Deno's Diary Part 3, A new Chapter

Deno (proper name De Novo) was adopted by FHG posters in 2005 when one of them, Shebalator, rescued him from slaughter.

Then - 700lbs underweight with a broken jaw and multiple other ills.

Photobucket

2008 - still struggling with sarcoids but finally fit enough to have a light rider up for the first time so he could
join his mates on a jaunt round the local lanes

Photobucket

2009 - due to sheb’s declining health, a new home was sought for Deno.
A very brave ebayer named upthecreekyetagain ( very apt name I think you will agree) agreed to take him on.
So, now Deno lives in Surrey with the Creeky family, plus 3 lovely mares. He has 5 acres of grass and orchards to roam in and is very happy.

Photobucket

His sarcoids still remain a problem, but a new vet is investigating them further to decide on the best course of palliative care.
Visits can be arranged, please contact Creeky for more info.

Deno is reliant on fundraising and donations for his food, medicines and all the things that make his world that bit nicer.

His in-depth story can be found on his website http://www.denorescuedhorse.co.uk/
and there is more info (including how you can join in and help him) on Elphaba’s Me Page.

This replaces his previous diary thread that had become too cumbersome to load.
And to mark the start of the next chapter of his life.

New Deno supporters always welcome!

Photobucket

Photobucket
deno 4 posh
Message 1 of 6,249
See Most Recent
6,248 REPLIES 6,248

alchemist-01
A new thread for Deno to go with his new address. :-D Photobucket
Alchy's sig
Message 2 of 6,249
See Most Recent

docannieblack
He looks gorgeous in the 3rd pic!!
static sig
Message 3 of 6,249
See Most Recent

He is such a handsome gentleman!

:-x

lil_fluffy_duck
Message 4 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Wow such a huge change in him, its impressive.

well done to all involved in his care :-x

*waves to creaky too lol*

My knight in shining armour turned out to be a tw@t in tinfoil

Photobucket

Message 5 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day

Deno Arrives

Here's the lorry he arrived in!

A few pics - no particular order - just as the got loaded to PB

Is it easier to put a saddle on this way up?

are you getting bored yet - :^O

What a funny face - 😮

And now I've taken his head collar off how are we going to catch him?

Yet more!

Can you see them?

More photos!

I told you the grass was getting long!

It's been a long day -

What a funny face - 😮

And now I've taken his head collar off how are we going to catch him?

Don't worry - not many more - 😄

OK the last batch for tonight - I'll no doubt bore you all to death with further ones over the next few days - :^O

"I traded in my entire collection of rare cheese to get you this petri dish"
"Oh. Well, I sold all my science equipment to get you this neat looking cheese slicer"
"Did you keep the receipt?"

Message 6 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day +1

Good morning all

Relieved to say that Deno has survived his first night in his new home without any major upsets.

It was a bit chaotic giving him his feed with the Coriolus in -

All carefully measured out to the correct dose and mixed with a little feed, a similar amount of feed, without the Coriolus for Cuddles to keep her occupied whilst Deno ate his. Very organised we thought until we put the buckets down and had the correct horse eating the correct feed and stood back.

First Deno decided to see if Cuddles' feed was better than his so Cuddles retaliated by going and eating some of Deno's at which stage Deno decided this wasn't on and left Cuddles' feed to go back to his. This "dance" continued until all the feed was gone - Lord knows how much Coriolus Deno actually got and how much Cuddles had - 😐

We will have to have another go this evening and hopefully that way Deno will get his daily dose.

We then washed Deno's sarcoids, having to use boiled salty water at the moment as we have run out of "wound powder" and "purple spray", (will buy some today). Carefully applied Vaseline to the sarcoids to stop the flys getting at them as well as "fly spray" - so what happens? Deno decides that Cuddles might like some of the vaseline and proceeds to rub himself against Cuddles wiping most of it off on her!

