Grammar and the English language.

Is it my imagination or is the standard of english being used on these boards failing?

Maybe it is our 'foreign' guests but, please, at least try.

Rant over.

Message 1 of 47
See Most Recent
46 REPLIES 46

Or it's something belonging to the muffin.

The muffin's cupcake case.

Can a muffin have a possession?

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 21 of 47
See Most Recent

Yea me!

**********Sam**********
Message 22 of 47
See Most Recent

I think we all tend to write as we speak, after all we are only chatting, it doesn't bother me, but if it was an official letter then I would be bothered. Sadly sometimes my mind talks faster than I can type so I end up saying all sorts of weird stuff, but I am sure I wouldn't be ostracised for it.          Personally I think it is great when people from other countries come on here, it is interesting and they are making an effort to speak to us in our language, which sadly is more than we Brits usually do when we go abroad.

Message 23 of 47
See Most Recent

are you dropping me a hint there Sam?????

Photobucket

Message 24 of 47
See Most Recent

I think we all tend to write as we speak, after all we are only chatting,

True, however think about the way some people speak. Smiley Happy

One problem is that there is a whole swathe of people who went through the school system during a period when qrammar, spelling etc. was not considered important communication was all that mattered, if course it wasn't also considered that if the use of language was sufficiently bad, that communication would fail completely.

Along with that the habit of reading through what had been typed before releasing it, dsappeared as no longer being necessary.

Having said that when dashing off posts on a forum, precisely correct English is not really necessary all the time.

Bank, who didn't read through their post then?

Message 26 of 47
See Most Recent

I can see a missing comma and a rather surplus 'if', now that I've put on the glasses I got purely for PC use.

You are talking to the person who purchased 'Eats shoots and leaves'.

As an audio book! 

Perhaps not the best medium.Smiley Happy

This is the funniest example of the use of punctuation I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4qii8S3gw

That still makes me laugh after all these years!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 28 of 47
See Most Recent

Nah! Oops! Sorry , one would not be so cheeky .lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 29 of 47
See Most Recent

Only my little joke Bank, it was only if instead of of and disappeared had an i missing that was all, I am the last one to criticise as I miss letters all the time, this from the woman who had men on my head instead of mine on my head. Made everyone laugh though.

Message 30 of 47
See Most Recent

Still makes me larf, LAUGH ed. Lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 31 of 47
See Most Recent

if instead of of

I often find my brain is thinking one word but my fingers type another, 'the' instead of 'to' I do a lot.

Personally I find the deliberate misspelling of words on here such as norty instead of naughty endearing. If replying to a serious post then words are spelled correctly. Carry on having a laugh and bring a little humour to the board is what I say.  Woman Tongue

Message 33 of 47
See Most Recent

@calibra101 wrote:

Personally I find the deliberate misspelling of words on here such as norty instead of naughty endearing. If replying to a serious post then words are spelled correctly. Carry on having a laugh and bring a little humour to the board is what I say.  Woman Tongue

smiley-signs064.gif

********************************************************************************
Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be Angels in disguise.

Message 34 of 47
See Most Recent

@calibra101 wrote:

One should not be afraid but should be ready and willing to go forth boldly whilst pushing towards new frontiers of grammar and spelling, mixing metaphors and splitting infinitives that no man or woman has split before.

And why not indeed Smiley Very Happy

Message 36 of 47
See Most Recent

I do use text speak,,when im texting someone who knows what i mean!!!!!.. I do get tempted to put u for you,,and i know i use LOL,,so im guilty i guess ha ha. I think the way we talk makes up who we are amongst other things.

Woman Happy

Message 37 of 47
See Most Recent

And I know I write (type) differently depending if I am posting here, on FB to my family and friends, or on a motorcycle group I mod on,

Message 38 of 47
See Most Recent

I type just the same where ever I am...just with varying amounts of sanity.....

Crazy is as crazy does.....says the fish in glasses....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can fail at what you don't want.....so you might as well take a chance on what you love.........

Message 39 of 47
See Most Recent

I always type fast as i can as i want to get out what im thinking,and then i look at the screen ( as i cannot type without looking at the keys), than i see the mostikes. LOL. I mean mistakes ha ha . That got you all going.

Woman LOL

Message 40 of 47
See Most Recent