Would Brexit YES voters vote differently now???

Pound Stirling clearly in trouble and most definately effect ebay sales across the board.

Message 1 of 197
See Most Recent
196 REPLIES 196

I voted out, and still would.

Just wish they'd get on with it! 

Message 41 of 197
See Most Recent

Let's imagine for a moment that, for some bizarre reason, we have another referendum and the result is that we vote to stay in the EU.

If, at some point, a noisy minority gets fed up of the EU then do we have another referendum?  And if we don't like the result of that then another?

This is why Cameron said at the outset that this would not be a Neverendum - we have a vote then stick with it.  If you open the door to another then there's no justification in ever accepting the result of any future vote.

The EU as we know it won't exist in 10 years anyway.  The plan is that it will never stay still, but will gradually take over all aspects of government for all the countries involved.  It will either completely fall apart or will congeal into one country of Germany plus its followers.  So staying in but staying as we are was never an option - it's "ever closer union" or leave.

Message 42 of 197
See Most Recent

@vsmusic2010 wrote:

Small sample but it suggests that if the vote was re-run now, the result would not be much different.

It wouldn't have to be much different to be completely different. The original vote was so close that the tiniest swing would change the result to a remain vote.

Message 43 of 197
See Most Recent

And if a re-run ended up with a small margin in favour of staying in the EU then would that be a good basis for remaining?

We've got be grown up and just accept the outcome, whatever the margin.  There isn't an alternative, as you can't stay in if the majority votes out, and there isn't a way of being partially in.

I don't see the point in dwelling on the outcome.  The decision has been made, so we all need to work together to make the best of it 

Message 44 of 197
See Most Recent

@rightgrand wrote:

And if a re-run ended up with a small margin in favour of staying in the EU then would that be a good basis for remaining?

Is the small margin for leaving that prevailed in the original vote a good basis for leaving?

Message 45 of 197
See Most Recent

Yes 1 referendum which all of the UK participated in.It was clear.David Cameron and his cronies set out what would happen and we all voted accordingly.

This is your decision

The Government will implement what you decide.

Message 46 of 197
See Most Recent

@roxcalibur wrote:

Is the small margin for leaving that prevailed in the original vote a good basis for leaving?

Yes - it's a majority, and that's how democracy works.

We have a prime minister that nobody's voted for, and Hilary Clinton got more votes than President Trump - there are lots of irregularities in a democracy but the referendum isn't one of them. We're doing the thing that more people voted for than didn't - there's nothing strange or unexpected about it.

Are you seriously suggesting that, in a democracy, we should do the thing that most people voted against and remain in the EU - just because you don't agree with it?

Message 47 of 197
See Most Recent

@rightgrand wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that, in a democracy, we should do the thing that most people voted against and remain in the EU - just because you don't agree with it?

I was just responding to a specific question the previous poster asked. I know that if the original result had been the other way round ie a narrow margin to remain we would have never heard the end of it, the tabloids, Sky, U.K.I.P. and prominent tories amongst many others would have all been up in arms demanding a re-count or second referendum.

Message 48 of 197
See Most Recent

Lots of us have put up with Labour councils for years

I live in Bolton for instance and here we have a Labour council and will have one for the foreseeable future

I cannot stand them but have not whinged or complained because the majority voted for them and that's what we call democracy.

Message 49 of 197
See Most Recent

We also voted to get rid of dodgy old Tony bLIAR, but sadly it doesn't stop him from trying to stir up trouble...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38996179

I would hope that most people treat his ideas with the contempt he deserves.

Message 50 of 197
See Most Recent

@rightgrand wrote:

We also voted to get rid of dodgy old Tony bLIAR,

I despise him as much as you do but it's best to stick to the facts. He wasn't voted out of office. He stepped aside to let Brown The Clown take over as PM.

Message 51 of 197
See Most Recent

Yes, my apologies - I'd tried to blank that part of history from my mind.