Hopefully things will get more organised as time goes on but in the meantime I have a feeling that we are going to get through an awful lot of Coriolus and vaseline!!

"Oh. Well, I sold all my science equipment to get you this neat looking cheese slicer"

Message 7 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day +2

A Cunning Plan

We have made some grated karrit sandwiches and put the coriolus in one of them -

so at 6:30 in the morning we traipse down to the orchard half asleep carrying said sandwiches eager to see if they work - beautiful early morning sunshine, birds are singing, light dew on the grass everything is fine with the world.

Arrive at the fence - no sign of Deno - no sign of Cuddles - copious amounts of calling - total failure! - Climb through fence risking severe electrocution - and walk into the orchard - after a few minutes it becomes obvious that a pleasant early morning walk is becoming less so - not having expected to be going walking in the woods Mrs C was in her jimjams and I had trainers on with no socks - neither outfits are fantastic protection from nettles and brambles

Rounding a corner we espy the buggers dears behind a group of trees - in relief we call out to them and they start walking - - - - away from us! We try to follow but after a few paces they are once more out of sight! After another few minutes we decide to say stuff it we'll try later after a nice cup of coffee.

Fighting our way through what now feels more and more like a jungle rather than a spring wood we reach the fence where we first started and what do we find - Deno and Cuddles standing there with a look on their faces that seems to be saying "what took you so long?"

Of course by now we had forgotten which sandwich had the coriolus in so had to take them out of the bag to check - at which stage we immediately got mugged by two horses who greedily chomped the sandwiches down - so we still don't know which horse got the coriolus - looks like we will have to make a feed up again tonight to make sure that Deno gets a full dose.

As we left them they looked well pleased with themselves

Wonders for tomorrow if we could try cornflakes and coriolus?

Message 8 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day +3

Third Time Lucky

Another day dawns in leafy Surrey and once more the sun peeps over the trees preparing itself to rise into a cloudless sky whilst casting long shadows across the sparkling grass.

Mrs C and I have not been up for long but fortified with strong mugs of coffee we prepare ourselves for yet another attempt at persuading the new family member to accept the coriolus tainted offerings.

Once more we prepare the karrit sandwiches, this time taking the excellent advice received to cut Deno's into triangles and Cuddles' into squares.

Suitably attired, jimjams and boots, we set off - perhaps not as confidently as yesterday but the sight of the dogs enjoying their early morning walk raises the spirits. As we approach the fence our hearts drop, once more no sign of life beyond the fence.

We look to the right and to the left at the same time exercising our lungs by calling as loud as possible for the terrible two - we even try practising strange whooping noises - all to no avail for over five minutes.

We are just about to give it all up as a bad job, having previously decided there was no way we were going to go searching for them today, when the sound of hooves echoes across the tree line.

What a fabulous sight to see the pair racing towards us:-

There is no confusion today over which sandwiches are which thanks to their shapes and both Deno and Cuddles devour them greedily - SUCCESS

After a final farewell pat we leave them to their own resources as we almost skip back to the house - yesssss, we have cracked it, we are proper Deno carers.

Message 9 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day +4

A Routine Established?

Slightly later getting up this morning as it's Saturday - good to have a lie in until 7!

Having enjoyed a fortifying mug of morning coffee and karrit sandwiches made the entire family, Mrs & Miss C, two dogs, two cats and myself), set off to find Deno and Cuddles.

Ivy decides it is a good idea to go the aerial route,

whilst the dogs think a more direct route is the right approach

To all our delight as we enter the field we can see both Deno and Cuddles waiting patiently for their morning sandwiches

The sandwiches are greedily accepted and showing true horsey gratitude they turn away and trot back into the orchard!

Message 10 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day +5

A Busy anf Joyful Day

The day started with me almost seeking a divorce - being a Sunday I was looking forward to my weekend lie in despite knowing we were expecting numerous visitors - I awoke to the sound of panic in Mrs C's voice accompanied by digs in the ribs - "Frank, Frank it's half past nine!!"

