Nottingham Trent University (Peregrine's Nest)

Naturally I don't know if anyone would be interested in watching these Peregrine's, live on video camera at the University. 

The eggs surely are soon to be laid. Last year and the year before 3 eggs each time were laid, and all the birds fledged well. 

The female Peregrine has been in the nest quite a bit lately, making the groove in the nest ready for laying. 

Three camera's there as can be seen. One is the distance camera, that gets rotated now and again, for back view, and zooming in. The second camera is always on the nest, that too gets zoomed in at times. Then the third camera is a thermal image. 

Here is the link if maybe anyone would like to watch now and again. I don't know if this link can just be clicked on so the nest can be seen, or just copy and paste it for googling it. 

http://www4.ntu.ac.uk/sustainability/biodiversity/falcons/index.html#

Message 1 of 86
See Most Recent
85 REPLIES 85

Thanks for that, will keep a lookout. Man Happy

Message 2 of 86
See Most Recent

Thanks for sharing LM. I have a passion for raptors who are persecuted shamelessly by many in the counryside. But recently one of the pereguines that nested at Lytham st Annes was shot and recovered from a church roof, it would seem nowhere is safe for them. The more people realise and appreciate fully the role these birds play in our ecosystem the greater the chance of saving them. 

Message 3 of 86
See Most Recent

You are both welcome Jd Woman Happy and Fallen-archie.  Woman Happy

I so enjoy watching Wildlife. 

Message 4 of 86
See Most Recent

This nest site has been very busy over the past two days. Man Happy

Message 5 of 86
See Most Recent

Yes so much. Woman Very Happy  I have looked in as often as I can, one there even late last night, as it does when mum is sat on the nest for the night, once the eggs have been laid of course. I think it is the dad on the ledge getting ready for when he needs to be there watching over them all.  

Message 6 of 86
See Most Recent

I have just read the Big Wheel in the distance has the final day tomorrow. 

Such fun I guess for all who went on it, but at least any evening viewing of the nest after that will not then have that bright glare on camera one. 

Message 7 of 86
See Most Recent

I wondered why it was so bright at night

*slaps head*

Message 8 of 86
See Most Recent

OUCH. Woman Surprised  Bet that hurt.  Woman LOL

Message 9 of 86
See Most Recent

Two years ago there was a blog that interested people of this nest could add to, and add any interesting snips they took. 

But then last year that was no longer available, as they moved the 'chat' to Facebook and Twitter.

I am not a member of either of those. But a friend of mine kindly let's me know of anything interesting that is mentioned. Also any snips of say if anyone was lucky enough to get any of the eggs actually being laid. 

For instance: This year a new wooden nest was placed, fresh stones, and the size chart too. I was sent photo's of all that actually happening. 

Also recently the camera one was not working for about 3/4 days. Fortunately new was ordered fast, and delivered as fast too. Due to the fact of course the change had to be made as quickly as could be before any eggs were laid. Not to disturb the mother of course. 

Message 10 of 86
See Most Recent

I was lucky enough to look in as the Mum was starting to lay her first egg this morning, just before 10am. Woman Very Happy The dad came to offer his support  Woman Very Happy then he flew off as soon as all was done. 

Message 11 of 86
See Most Recent

Fantastic news Man Happy

Message 12 of 86
See Most Recent

Yes it is for sure Jd. Woman Very Happy

Message 13 of 86
See Most Recent

Just before 6pm the male falcon flew in with what looked like half a pigeon, the female jumped off the nest and tore off a small piece. Then the male flew off with the bulk of his catch and a couple of minutes later the female followed him leaving the nest unattended.

Man Frustrated

Message 14 of 86
See Most Recent

That's good at least the mum had some food. Not too often she leaves the egg/s alone like that. When she does she scoots back pretty quickly. Woman Happy

Over the couple of years I have been watching them, both parents are very good. Last year the dad broke his beak, that was so sad to see.  He did bring in food for the growing young but of course he had a lot of trouble getting enough with his partial beak to feed them. He did his best, and mum did a lot of feeding as well. 

Message 15 of 86
See Most Recent

She's back now, been away for two hours. I wonder how long the eggs can be left without getting too cold?

Message 16 of 86
See Most Recent

I have been watching as well, and for sure I wondered why she had been away so long. Hoping of course nothing had happened to her. I just looked on the third camera, the thermal imagery, the heat of the egg is so low, hardly can be seen. Surprising mum is not as yet sat on the egg. 

Message 17 of 86
See Most Recent

Mum seems to have been egg sitting all night, let's hope the egg is still viable.

Message 18 of 86
See Most Recent

Yes so hope all is okay with the egg. I just looked in there again just as Mum was getting off the egg/nest, still only one egg there. Unusual for such a delay between laying eggs. 

Message 19 of 86
See Most Recent

She's been there all day, must be hungry I suppose.

Message 20 of 86
See Most Recent