Grammar and the English language.

Is it my imagination or is the standard of english being used on these boards failing?

Maybe it is our 'foreign' guests but, please, at least try.

Rant over.

Message 1 of 47
See Most Recent
46 REPLIES 46

I'm not foreign & probably one of the worst offenders so sorry for that!
Another reason perhaps why people don't post?.

**********Sam**********
Message 2 of 47
See Most Recent

Who are these 'foreign' guests of whom you speak?

You can check if they're registered overseas from their feedback page, and from that deduce that English may not be their first langauge and so make the effort to help in the way you respond to facilitate communication.

If they are registered in the UK, then they're not 'foreign' in the sense of being non-UK residents, but English may still not be that person's first language, so again, a bit of tolerance and consideraion would not go amiss.

However, a large proporton of the decline in the use of grammar in English is down to the lowering of standards in schools in the larger part of Great Britain that many have experienced in the recent decade at least if not longer.

Add into the mix the growing use of 'internet / txt speak' and it is unfortunately something that appears to be a growing trend.

So really, it's a case of - get wiv da program an chill.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 3 of 47
See Most Recent

For goodness sake don't make people afraid of posting because their grammar isn't up to scratch. We have few enough posters as it is. I agree text speak is awful & has no place on here but I don't think people are using that. Facebook can be a nightmare though. Ther is a spell check on here but I often forget to use it as it isn't automatic!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 47
See Most Recent

i am english through and through and was CARP at english at school so i have no idea which bits of my posts are right or wrong and at the end of the day as long as we are all ok and friendly WHO GIVES A DAM

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 5 of 47
See Most Recent

Second that one Cookie. English Grammar Man Surprised- even the English department heaved a sigh of relief that I passed that O level as in the previous 4 years they had managed to teach me nothing!(and that particular O level was kind ofi important back in the days).  It is a subject totally beyond me, .

That said I can write legibly and be understood and I can spell(even if my keyboard cannot).  That is enough.

OH and son can have long and meaningful discussions on subjunctives, phrases and other non interesting subjects.  Daughter with learning problems can hold her own whilst i retir to a good(or otherwise) book.

Message 6 of 47
See Most Recent

I second what Cookie and Patch have said. We all have a laugh and keep one another upbeat!!!. What else matters? For Gawds sake!!!!... YES GAWDS!!!!!!.

Woman Frustrated

Message 7 of 47
See Most Recent

thank you bhgardeners .as long as we all enjoy posting on here whatever our nationality and whatever our level of education it really does not matter whether the spellings are right or if the , or . are in the right place that the i's are dotted and the t's are all crossed.we care about people on here and i have met a lot of friends  and they are all very caring people and at the end of the day that is what matters most.

WE LAUGH TOGETHER.  WE CRY TOGETHER.   WE PULL TOGETHER.

THATS WHAT MATTERS

.................................................................................................................
Message 8 of 47
See Most Recent

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

Mister EMB

Message 9 of 47
See Most Recent

I aint sayin nuffin     smiley-face-giggle.gif

Message 10 of 47
See Most Recent

I SAY LOL to that ha ha ha .Woman LOL

Message 11 of 47
See Most Recent

@electric*mayhem*band wrote:

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

i fink  this is grate...1966.gif . thank you E M B

Message 12 of 47
See Most Recent

@aernethril wrote:

Who are these 'foreign' guests of whom you speak?

You can check if they're registered overseas from their feedback page, and from that deduce that English may not be their first langauge and so make the effort to help in the way you respond to facilitate communication.

If they are registered in the UK, then they're not 'foreign' in the sense of being non-UK residents, but English may still not be that person's first language, so again, a bit of tolerance and consideraion would not go amiss.

However, a large proporton of the decline in the use of grammar in English is down to the lowering of standards in schools in the larger part of Great Britain that many have experienced in the recent decade at least if not longer.

Add into the mix the growing use of 'internet / txt speak' and it is unfortunately something that appears to be a growing trend.

So really, it's a case of - get wiv da program an chill.

Absolutely agree with your post.

Message 13 of 47
See Most Recent

Oh no - I see I have advertised the fact that I neither checked my spelling nor used the shpeelchucker.

ohtheshame.gif

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 14 of 47
See Most Recent

Lol, it's the content I agree with, didn't see your speeling mushtakes !!!!

Message 15 of 47
See Most Recent

I can spell LEMON MUFFINS,

**********Sam**********
Message 16 of 47
See Most Recent

@saasher2012 wrote:

is it muffins or muffin's

Message 17 of 47
See Most Recent

Not sure but I know I can spell it ! lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 18 of 47
See Most Recent

@cookiecookuk wrote:

@saasher2012 wrote:

is it muffins or muffin's

It's muffins. (=  It is muffins.)

The apostrophe means that something is left out.  Plurals don't (do not) have anything left out.

The best bit of advice I ever got about apostrophes (from an English teacher) was - when in doubt, leave it out. 

Message 19 of 47
See Most Recent

Cor! Oh sorry I mean gosh! Thank you for that you've made my day I've actually got two things right .LOL.

**********Sam**********
Message 20 of 47
See Most Recent