I sprang from the bed, forgetting all the normal aches and pains, ran throght the shower, the drops hardly touching me I washed so quick, and throwing my clothes on I dashed to the kitchen to make the necessary karrit sandwiches. As it was so late I thought "what the heck listening to the news on the radio won't make me much later".

Sandwiches made but needing to be cut, sharp knife in hand, I almost cut off my fingers as the voice from the radio announced, "hello to all you early risers the time is now 6 o'clock". A quick look at the clock on the cooker confirmed it was indeed 6 o'clock. It transpires that when Mrs C looked at the clock she had misinterpreted a quarter to 6 as half past nine. A strong mug of coffee and a few calming words from Mrs C eventually persuaded me to put the knife down.

A walk through the garden down to the orchard made me feel even calmer despite the best effort of all the birds to wind me up with their incessant din. Magnificent, there were Deno and Cuddles standing by the fence and maybe I was being a little paranoid when I felt sure they were laughing at me. Whatever their feelings they both quickly demolished the sandwiches - job done.

Back to the house for yet another caffeine injection and a sit down - not for long though - with visitors coming there is lots to do. Mrs C persuades the vacuum cleaner to eat 10 yards of speaker cable simultaneously turning my surround sound into the sound of silence and overheating the vacuum cleaner causing it to trip out. Still that has to wait off to Tescos so we can at least feed our visitors.

By 1 o'clock the BBQ is lit, the food is prepared and we have time to sit down in the garden - the blessed birds still haven't shut up but by now the sound is almost pleasant and we both doze off.

We are woken with a start by a phone call from the neighbours that the first of our visitors are in their drive. Still it makes a change from searching for horses to have to try and find Borzoi and Jackie. Introductions made it becomes obvious that they are understandably far more interested in meeting Deno than chatting with us!

Unfortunately I had not had time to fetch the camera to show the way in which Deno keenly greeted his visitors especially when he worked out that they had Polos. He really is a gentle giant welcoming attention from complete strangers. A quick tour for Borzoi of the orchard and it was back to see Deno who had decided the best place to stay was with Jackie who still had a few Polos left.

Yet more attention for Deno then it's into the garden for a sit down and a refreshing drink. Before long there is the sound of a car in the drive, it's Miss C and friend arriving complaining of a desparate hunger but still keen to first go and see Deno. Amazing the way he attracts attention from young ladies.

Back to the garden for yet another sit down but it's not long before we hear another car and this time it's Sheb and Colin-in-the-Middle. Brief all round introductions are made and it's quickly back to the orchard to see Deno. As Sheb crosses the field Denos head is raised to it's full height, the ears go forward and the bottom lip drops - the recognition and obvious pleasure is tear jerking. I will leave you to imagine the rest by saying there was lots of pats, treats and hugs for Deno - so much so that Cuddles started to get a bit uppity about all the attention the big boy was getting.

Another tour of the orchard accompanied by the dogs and it was back to the house where Sheb opened the large bag of goodies containing the "memory" gifts from the Deno competition. It soon became obvious that Sheb was getting quite emotional so we quietly left her to open the rest while the BBQ was prepared and we said goodbye to Borzoi and Jackie who had to get back to their animals.

With the BBQ ready we had to say goodbye to Colin who had so kindly driven Sheb all the way from Cornwall and now had to travel up to Leeds - he unfortunately couldn't stay for the BBQ, maybe he'd heard stories about my cooking?

We quickly set up the table for the BBQ in the field in clear view of Deno and Cuddles and enjoyed a leisurely meal in the bright afternoon sunshine. With a last goodbye to Deno and Cuddles we returned to the house for a drink before I take Sheb to a local hotel.

It's time for bed now as I am picking Sheb up early in the morning so that she can say a final goodbye to Deno before catching her flight from Gatwick.

