Mammograms?.

After hitting fifty i was told by a friend that you are called in your fiftieth year at some point to have a Mammogram if you have not previously had one that is. Can anyone tell me if this will happen or does anyone know any different?. Thanks ladies!!!!.

Woman Happy

Message 1 of 44
See Most Recent
43 REPLIES 43

Mammograms?.

I think it depends on how busy they are.  You get called after you're 50, but I think I was 52 by the time I was called for the first time.  It stays regular after that though,  every three years until it changes to every five years.  There's a thing!!! , they've started advertising how you're more likey to get breast cancer after 70, but they call you less frequently the older you get!!! 

Message 2 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

you normally get a letter about 50 years of age.i am now 52 and have had two mamagrams and i think that regular ones stop at 70 and after that you have to request them through your doctor.and do not listen to horrible rumours.they do not hurt just uncomfortable.

good luck on your first one.

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 3 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

Same as you I'm 53 & I've had three mammograms , just uncomfortable, doesn't hurt, nothing to be concerned about, & well worth doing!

**********Sam**********
Message 4 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

When I hit 50 I got a kissogram...... However she did have mammaries...

Ignore anything under this ^^^^^ line... It's just my signature....
Message 5 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I'm surprised you noticed a small point like that mr-expresso! 

How come you two have had them two and three times at your age?  I only had them every three years.  I had one last summer and don't expect another until summer 2016.  They're starting to do them from 47 to 73 in some places.

Message 6 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I have one every 6 months since the age of30, but due to my history.

I'm 58 now, & still here Woman LOL

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 7 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I had my first one when I was nearly 51 and I've had another one since.  As has been said, they are uncomfortable but that's all.  Definitely well worth having.

Message 8 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I think it depends on which Drs surgery & area you're in!

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I am 53,  54 in June, and I have only had one I was about 51 and 6 months, here it is every three years.  The comfort depends on how big you are I think, it must be difficult getting someone who is very small onto the plate, if you know what I mean, I just found it a bit of a squeeze.

Message 10 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

LOL! You have such away with words Ed!

**********Sam**********
Message 11 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

Mmmmmmmm wasn't quite sure how to put it without offending.  A friend of mine is very flat chested and she had awful trouble.

Message 12 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I'm 55 now and I've had three, all OK thankfully.

I'd only just had my 49th birthday when I got my first invite.
I queried it because I thought you had to be 50 or over but she told me it was because they sent them out by year not your birth day or age, and I was lucky (?!!!) I fell in the early group.

We have a mobile screening unit, staffed by an all woman team, and they really do their best to put you at ease.

Daft as it sounds I do feel a bit embarrassed standing there topless but it's only you and the radiographer and it doesn't take very long from start to finish.

It's a bit uncomfortable while you're being 'squished' but not painful and the discomfort doesn't last beyond that.  Everyone feels it differently, and  some people do feel a bit tender for a short while after but for me by the time I'd put my top back on I was fine.

Ours tell you to wear a loose top and trousers or skirt rather than a dress - I'm assuming they all say the same. It's so you can take all your top clothes off in the cubicle and then just pop a top/jumper on to go into the radiographer. Mine explains what she's going to do and then tells you to take your top of when you feel comfortable. She then manipulates your breast into position between the plates. They take two 'shots' per breast, one front on and one side on.

Thats it, all done.

The results have come back really quickly each time too which means you don't spend too long wondering and hoping.

Message 13 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

now i am rather well endowed in the breast department and was told the bigger they are the more pain but a friend of mine who is 32 -AA hers are so flat but she had her first mamogram last week and said it was ok just uncomfortable like me.so i think it is the same for everyone and also how well trained the radiographer is..

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 14 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I think you've hit the nail on the head , it's the exposure that's the problem not the actual Mammogram & the not knowing what's involved, but once you've got over that you think well it's not so bad, same sort of feeling with a cervical smear test. Tut! Ain't we silly!. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 15 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I'd rather have a squishogramme than a smear...oooooh don't like those at all. I missed the last one, must make an appointment.

Photobucket

Message 16 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

Must admit, CB, I'm the same as you.  I hate having smear tests.  They are essential though.

Message 17 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't show you the speculum before hand& you want to say more lube please & can you warm it first? LOL.

**********Sam**********
Message 18 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

the worse one I ever had was a woman doctor....I think she was really an elephant vet...gawd, she was rough, and SHE moaned at ME because she had to get a smaller instrument!!!

Photobucket

Message 19 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

The last time I went to the  Mammogram dept. at the local hospital I giggled all the way.  It wasn't me that was going into the machine it was my husband.  As he is usually cheeky when I get the call to the mobile centre I spent the whole journey winding him up with horror stories!!  Unfortunately they wouldn't let me in to watch so I have no idea how they tackled a male of the species, but he emerged slightly ruffled demanding a large black coffee.

Message 20 of 44
See Most Recent