Technological help...please?

I have a problem that I hope someone on here may be able to help with. It is driving me practically insane...and I have to solve it soon!

We have developed the most annoying pulsating hum in our house. I can hear it very clearly. My OH can't hear it because he is very hard of hearing. It's not there all the time...it seems to come and go. It is centred on our sitting room, and seems to change its location in the room. Sometimes it's strongest near the door, another time it is strongest in the centre of the room. It began about a month ago, and  I have given it much thought  and the only thing that has changed in the house is the Sky box. We did have a white one, but they sent us a black one which has been installed. When I sat down to type this post it was humming away nicely, but now it has stopped. 

Has anyone on here ever experienced an unexplained 'hum', or has anyone got any suggestions as to what it could be?

Message 1 of 43
See Most Recent
42 REPLIES 42

What type of central heating do you have
Message 2 of 43
See Most Recent

Switch the box off for a few hours when you don't need to use it.

If the hum goes, it may be the box.

If it doesn't then might be worth investigating further, perhaps with a hearing check ?

Message 3 of 43
See Most Recent

I would have a word with Sky....

We have a virgin Media box in our lounge.    When we first put the tv and box on in the morning, it does initially hum quite loudly for about 3 -4 minutes then it stops for the rest of the day/evening with no probs.  

Message 4 of 43
See Most Recent

You need to go through a process of elimination to determine what is the culprit.

Switch one thing off at a time and switch it back on if that doesn't stop it. Go round everything that's "on" or "working" one at a time until you find out what it is that's causing the hum.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 43
See Most Recent

As has been said, you'll have to try to work through things one by one; to eliminate them. Electronic hum ( your box or other electrical equipment ), your heating ( pipes humming or water pressure variation ) and also ( and I'm not kidding ) wasps or bees trapped in the roof space / rafters. We've had problems around these parts, this past several months, with wasps and bees in houses........it's been an unusually bad year apparently.

Message 6 of 43
See Most Recent

Tinnitus.

Just joking.

Message 7 of 43
See Most Recent

We have gas central heating, with radiators. It did cross my mind that it could be the central heating pump, but I don't think that's it. It's humming. Now, but the heating is off.

Message 8 of 43
See Most Recent

Nothing wrong with my hearing Kats...I asked my sister to come and listen one evening and she can hear it too. We have tried switching the box off etc, but there doesn't seem to be any definite pattern to it. It hums mainly in the evenings.

Message 9 of 43
See Most Recent

I think you need to borrow an ear trumpet and take it to the window, doors and all solid surfaces to isolate where it is eminating from.
If you adopt CDs methodical approach you should solve it before Christmas.
Message 10 of 43
See Most Recent

Can water pipes hum? We do have very high water pressure here...I will have to look into that.

Message 11 of 43
See Most Recent

Christmas? I will be insane by then!😂. I forget who suggested a call to Sky....but I think that's actually a very good idea. They might. Have come across the problem before. 

Message 12 of 43
See Most Recent

You're convinced it's the box? Try googling "sky box humming" and see what others have found.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 13 of 43
See Most Recent

Is it the Bristol hum you are hearing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

I am in Bristol and hear it occassionally, I dont have Sky.

I think you are just over the bridge.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 43
See Most Recent

Re: Sky HD box is making buzzing sound

Could be caused by vibration from a cooling fan running at high speed, or the hard drive, or the mains transformer. Try a software refresh to rule out a glitch causing the fan to run at full speed.

To do this, first switch the box off at the plug and wait for 5 minutes. Then press and hold the backup button on the box while switching on again at the plug. Keep the backup button pressed until all 4 LEDs light up on the front panel (can take up to 60 seconds) then follow the on screen instructions.

If that doesn't fix it, I think you'll need to call Sky and arrange an engineer visit.

Petal
Message 15 of 43
See Most Recent

Thanks Petal...I will ask my OH to do that tomorrow. I don't touch the Sky box! I will also call Sky. It is the most peculiar thing, and you could bet your last penny that if I called out a Sky engineer, it wouldn't be humming when he turned up!  

Thanks to everyone who has posted....I will show all the posts to my OH tomorrow to see if anything rings a bell with him. It isn't actually bothering him, because he can't hear it!

Message 16 of 43
See Most Recent

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=sky+box+humming

found a load of stuff Astro on the linkSmiley Happy

Petal
Message 17 of 43
See Most Recent

I have just done a bit of research and it seems that this pulsating hum can be caused by Smart meters! I haven't got one, but maybe my neighbours have had one installed. Very interesting! I will have to find out.

Message 18 of 43
See Most Recent

Photobuckethmmm Or A Fishtank Pump Playing Up Next Door, Had It Here A Few Years Ago.

Petal
Message 19 of 43
See Most Recent

Hi

This is very true as we have a large tropical fish tank.  Also can hum a bit if filters need changing.

Message 20 of 43
See Most Recent