Message 11 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day +6

Sheb Says Goodbye and A Lazy Day

Finally had a bank holiday lie-in – no movement in the Creeky household until 7:30 – a leisurely breakfast followed by a manic period of washing-up and the detritus of the previous day’s activities was no longer evident.

It was soon time to collect Sheb from her hotel. The skies were dark and a little rain was falling as we arrived back at Creekyland with time for Sheb to say farewell to Deno – with karrit sandwiches already prepared, Sheb and Mrs. C braved the rain and set off to feed the terrible two their breakfast whilst I tried, without success, to find a suitable adapter for Sheb’s laptop which had inadvertently been left behind in Cornwall.

All too soon it was time for Sheb to leave for the airport – after goodbye hugs all round Sheb was safely deposited outside the North Terminal – with an obvious mixture of emotions and a final wave she set off to brave the Easyjet experience.

With the weather brightening up Mrs C and I settled down for a lazy holiday Monday. We had just got comfortable when Miss C arrived home and announced that two of her friends were going to pop in at lunchtime to see Deno. Oh well, plenty of food in the fridge and Mrs C makes a mean chocolate cake – didn’t really want a lazy day.

As soon as Miss C’s friends arrived they were press ganged into helping to groom Deno and assist while his sarcoids were washed, treated with wound powder and covered in Vaseline.

Of course it was necessary to distract him with a little food

Sarcoids treated

Looking smart - apart from mane which he decided to shake!

In the meantime two of our good friends rang and asked if they too could pop in and see the famous horse – “of course, it’s open house” was the reply. They arrived as the skies were starting to darken once more, together with Miss C’s best friend who is almost one of the family.

Yet more treats for Deno and Cuddles ensued together with many admiring remarks. We returned to the house leaving Miss C to collect next year’s rose fertilizer.

By six the house was quiet and we were ready to start our Bank Holiday break . . . .

Message 12 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day +7

Nothing to Report and An Appointment Cancelled

After the weekend excesses I am pleased to report that today there is nothing to report! The day started early as usual and the karrit sandwiches were made without fuss.

The weather could have been kinder but you could almost hear the garden sighing with relief as it sucked up the falling rain. On reaching the fence we are greeted with some nonchalance by both Deno and Cuddles who patiently wait for us to feed them the prepared sandwiches. Not feeling inclined to linger in the rain we returned to the house and the terrible two meandered back to the shelter of the trees.

During the day I unfortunately have to ring the vet and postpone his booked visit for tomorrow due to unexpected work commitments - fortunately he is very understanding and forgoes any cancellation fee.

On returning home Mrs C and I stroll down to the orchard to check everything is Ok as well as to be mugged by the pair for the polos and karrits being carried. Refilling the decahedron with pony nuts we leave Deno and Cuddles to fight between themselves for the right to play with it.

Another successful day - 🙂

Sorry no photos - :(

Message 13 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day +8

A Crisis Approaches

The Creeky household is getting well into the routine now - karrit sandwiches put together and served to the waiting customers without fuss despite the pouring rain - the tumble drier has been working overtime during the last couple of days.

A full days work is completed in the knowledge that there is the pleasure of the great outdoors awaiting on completion.

Arriving home at 7 it is still light enough to wend our way down to the orchard with Polos and karrits to hand. On arrival at the fence there is no sign of the horses and even the dogs seem a little concerned, loud calls fail to produce a result - nothing for it but to traverse the fence and venture into the tree line.

Rounding the corner we can see Deno and this time a call results in him moving towards rather than away from us.

And closer . . .

Polos are spotted . . . .

And quickly eaten . . . .

