Deno's Diary Part 3, A new Chapter

Deno (proper name De Novo) was adopted by FHG posters in 2005 when one of them, Shebalator, rescued him from slaughter.

Then - 700lbs underweight with a broken jaw and multiple other ills.

Photobucket

2008 - still struggling with sarcoids but finally fit enough to have a light rider up for the first time so he could
join his mates on a jaunt round the local lanes

Photobucket

2009 - due to sheb’s declining health, a new home was sought for Deno.
A very brave ebayer named upthecreekyetagain ( very apt name I think you will agree) agreed to take him on.
So, now Deno lives in Surrey with the Creeky family, plus 3 lovely mares. He has 5 acres of grass and orchards to roam in and is very happy.

Photobucket

His sarcoids still remain a problem, but a new vet is investigating them further to decide on the best course of palliative care.
Visits can be arranged, please contact Creeky for more info.

Deno is reliant on fundraising and donations for his food, medicines and all the things that make his world that bit nicer.

His in-depth story can be found on his website http://www.denorescuedhorse.co.uk/
and there is more info (including how you can join in and help him) on Elphaba’s Me Page.

This replaces his previous diary thread that had become too cumbersome to load.
And to mark the start of the next chapter of his life.

New Deno supporters always welcome!

Photobucket

Photobucket
deno 4 posh
Message 1 of 6,249
See Most Recent
6,248 REPLIES 6,248

Hope all’s well in creaky land xxxx

?I guess I should warn you. If you know what I said, you've probably misunderstood.?
Message 6242 of 6,249
See Most Recent

It's a sad day in Creekyland - Deno has gone for his final sleep disappointed_relieved

His endocrine system failed and his levels of insulin were affected such that he got laminitis in all four legs - so bad that in his fore legs the pedal bone was pushing on the soft tissue at the base of the feet - it was so bad that the vet said it would only be a matter of days before it broke through.

He was in a great deal of pain over the last 24 hours and it really wasn't fair on him to carry on with treatment.

He was put to sleep this morning and will be buried later today in one of his favourite spots.

Posh stayed with him while he fell asleep and when his heart stopped she gave him one last sniff of the nose, turned away and returned to the stable area.

Very sad but at least he had a contented and happy time here.

Message 6243 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Oh my gosh, Creeky... I'm so sorry.  cry  Somehow I imagined he'd go on forever.

Thank you so much for the splendid care you've taken of him, he had a wonderful life with you and I'm sorry that I never did get to meet him and feed him polo mints and carrit sandwiches.  {Deno Horse}broken_heart

Message 6244 of 6,249
See Most Recent

... and thank you again Creeky for all the photos that you've posted over the years.  You and your family have done all the work and we posters here have benefited, sharing in the joy of Deno and all the other glorious equines at Creekyland.  All the pleasure, none of the slog but don't think that it hasn't been appreciated, it really has.

I'm still in shock, I really did think Deno would go on forever... he's going to leave a heck of a Deno-shaped hole at Creekyland, I'm sure.  heart

Message 6245 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Frank 
I can only really echo what go go girl has said. You kind of think he will be around forever. Sadly as we know that is never the case. And leaving him to suffer wasn’t up for negotiation, but making that ultimate selfless decision? Oh gosh how hard.
I can't even begin to imagine how you and family must be feeling.
Indeed he certainly had a very contented life there.
He has without question left a huge hoof print on mine and my grandchildren’s hearts.
I wish there was something that could be said that would help but I know there isn’t
Love to all three of you xx

?I guess I should warn you. If you know what I said, you've probably misunderstood.?
Message 6246 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Posh is missing Deno cry

301BB49F-1F6B-4A3D-9EC7-0E0F2D6051C3.jpeg

Message 6247 of 6,249
See Most Recent

I expect she would be missing him, he's been a constant companion for so long.  It's sad to think of though, that horses feel bereft in the same way that we do but they're sentient, aren't they? 😞

I expect everybody who's ever come to look at Deno - the vet(s), Freddie the farrier, eveyrbody really, will feel the loss of him.  It must be unbearable for the Creeky family though, really sharply, sad. 

I'm Alch by the way, changed usernames years ago to this one but I'm one of the original Deno fans and I still have and use the Deno bookmarks produced for MDCC way back when... <waves to Biker>

Thinking of you all,

Jenny

Message 6248 of 6,249
See Most Recent

Memories of last summer:-

51633659-103A-4304-AE7C-271EC6157689.jpeg

5F42492F-2DAD-4AC4-936E-9EB728C68504.jpeg

Message 6249 of 6,249
See Most Recent