Mammograms?.

After hitting fifty i was told by a friend that you are called in your fiftieth year at some point to have a Mammogram if you have not previously had one that is. Can anyone tell me if this will happen or does anyone know any different?. Thanks ladies!!!!.

Woman Happy

Message 1 of 44
See Most Recent
43 REPLIES 43

Mammograms?.

LOL. No romance involved , no dinner or flowers! The one I had I think worked previously for the council as a pipe unblocker.LOL.
& when she said relax I nearly ran off!

**********Sam**********
Message 21 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I'm 51 next week. I was invited for my 1st mammogram 26 months ago, I was 48. I attended a local mobile unit @ Bluewater. 

A couple of weeks later, I had a recall and attended a unit @ Gillingham Hospital where I had another mammogram on one side and a full breast exam. The radiologist had seen something that needed to be checked, all was fine fortunately.

The mammogram is nothing to worry about Rose. I am very small and did find it uncomfortable both times. It is only for a few seconds. I'll definately attend when invited again.

They don't do these things for fun, it is a preventative measure and has helped save the lives of others, just like smears, neither are my favourite pastimes but not terrible at all and well worth it Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I have had three in my lifetime due to family history the last being a few weeks ago. A bit uncomfortable and yes I agree with the ladies the embarrassment of being exposed is a put off but the truth is these radiologists see different shapes and sizes all day long and take no notice of an individuals boobies. Same goes for smears. With my family history in mind I cannot stress enough the importance of keeping up to date with these. Regular self checks are a must as well. To have the peace of mind that all is well surpassess any discomfot or embarrassment.

Message 23 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

We have joked about this as you have too! But I cannot agree more it is important you have both done! Sam.

**********Sam**********
Message 24 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I can't say i have ever been embarrassed exposing the DD's as it's in a hospital environment but I have found it quite a painful procedure. That said it is over very quickly & we are so lucky to have the scans. Women in many other countries don't get the opportunity or have to pay for them. Not sure how many more I will have as I am 67 next month.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 25 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

Keep having them & if you're not offered them ask for one, research has shown not only do woman get breast cancer at an earlier age than was thought but also the risk in much later life is just as true! I'm sorry you have pain with it but it's still worth it for peace of mind.

**********Sam**********
Message 26 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I will keep having them as long as I can. Smiley Happy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 27 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

Good for you!.. Sam.

**********Sam**********
Message 28 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

Ohhhhh ladies this is a serious subject but you lot have had me laugghhhin at some of these answers ha ha ha. It is strange how some have been invited below fifty and for more frequent ones!!. I understand that some have histories that may require thm more frequently though.

Im not worried but have to get my GG whoppers in the machine lol,lol,lol,. Now im not bragging but Page 3 completely missed me. LOL. Sam Fox has got nothing on me ladies!!.

Yes smears are very important too and i always go for mine.

Woman Happy

Message 29 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

When I went last year (up the hospital rather than the mobile one as before) I had three each side.  They're big but not that big.  They always managed with just two before!!   I find the most painful bit is when doing the sideways one, the corner of the plate sticks right in your oxter! Smiley Surprised

Message 30 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

CG???. What is an OXTER???. Ha ha ha ha .

heart

Message 31 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

An armpit!  Woman LOL

Message 32 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

@chickengrandma-2008 wrote:

When I went last year (up the hospital rather than the mobile one as before) I had three each side.  

6 boobies???.......smilie thud.gif

That's just being greedy CG.......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can fail at what you don't want.....so you might as well take a chance on what you love.........

Message 33 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

Saves time if you have sextuplets! Woman Wink

Message 34 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

OOhhhhhh i see Armpits ha ha ha ha. LOL 6 BOOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I think i have eight then aawwwww gawd. Woman Embarassed

Message 35 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

Oh Twishy you crease me up.          

Message 36 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

The staff are always brilliant, but it is always a very painful and distressing procedure. Unfortunately all the equipment is designed to be used with the patient standing - I can only stand for a few seconds and the with something solid to hang on to. It is extremely difficult to manouvre the wheelchair up to the equipment, especially as I have one knee that doesn't bend fully. Because it is extremely difficult to get me in the correct position they often have to take multiple pictures, and also with my "F" cup boobs they often struggle to get the whole area on one picture.

I started well before my 50th birthday because of a lump, and they check every 6 months just to be sure.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some days I pray for silence
Some days I pray for soul
Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll
Message 37 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

Gosh I'd rather have a mammogram than a smear test although I know both are so important.

They always have such trouble doing smears with me, last time they didn't manage to do it.

It was a different nurse to the usual one and she tried allsorts of ways of doing it, all to no avail.

I felt very embarrassed, in the end we had to give up before they called dyno-rod!

I've had one mammogram, about ten years ago.  It was to check everything out after I'd hit my

booby on a coach boot lid (don't ask) and a lump appeared.  The people were lovely and very

thorough and all was well.  I'm 52 now and haven't been invited for another one yet.  I didn't

find it anything to worry about, it didn't hurt, only the mild embarrassment of not having

a top on, but they've seen thousands of boobies and wouldn't remember mine LOL!

Message 38 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

Its funny i dont suffer with sore boobs any more before a period (when i get one). I used to have really painful times tummy wise and boobwise at my period time. Its probably cos everything is winding down in the perimenopause. Probably the hormone is not there that causes the sore boobage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

boobs smily.gif

Message 39 of 44
See Most Recent

Mammograms?.

I'm 4 years off my first and I'm hoping there wil be something a little less like a medieval torture instrument by the time I go for mine!!!

No actually I tell a lie, not my first. I remember having one when I was 16 at school, all the girls did, and it was horrendous Smiley Surprised

I rember seeing something on the news about a new breast scanner which was more like a mine sweeper. You lay on top of a table top and the scanner just passes across you from below. Much easier and less painful!!! Does anyone know if this is being used anywhere now?

Message 40 of 44
See Most Recent