It's been a while :-)

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-no1-2018-jan-feb/bible-guidance-relevant/

A topic that is being offered for discussion this month. Some may find it interesting xxx

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 1 of 487
See Most Recent
486 REPLIES 486

Re: It's been a while :-)

I was thinking exactly the same thing myself Harry😌

++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 61 of 487
See Most Recent

Councel 😏

Sorry my point has been missed. Xxx
I didn't really expect anything else xx

Margaret, Susie is not correct xx
++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 62 of 487
See Most Recent

"Look Mam, everyone's out of step except me".

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 63 of 487
See Most Recent

Counsel.Woman LOL

Sorry, BS which bit by Susie isn't correct?.

I had missed her first post.

Hopefully on an adult board we can discuss things without becoming rude or abusive.

Message 64 of 487
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

@margaret*ewrote:

Counsel.Woman LOL

Sorry, BS which bit by Susie isn't correct?.

I had missed her first post.

Hopefully on an adult board we can discuss things without becoming rude or abusive.

Susie was commenting on points CD raised about disfellowshipping.

She posted a link.

You never get a report from someone who isn't trying to discredit in some way. If you really want to know the unbiased side then I will quite happily answer you if you would like to private message me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 66 of 487
See Most Recent

Thank you for all that cd, but it didn't really answer my simple question.

I don't actually need anymore than what has been given to me in the writings l claim to be gods word.

I was just asking you personally what would qualify as proof to you as you are asking me for proof, because so far what ever i have offered has been rejected by yourself. Xx
++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 67 of 487
See Most Recent

You've not given any proof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Live long and prosper.

Message 68 of 487
See Most Recent

@cee-deewrote:

You've not given any proof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, point taken, what i have offered so far as proof has been rejected because it is not proof  so what would  qualify as proof to you then CD .xxx

++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 69 of 487
See Most Recent

Spoiler

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwas9nUo-i4

Even young children can have help to read the bible and to understand it. If all that it claims is to be understood then it needs to be written for the simplest of minds to understand not as some have pointed out before that God keeps people from understanding.

There is so many lovely but simple videos for our young children to enjoy, they are even useful for. Schools, wouldn't you agree?

++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 70 of 487
See Most Recent

Most definitely not! All religion should be kept out of schools. Children in school should be taught facts...things that are, not things that might be. Religion is divisive. One only has to look at Northern Ireland to see the results of children being taught religion in schools.  And the proliferation of unregulated Faith schools in this country is a recipe for future disaster. Religious leaders want Faith schools so that they can brainwash children at as early an age they can begin...the earlier the better. Then they can literally put the Fear of God into them.  All Faith schools should be closed down.

Message 71 of 487
See Most Recent

I agree wth some of your points there Astro, keep religion out of schools. In my opinion it is the parents responsibility to teach the religion of the families faith but if more teaching is required then that religion have their own schools.
On that note though, if there is no religion taught, then Evolution should not be taught either. As you say just facts should be taught, things that are not things that might be. Evolution itself is only a theory isn't it xx.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 72 of 487
See Most Recent

Aaaarrrrggggghhhhh ! ...... "only a theory" ......... 

is-just-a-theory.jpg

There is an overwhelming amount of evidence to support theTheory of Evolution.

The word "theory" means something very different in lay language (your interpretation) than it does in science: A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world. 

When scientists talk about the theory of evolution, or atomic theory or the theory of relativity, etc.  they are NOT expressing reservations about its truth

From Scientific American:  In addition to the theory of evolution, meaning the idea of descent with modification, one may also speak of the fact of evolution. The National Academy of Sciences defines a fact as “an observation that has been repeatedly confirmed and for all practical purposes is accepted as true.”  The fossil record and abundant other evidence testify that organisms have evolved through time. Although no one observed those transformations, the indirect evidence is clear, unambiguous and compelling.

Heck, even the Pope has declared (in 2014) that evolution and the big bang theory are real, and said that God is not a magician with a magic wand

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 73 of 487
See Most Recent

Religion should have its own schools eh?

So the idea is the have a totally featureless place, devoid of any nice architecture, having nothing on the walls inside, nothing in the windows, the only things in there are chairs, the idea being to have nothing to distract the gathering from the rantings of those speaking so that those being indoctrinated in to the beliefs of the cult will be nicely brainwashed after having it rammed in to their heads for ages.

