Nottingham Trent University (Peregrine's Nest)

Naturally I don't know if anyone would be interested in watching these Peregrine's, live on video camera at the University. 

The eggs surely are soon to be laid. Last year and the year before 3 eggs each time were laid, and all the birds fledged well. 

The female Peregrine has been in the nest quite a bit lately, making the groove in the nest ready for laying. 

Three camera's there as can be seen. One is the distance camera, that gets rotated now and again, for back view, and zooming in. The second camera is always on the nest, that too gets zoomed in at times. Then the third camera is a thermal image. 

Here is the link if maybe anyone would like to watch now and again. I don't know if this link can just be clicked on so the nest can be seen, or just copy and paste it for googling it. 

http://www4.ntu.ac.uk/sustainability/biodiversity/falcons/index.html#

Message 1 of 86
See Most Recent
85 REPLIES 85

>>>>> Phew I just got there to see them both  Woman Very Happy  then one flew off, and the other one little later. 

Aha, mum back now covering them all nice and warm. Woman Very Happy

Message 61 of 86
See Most Recent

Food time again, they eat much more often than me. Woman LOL

Message 62 of 86
See Most Recent

I don't believe you Man LOL

Message 63 of 86
See Most Recent

Woman LOL Well I would eat much more if you shared the cakes with me. Woman LOL

Message 64 of 86
See Most Recent

Something I haven't seen happen before. The mother was with the chicks, then she gave out such a lot of noise. The dad flew in with food, yet the mother still sat there.

The dad then started to feed her. This carried on for a good while, she was still making loud noises, even while eating. Eventually after about 10 minutes she flew off and the dad started to feed the chicks. 

Initially I thought maybe something was wrong with one of the chicks, hence why she didn't want to leave the nest. But all appeared okay with them once she had flown off. 

Message 65 of 86
See Most Recent

I think the female just makes a lot of noise when she's hungry, reminds me of someone but I can't think who. Man Wink 

Message 66 of 86
See Most Recent

''Oo, I wonder who that could be?'' Woman Surprised  said Littleme while hiding under the cupboard with Jd's biccie tin. Woman LOL

Message 67 of 86
See Most Recent

They are certainly growing well, and fast too. Woman Very Happy

Both the parents just now brought in food to feed their chicks. 

Message 68 of 86
See Most Recent

Both parents are feeding them several times a day. Not a very varied diet it has to be said, they must be sick to the back teeth with pigeon.

Man LOL

Message 69 of 86
See Most Recent

Just make sure they keep their eyes off your biccie tin, and choccie box. Woman LOL I am keeping an eye on mine as well.  Woman LOL

Message 70 of 86
See Most Recent

One of the chicks doesn't seem to be doing too well, looks a bit scrawny compared to the others. Man Indifferent

Message 71 of 86
See Most Recent

Yes little one there, was the last to hatch. But several times when I have watched it has finally near to the end of the feeding, when the others have pulled away, got quite a bit of the food. Also when both parents come in with some, more than enough then for all. Just the greedy bigger ones naturally get to the parent quicker. Woman Surprised

Message 72 of 86
See Most Recent

Can't believe how these chicks have grown while I've been away, their chest markings are becoming quite clear now. They all look very healthy too, well done those parents.

Man Happy

Message 73 of 86
See Most Recent

Yes all growing great, brilliant the parents in making sure they eat well.

They have all been ringed too. Three girls, and one boy. Oh he is outnumbered with all the chattering. Woman Frustrated

For the girls the rings were placed on their right leg, and of course for the boy he has his on the left leg. Easy to spot as well. 

The boy is the youngest that was hatched. Seems the name Diddy was given to him. Woman Very Happy

Such fun it has been seeing them escape at times, down the side of the nest. It is quite a long area, so they certainly can stretch their legs. Fortunately none as yet have dared go onto the ledge. 

Message 74 of 86
See Most Recent

Three escapee's on the ledge Woman Surprised

Message 75 of 86
See Most Recent

They're getting more adventurous as each day passes, probably stretching their legs in preparation for fledging.

Message 76 of 86
See Most Recent

Such a shame one of the youngsters slipped off the edge earlier today. Fortunately not all the way down to the ground. It landed on a lower edge. So hope the mum or dad will hear it, and take some food for it there. 

My friend came across this photo of it there, taken by an observer of the Peregrines. 

One looking down from the top ledge, to the fallen one by the shrub on the lower ledge. 

Message 77 of 86
See Most Recent

Here is a video link that was kindly forwarded to me, of when the youngster went over the edge. 

https://www.facebook.com/francis.rossi.71/videos/1976737782352294/

Message 78 of 86
See Most Recent

One of the chicks has sustained an injury. I wonder will staff intervene, it looks quite distressed. Man Sad

http://www4.ntu.ac.uk/sustainability/biodiversity/falcons/index.html#

Message 79 of 86
See Most Recent

Such a terrible shame indeed. I doubt though if the staff will intervene, due to the risk to themselves. But hard to pull back when so wanting to. 

Message 80 of 86
See Most Recent