Would Brexit YES voters vote differently now???

Pound Stirling clearly in trouble and most definately effect ebay sales across the board.

Message 1 of 197
See Most Recent
196 REPLIES 196

Re: Would Brexit YES voters vote differently now???

It's your choice who to vote for or even to vote at all. Think yourself lucky you get a chance to vote rather than being told who to support. You wanna have a country like N Korea?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 181 of 197
See Most Recent

I know my voting intentions - voting card, meet shredder.  If I don't throw my vote away then the voting system will.

Round here you could slap a blue rosette on a donkey and it would win.  There's no point in voting either for or against - either way my vote would make precisely zero difference, either in support of or against the government.

I did vote in the referendum for the first time in years, just because it was just a simple national count so my vote wouldn't be binned by the voting system.

Although I may write words to this effect on my spoilt ballot paper as I've done before, to prove I'm not just being lazy.

Message 182 of 197
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

It's your choice who to vote for or even to vote at all. Think yourself lucky you get a chance to vote rather than being told who to support. You wanna have a country like N Korea?

It's not valid to say that we shouldn't expect better just because there's worse in existence.

Message 183 of 197
See Most Recent

It's up to responsible voters to try to make better of a system they see as poor, (no matter how misguided they are).

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 184 of 197
See Most Recent

I do vote for the candidate I believe best represents my views, irrespective of their party allegiance. 

It's not responsible voters that are the problem it is the vast majority who don't vote for the candidate but for the party they represent.

Ask anyone who they voted for at the last election and 99 times out of a hundred they won't give the name of the candidate but rather the name of a party.

Message 185 of 197
See Most Recent

I Agree with you creeky most people are tied to a party and will always be. I would vote for certain candidates from all parties providing I thought they were genuine and made the right noises. Which makes me different I guess.
Message 186 of 197
See Most Recent

I'd say that not voting (or better still voting but spoiling your ballot paper) can make a more powerful statement than picking the least-bad option or wasting a vote in a safe seat where it's not going to make any difference to anything.

Voting for any of the candidates is stating that we're content with the voting system that we have.  At present, most people's votes make absolutely no different to who their MP or prime minister is, so they may as well not bother.  Democracy only exists in the minority of seats where there's a narrow margin between the parties.

Message 187 of 197
See Most Recent

They always used to announce the number of spoiled ballot papers when the the constituency declared its result.  Do they still do this?

The few declarations I've seen in recent years have not given the numbers, haven't been sure if it's been cut by the TV company or if they are not announced at all.

Message 188 of 197
See Most Recent

@rightgrand wrote:

I'd say that not voting (or better still voting but spoiling your ballot paper) can make a more powerful statement than picking the least-bad option or wasting a vote in a safe seat where it's not going to make any difference to anything.

Voting for any of the candidates is stating that we're content with the voting system that we have.  At present, most people's votes make absolutely no different to who their MP or prime minister is, so they may as well not bother.  Democracy only exists in the minority of seats where there's a narrow margin between the parties.

Doesn't even exist in those cases when it is party HQ that selects the candidate.  Sure there is a choice, a choice between candidates that are more beholden to the party than they are to the electorate.

Message 189 of 197
See Most Recent

Speaking of North Korea, it annoys me that we look down on them for having an unelected, unaccountable head of state that spends a fortune on self-worship, pomp and ceremony, the population worships them without question, leadership is passed down in the family and daring to question their legitimacy is frowned upon.

Meanwhile...

Message 190 of 197
See Most Recent

What a completely meaningless comparison you make, Quite frankly I get sick and tired of people knocking the royals who unlike the rest of us cannot even fart when they want too! Yes they live a privileged life but that's where the similarities end. We can at least openly criticise in the uk whereas to do so in North Korea could lead to a life of hard labour!

Message 191 of 197
See Most Recent

@rightgrand wrote:

...and daring to question their legitimacy is frowned upon.

Message 192 of 197
See Most Recent

Disillusionment with politics isn't a recent phenomena.It's very evident in Swifts's works some 300 years ago
All too often circumstances seem to conspire to trade down political discourse and general culture to the lowest common denominator - a political entropy

Politicians tend to mislead because there is an advantage in doing so, and a culture that fosters it, not just within Westminster but outside it and a 'desire' almost by certain sections of the public to want to be misled rather than face themselves or a more complex world

You don't have to look very far to see those who would prefer to believe their own prejudice rather than having to confront it
It is a scientific fact that 200 million illegal immigrants are in a telephone box at Dover awaiting a phone call to release them.Europe is filled with power crazed dictators ready to invade Poland hoping to find the odd plumber left, prisons are 5* resorts, with meals by Fortnums free internet and extensive exotic holidays. The list goes on, largely fueled by a biased unelected press and a gullible public
It is in various ways a two way process that all conspire in, though not all desire.

I'm sure that were people not to vote in significant numbers consistently, it would force some confrontation of our own system, and would represent a democratic choice of rejection But Im sometimes here reminded of the prisoner strung up on the wall in 'Life of Brian, who endlessly moans and groans while at the same time demanding harsher penalties and supporting his captors

Most odd, as is the person who convinced himself that in a previous life he was 'little Lord Fauntleroy' and proceeded to act on that basis in this life, pompously appointing himself to an office that didn't exist, and powers he never had.Not surprisingly he fell from his little pedestal quite quickly. But old dogs and new tricks are never a good mix

Message 193 of 197
See Most Recent

@j_uk643 wrote:

I'm sure that were people not to vote in significant numbers consistently, it would force some confrontation of our own system, and would represent a democratic choice of rejection

Isn't that exactly what's happened in local elections, turnout is often down to the the low 20%s and I think that figure is 20ish % of those registered so is even less as a % of the eligible electorate.

I remarked, in my local after one election, that if I bought everyone there a pint I could have won hands-down and become a councillor.  Someone replied that I wouldn't as most of those there didn't bother to register.

To vote for none of the candidates is a a valid choice but falling turnout at all elections hasn't yet forced any confrontation within the system because although the politicians wring their hands and bemoan "voter apathy" the situation suits them.

In reality I think it demonstrates "voter disenchantment and disgust " with the system as it is and the referendum result was as much a vote against the system and the people who run it as anything else.

Message 194 of 197
See Most Recent

Local election turnout has been relatively low for a considerable period of time, so it's nothing new, nor is it  viewed in the same way as national elections, rightly or wrongly.Some parish council posts go unfilled/uncontested.

If voter turnout was the same at national elections as it is at local level, its likely it would be a problem.Turnout at national level tends to be in the 60-70% range currently.It's probably fair to say the long term trend appears down from the broad 70-80% of earlier times. It would be very difficult however to write off a very large sudden drop, especially over a relatively short time scale simply as voter apathy.  Very difficult however to see that situation happening , nor is it clear exactly how that would play out if it did, but it would focus attention.

the referendum result was as much a vote against the system and the people who run it as anything else.
I would say that there's something in that, although some might say at 72% or so turnout compared with 66% at the 15 election that the active disillusioned are not quite as numerous as some might think, or alternatively they didn't see it as significantly more different/more important than national elections, assuming a valid comparison

Message 195 of 197
See Most Recent

Appears the euro-wreckers dreams have come to little 

Macron 66%

le Pen 34%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIxOl1EraXA

Message 196 of 197
See Most Recent

You have to hand it to the French on the anthem front

Message 197 of 197
See Most Recent