It is after the tube of Polos has been shared that Mrs C asks if I have any more - Nooooooooooo - CRISIS - we have run out of Polos - Even Deno recognisises the severity of the situation and wanders of with a disconsolate walk

Nothing for it but to send Miss C off to Tescos to get some fresh supplies - :^O

Message 14 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day +9

Another Routine Day

Today was hopefully the sign of things to come - nothing really exceptional to report - karrit sandwiches made, delivered and eaten without fuss - sarcoids checked, cleaned and treated, again without fuss - evening check made, Polos offered and accepted, no problem.

Sorry guys but it really was a routine day - :)

Message 15 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day +10

Come Out and Play

The morning routine was carried out without incident although it has to be said it was a much nicer day than yesterday with a faint miss kissing the grass and the sun rising above the trees.

After a hard days work it was a delight to return home and venture down to the orchard in the evening sunlight. The low sun lit up one of the young oak trees in a delightful way

There was no sign of either Cuddles or Deno as we approached the fence until a slight movement caught our eyes, there were the terrible two hiding in the field shelter - not for long though when they realised we were holding karrits, Polos and bread!

It's good to see that Deno's sarcoids are looking so much better, the one on the head in particular - the one on Deno's which was open and bleeding when he arrived is now no longer bleeding and looks much less sore.

There was the usual dishing out of treats, once again gratefully received, the decahedron was filled with a few pony nuts and then it was time to leave them in peace and wander back to the house

Message 16 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day +11

A Picture of a Day

Message 17 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day +13 (Sunday 31/5/09)

Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer

Lazy, well I'm not sure about that - Hazy, I suspect a few bottles of good wine had something to do with that - Crazy, certainly was - read on . . . .

The day started in what has become the norm of late, early rise, clear skies and a stroll through the garden to present Deno and Cuddles with their karrit sandwiches - heaven. It's only when fully awake that reality strikes and it becomes obvious when looking around that some housework really should have been done the previous day!

Still a concerted effort and within an hour or so you could actually see a work surface in the kitchen although not all the floor in the lounge was visible. No time to dally though as my brother and sister-in-law plus two of their children and rather large dog were expected soon.

By 3 the wine was nicely chilled, the burgers, salad, and desserts were made, the salmon prepared - it was time to relax. Within minutes however our expected visitors were in the drive, the dogs were going crazy and I was on the floor having been run over by the crazy hounds in the race to the front door.

Before long some semblance of order had been established, the chilled bottles of wine had been opened and the fridge re-stocked with ones brought by my brother.

Imagine the scene an hour later - children in the garden, together with the dogs doing whatever kids and dogs do in the sunshine, Mrs C, brother, sister-in-law and myself sitting on the settee surrounded by numerous empty bottles enjoying the breeze blowing through the open patio doors and discussing how I was Mozzled into meeting Deno.

And then the phone rings, answered by my wife - "Hello can I speak to Creeky please?" - "Who?" - "Mr Creeky" - "Pardon?" - "Is that Mrs Creeky?" - "I think you must have the wrong number . . . oh! hang on you must mean Frank, sorry it's all the wine".

To cut a long story short it turns out that Biker is on her way back from Somerset on her way to Derby and thinks that Gatwick is on the way - 😮 With a little persuasion she is soon convinced that it is no problem at all if she pops in despite us all being slightly tipsy!.

By 5 the BBQ is ready and right on cue a camper van pulls into the drive - once more pandemonium reigns but this time our dogs are have been joined by Pippin, my brothers dog so I decide discretion is the better part of valour and pass the honour of opening the front door to Mrs C - lucky she did as she was presented with the most beautiful bunch of flowers - :-x

Biker plus the two grandchildren must have wondered what was happening as they were quickly ushered through the house and into the back garden so that there eyes didn't have time to dwell on the mess!

I have to interrupt the story at this point to compliment Biker and her daughter on her two delightful grandchildren - it really was a pleasure to meet such polite, well mannered and yet natural children.

