Deno's Diary Part 3, A new Chapter

Deno (proper name De Novo) was adopted by FHG posters in 2005 when one of them, Shebalator, rescued him from slaughter.

Then - 700lbs underweight with a broken jaw and multiple other ills.

Photobucket

2008 - still struggling with sarcoids but finally fit enough to have a light rider up for the first time so he could
join his mates on a jaunt round the local lanes

Photobucket

2009 - due to sheb’s declining health, a new home was sought for Deno.
A very brave ebayer named upthecreekyetagain ( very apt name I think you will agree) agreed to take him on.
So, now Deno lives in Surrey with the Creeky family, plus 3 lovely mares. He has 5 acres of grass and orchards to roam in and is very happy.

Photobucket

His sarcoids still remain a problem, but a new vet is investigating them further to decide on the best course of palliative care.
Visits can be arranged, please contact Creeky for more info.

Deno is reliant on fundraising and donations for his food, medicines and all the things that make his world that bit nicer.

His in-depth story can be found on his website http://www.denorescuedhorse.co.uk/
and there is more info (including how you can join in and help him) on Elphaba’s Me Page.

This replaces his previous diary thread that had become too cumbersome to load.
And to mark the start of the next chapter of his life.

New Deno supporters always welcome!

Photobucket

Photobucket
deno 4 posh
Message 1 of 6,249
See Most Recent
6,248 REPLIES 6,248

We have had a bit of a panic tonight with Deno - the vet has been here for two hours and has only just left - 10:45pm

We went down to check on Deno and Cuddles, to give him his goodnight karrit and clean up the rose fertiliser they had dumped in the stable area and field shelter.

Whilst we did this we gave a handfull of chaff and a few pony nuts to both horses to keep them occupied. We had just started cleaning up when Deno started coughing and drooling large amounts of mucus - he was having a hard time breathing then he went down and was unable to breath - I massaged his neck vigourously and after a few minutes he coughed, started breathing again and got up.

He was still breathing poorly and coughing when I dashed back to the house and phoned the vet - he came out immediately and diagnosed the problem as "choke" - i.e. food caught in the oesophagus - he gave Deno an injection to relax the muscles in the throat and after a about five minutes Deno started breathing properly again and the obvious lump in the neck where the food had got caught was gone - so thankfully it was not necessary to introduce a stomach tube which is what the vet had been preparing.

After a final check he gave Deno an antibiotic injection and provided us with 10 sachets of antibiotics to give him twice a day for the next five days - this is to hopefully prevent any chance of Deno getting pneumonia which can happen if he has breathed in any of the mucus.

"I traded in my entire collection of rare cheese to get you this petri dish"
"Oh. Well, I sold all my science equipment to get you this neat looking cheese slicer"
"Did you keep the receipt?"

Message 21 of 6,249
See Most Recent

toweryflats
Phew lots of copy pasting for creeky there lol

hope all is well tody too 🙂

morning all
Photobucket
Message 22 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Oo nice new thread
Photobucket
Message 23 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable
Morning everyone,

hopes someone has copied Deno 3,
I'll give it a go, but am down a pc ATM, and time too.

Good news though,
Tiggy ate a whole pouch of food yesterday!
Message 24 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Morning all 🙂

Lovely comfy new thread, thank you Gothic.

*knocks a couple of paintings off-skew and trails mud in*

Lots of c&p'ing for you Creeky, but worth it.