He saw that the plates had stopped spinning, handed the can over to the dumb junior and ran to the hills, singing "Thiiings can only get better".

We voted them out as soon as we next got the chance though.

By saying that people should "rise up", to my mind he's bordering on inciting disorder.

Speaking in the City of London, the former prime minister claimed that people voted in the referendum "without knowledge of the true terms of Brexit".

Dead right - we were told by all those with vested interests in the EU that the sun would go out the day after the referendum.  Perhaps this imaginary second referendum would result in more people voting leave as we've now seen what a load of rubbish they were talking.

Message 52 of 197
See Most Recent

So close? It really wasn't.

63 % (401/632) of parliamentary constiuentices voted to leave the EU.

To put this into perspective if the remain campaign had been a party at a general election they would have the second largest (the lagrest being Tony Blair in 1997) amount of MPs since 1931!

The only reason the vote looks close is because of how many people live in London.

Message 53 of 197
See Most Recent

Edit: I take that back, Blair got 413 in 2001. So the third, not the second.

@aprpryala wrote:

To put this into perspective if the remain campaign had been a party at a general election they would have the second largest (the lagrest being Tony Blair in 1997) amount of MPs since 1931!

The only reason the vote looks close is because of how many people live in London.

Message 54 of 197
See Most Recent

@aprpryala wrote:

It was a referendum not a general election. The result was not decided on constituency seats. Each vote was counted individually towards the result. 51.8% of those who voted cast a leave vote. It was therefore very close.

Message 55 of 197
See Most Recent

I totaly agree with your post . It makes me so mad when Nicola Sturgeon gets up and says "Scotland voted to remain in the EU" . Sorry Nicola but Scotland did NOT have a referendum on the EU of their own , there was only one referendum and it was UK wide and the only numbers that matter are the total LEAVE votes against the total REMAIN votes .

Message 56 of 197
See Most Recent

I would vote differently if it meant getting my free listings back

Message 57 of 197
See Most Recent

Yep - Scotland voted to remain the UK, and therefore to go along with the majority like any other region of the UK has to.

Let's emphasise it by renaming it the county of Scotshire.

Message 58 of 197
See Most Recent

Unfortuneately we up here in Scotland have to listen to the constant bleating of Nasty Nicola about independence and how the people of Scotland must be listened to about how they voted to stay in the EU !

Well Nasty Nicola why do you not listen to the Scottish people when they voted to remain within the UK and as such voted in the EU referendum as citizens of the UK and as part of a UK wide vote.

All Nasty Nicola and her cronies are interested in is independence and will use any excuse to try for another referendum on independence. Instead of doing that why not do as you were voted in to do and govern the country and adhere to your promises about it not costing any more to live in Scotland than it does anywhere else in the UK Nasty Nicola, oh that is unless you are a middle income earner where you will pay more income tax than anywhere else in the Uk, oh yes I almost forgot about the way you are now banding certain homes in Scotland to pay a lot more community charge.

S.N.P. interested in the people of Scotland ! ROLLOX ! They only have one agenda and hopefully when the next election comes around their agenda will be what day and time they have to sign on at the unemployment office.

Message 59 of 197
See Most Recent

@rightgrand wrote:

Yep - Scotland voted to remain the UK, and therefore to go along with the majority like any other region of the UK has to.

Let's emphasise it by renaming it the county of Scotshire.

What really annoys me about the EU referendum and the Scottish independence one is the way in which so many just seem to find that the lies told by all sides are perfectly acceptable. 

How can the result of a referendum really be the 'will of the people' when those campaigning blatantly mislead those who will be voting?  

One of the major planks of the 'no' campaign in the Scottish referendum was that by voting 'no' Scotland could remain a member of the EU.

In the EU referendum there were so many lies on both sides that all those taking part in the campaign should be totally ashamed of themselves!

Message 60 of 197
See Most Recent