Anyway back to the tale - after all the necessary introductions were made we made our way down to he orchard to see Deno and Cuddles, I must say that if I was of a more sensitive nature it would be a little disconcerting how most of my visitors these days only want to spend time with my four legged charges - :^O

On the way to see Deno, Biker and Grandchildren laden with karrits and Polos, they were mugged by Cuddles who was being groomed by Miss C - Deno having been groomed earlier was behind the electric fence.

They did eventually manage however to get to Deno:-

Karrit supply depleted there followed a very quick tour of Deno's new stomping ground including the river which of course had to be checked out by the dogs

. . . . on the way back we were ambushed for the remaining Polos . . .

. . . and then it was time to leave the horses to their own devices abd get some food on the BBQ. Biker has some lovely pictures of the children having a ride on Cuddles as well as less flattering ones of me disappearing into a cloud of smoke as I attempted to cook on a red hot bed of coals - maybe she can be persuaded to post them - ]:)

The only ones I have of this part of the day are:-

Before too long it was time to say a reluctant farewell to Biker and co this being topped off by a most generous contribution to the Deno karrit and Polo fund . . .

Message 18 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Diary entry - Week 3

A Quiet Week

This week has passed without any real incident - Karrit sandxwiches have been gratefully accepted each morning without fuss

The decahedron so kindly donated by a loyal Defender has been greatly appreciated, at least by Deno! He really seems to enjoy it when we have to navigate the electric fencing to retrieve the empt ball and then try to escape with it without being trampled under foot - especially when the heavens have opened and we are soaking wet.

Once refilled with pony nuts we have the joy of ensuring that the right horse has the right decahedron - sometimes I think Deno is going off pink - 😮

As mentioned in previous Diary entries it is really quite astounding the amount of rose feed Deno produces - dont believe me! This was cleared yesterday from just outside the stable area!

Thanks to the kind donation left by last weeks visitor we have invested in a suitably coloured implement to help clear up:-

Of course being pink it is only really suitable for either Mrs C or Miss C to use - 😄

Anyway that's all there really is to report this week - will post another update soon

Message 19 of 6,249
See Most Recent

D-Day Week 4

The Vet Calls

The vet has just left having given a Deno a thorogh check over - she spent the best part of an hour examining Deno very closely despite a few tantrums from Cuddles who had been separated from Deno and Denos attempt tp stamp on the vet's box of bits and pieces.

She checked his chest/breathing, heart, mouth/teeth and hooves as well as a long time inspecting the numerous sarcoids on Deno.

The good news is that apart from the sarcoids and hooves he is in very good health and condition. She has recommended that we have the farrier call as soon as possible, (he is actually already booked for later this month), because two of his hooves are cracked and she feels that it might be best to have shoes put on him until these improve.

She is going to return in 3 months by which time we will hopefully have a full record of all the vaccinations Deno has had as well as the medical records from his Cornish vet. She will also sedate Deno on this visit in order to allow a full examination of his teeth and carry out any necessary dental treatment.

Regarding the sarcoids she has asked if we could take detailed photographs of these and then a further set in a months time for comparitive purposes. She has offered to send copies of these to Derek Knottenbelt at Liverpool University in order to get an opinion, (free of charge), from him on the best palliative care to be taken.

Now for the bad news - she has pointed out that whilst sarcoids are not directly transmittable the virus can be transmitted by flies from one horse to another. She feels that Cuddles is at little risk from this so long as we take care to protect any small scratches she may get from flies and just to keep an eye out for any early indications of sarcoids on her, (apparently if they are caught early then they can be successfully controlled). Not only that she says Cuddles is in fine condition and her immune system is likely to be able to fight any virus before it can develop into sarcoids.

Ruby and Ellie are another matter however, being young horses who have not yet got a fully developed immune system, she has recommended that we do not introduce them. Whilst the risk of picking up the virus is small it apparently is higher in young horses and in elederly horses. We have taken the decision therefore to keep them apart, certainly for the near future.

I will do a further update soon.

Message 20 of 6,249
See Most Recent