I saw Tigs had eaten decently Angel, really pleased for you :-x

Going to try and get a couple of bits up for the lad today, and will start on the job of copying 'tother thread. Too much to do and no energy to do it with so if anyone has a mallet that increases toddlers desire for sleep, please share! :_|

Photobucket
Message 25 of 6,249
See Most Recent

toweryflats
talking of copying the thread

has anyone seen/ heard from Stuart lately?
Photobucket
Message 26 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Wow! 😮

Brill piccies, and I love reading the diary :-x
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Grow your own dope...
Plant a politician.
Message 27 of 6,249
See Most Recent

mouse4702
Conversationalist
Lovely, a great read.
Message 28 of 6,249
See Most Recent

A little nudge up for Deno
Photobucket
Message 29 of 6,249
See Most Recent

A little nudge up for Deno
Photobucket
Message 30 of 6,249
See Most Recent

alchemist-01
... and another one from me. :-D Photobucket
Alchy's sig
Message 31 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Lovely to see Deno looking so well and what a lovely home he has.:-x

Photobucket
Message 32 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Dives in to say I've got 2 DENO FHG up

More later in the week, thanks to a combo of Merlin and Alchemist.

His latest attempt to scare us all rigid means that yet again the hard fought for 'cushion' in his piggy bank has gone on vet fees and the polo and karrit fund is going to be suffering from moths 😞

Levity aside, its the usual business of him needing meds and vet treatment and farrier visits.....all at once :_|

Photobucket
Message 33 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Week 4

Back to Normal - Well Almost

Well following the scare of earlier in the week I am happy to report an air of normaility has settled on Creekyland.

Instead of making grass porridge with antibiotics we fell back on the proven recipe of karrit sandwiches laced with the antibiotics instead of coriolus - these were accepted with far better grace by Deno than yesterdays slop!

We have bought some more electric fencing posts today which has allowed us to fence out another grazing area and a defined grooming area - we hope to have time this weekend to fence out a further area - these areas will help in the winter months when grazing is scarce and will allow us hopefully to prevent the whole area becoming a mud bath.

Of course whilst we were doing this there was no escaping the terrible two who insisted on payment in the form of karrits and polos if we were to be allowed in their domain - Rather than risk a repeat of Tuesdays panic we carefully chopped up the karrits - :^O

We also took the opportunity to clean Deno's sarcoids and coat them liberally with the Vaseline so kindly donated by Lara.

Before long the fencing was finished . . . . .

. . . . . and Deno and Cuddles were let into the new area:-

After a short coffee break back at the house it was time for Deno's evening karrit sandwich and antibiotic:-

There was however a problem - with the ample supply of fresh grass neither were interested in karrit sandwiches!!! Fortunately I had a packet of Polos in my pocket the scent of which is irrestible to Deno - once he hd ambled over, consumed a Polo or ten and seen off Cuddles who was also interested in the Polos he turned his attention to demolishing the karrit sandwiches

Karrit sandwiches demolished Deno and Cuddles returned to the demanding task of converting as much of the grass into manure as quickly as possible.

Further pictures are available in Deno's Bucket:-

http://photobucket.com/DENO_album

"Oh. Well, I sold all my science equipment to get you this neat looking cheese slicer"

Message 34 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Morning all and lovely update....looks as if Deno has recovered quicker than our shredded nerves :-D

Photobucket
Message 35 of 6,249
See Most Recent

It's only a relatively small area Lady and neither Deno nor Cuddles have shown any tendency towards getting laminitis

Message 36 of 6,249
See Most Recent

They do look happy
Photobucket
Message 37 of 6,249
See Most Recent

can I borrow them to cut my grass? lol
aaw Im Glad Deno seems to have settled in nicely and has made a new friend too :-x

its been 17 years yet it still feels like only yesterday 😞 :-x

Photobucket

Message 38 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Have not had a chance to write a Diary entry today which is a shame because the antics of Deno trying to find out how to get to the fenced off square that Cuddles was in was hilarious - will see what I can do after this weekend is over.

In the meantime I have uploaded the few photos taken today to Deno's Bucket

http://photobucket.com/DENO_album

Message 39 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Morning all and lovely start to the day, dipping in the Bucket as had 2 days to catch up on 🙂

Thank goodness it's no longer film 'photos we use....take less, wait for developing, add the cost...plus the handy delete function :-D

Photobucket
Message 40 of 6,249
See Most Recent