb
Community Member

in reply to towelposter
"with all the good things buyers expect from high street shopping."

We may be able to buy postage free from the high street but for most of us there's still the cost of getting there and parking fees if you use a car. Then there's the coffee for a much needed sit down after the hassle of shoving other shoppers out of the way ........ but I digress lol.

I guess in this case seamless means invisible but included postage. Ebay are always going to be the winners because for business sellers who have concentrated their efforts on ebay what choice do they have but to continue? If it's your livelihood you just grit your teeth and try to find a way to maximise your income over your outgoings.

Perhaps Astro would give us a lesson, he appears to have always grasped the nettle?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.” - Washington Irving
Please use plain text.
gems-boutique-2010
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to norseway53

I have been thinking about this. Ebay and paypal are incredibly 'connected'.

I do not think it would take much for paypal (or ebay itself as you can directly print postage label now) to electronically inform ebay of the postage paid and then ebay and possibly paypal too could deduct that from the FVF charge.

Actually it makes perfect sense.... except for when sellers pay through other means...i.e cash at the post office.

Maybe i should start a thread making this suggestion. I wonder how far it would get.

Please use plain text.
freakypeepshow
Community Member

in reply to lego-lady

lego-lady wrote:

Its not just places as far as Australia that will be a problem.

I can send a UK parcel using collect plus for less than a fiver but send to Ireland using Royal Mail and you can be looking at £20 as it is now. Who in their right mind is going to carry on allowing buyers in Ireland to buy when theyre allowed to ding our domestic market DSRs?

success = talent + luck
great success = a little more talent + a lot of luck
Please use plain text.
bonnixa
Community Member

in reply to soo.perb

Online buying is growing raipidly - so ebay is just jumping on the bandwagon - with others to follow (just watch this space)

with my own website - my payment gateway that i use, they have always charged me for whatever goes in and out of the account, and that included postage - it's legal

paypal/ebay are big business - they will always find ways to make more money (or stop losing money) - so we also have to in a smaller way - although we do pay ALL our taxes, not like some.... ahum..:manwink:

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
frenchcollection
Community Member

Re: Why do ebay and papal charge fees on postage?

[ Edited ]
in reply to auraura_uk

auraura_uk wrote: 

But, ebay UK are the only part of ebay doing this, and I think one reason is, here in the UK we just put up with it. ebay.com wouldn't do it, the Americans would go potty and there would be an outcry! But us Brits, nah, we just moan and moan, but do nothing. 

Not so.

Ebay.com has been charging FVF on the total transaction price, including postage, for the past two years.

It was implemented on July 6th 2011.

Jo

Please use plain text.