Welcome to kingdom hall.

Live long and prosper.

Message 74 of 487
See Most Recent

Cd, lol xx

Susie, who's ideas are they? mans lol, there is no fossil evidence.
You or i cant deny fossils exist no, but there is no evidence of any transitional changes from one to another of a species

The pope, that is so like the pope, because it means trying to save his religion will turn his back on the truth of the book he is supposed to hold holy, how hypicrital that looks. So many of Gods laws are set down in writing in the bible that he supposedly has as the basis of his faith and yet he happily dismisses them and gives his backing to wrong practices.

Catholic leaders were in the pockets of the nazis and played a big part in condoning persecution of certain faiths.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 75 of 487
See Most Recent

They're not gods laws, they're the "laws" dreamed up by Man.

Live long and prosper.

Message 76 of 487
See Most Recent

Could not have put it better myself!

Message 77 of 487
See Most Recent

THE BIBLE IS NOT ANTISCIENCE. 

On the contrary, it encourages people to examine the natural world. Isaiah 40:26 while the Bible is not a science textbook, it is consistant with scientific facts. For example, the Bible does not support creationism. It does not state that the earth was created in six literal 24-hour days. The term “day” as used in Genesis applies to periods of considerable length. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 78 of 487
See Most Recent

There is plenty of evidence of transitional changes

https://www.livescience.com/3306-fossils-reveal-truth-darwin-theory.html

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-fossil-fallacy/

Anyway   we don’t just have to rely on fossils.  More modern scientific disciplines like genetics and molecular biology provide strong evidence.

“We know evolution happened not because of transitional fossils such as A. natans but because of the convergence of evidence from such diverse fields as geology, paleontology, biogeography, comparative anatomy and physiology, molecular biology, genetics, and many more.  No single discovery from any of these fields denotes proof of evolution, but together they reveal that life evolved in a certain sequence by a particular process.”

So, BS,  do you think that God put fossils in the rocks and the vestigial remains of evolution in various organisms just for a laugh to confuse us?  I would have thought that your all-knowing all-powerful god would have better things to do than waste his time on contemptuous trivial pursuits and silly jokes.

I don’t see that Pope Francis acceptance of some scientific discoveries and theories makes him a hypocrite; far from it. Many religions don’t see that a belief in God and evolution are at odds, they don’t have a problem with some texts in the bible being a metaphor, and they don’t have a problem with adapting their faith to incorporate knowledge about the world.

It seems to me that it is only some fundamentalists and evangelists who are immovable that take man’s writings that made up the bible literally, and even they choose to ignore some texts.

The daftest IMO are those who think that God created the earth within 6000-10000 years ago, such as the Young Earth Creationists, but it’s not just them.  I was appalled to read that apparently 40% of Americans believe this – i.e. that the earth is younger than the time that has passed since humans domesticated the dog!  But then only 3 out of 4 Americans know that the earth revolves around the sun and not vice versa, in spite of overwhelming evidence that the sun is at the centre of our little suburban solar system on an outer arm of an average galaxy.   How can people be so ignorant when there is so much information available to those who are curious about the wonders of the world around us and the solar system and universe?

And what about JWs, BS, can you not accommodate the fact that humans have learnt a great deal about the world in the last 1500-2000 years?  The men who wrote and who read the scriptures all those centuries ago weren’t fortunate enough to know what we know today and lived in a very different world where many things could not be explained rationally.  Do JWs believe that all the knowledge we have acquired over the last 2 millennia and the great discoveries that we will make in the future are pointless/worthless and should be ignored in favour of believing in cherry-picked ancient writings by those who knew no different?  That seems to me to make the extraordinary capabilities of the human mind and the life’s work of people like Einstein and Hawking and other great scientists rather redundant.  That i could never believe.   

I see no reason why religion cannot adapt and move with the times.  To survive and be relevant today it will probably need to. Who says it can’t? Those who won’t think for themselves, choose not to, or fear fictional repercussions of independent thought?

No-one can prove absolutely that God exists, or doesn’t exist (so far). From my posts it’s obvious that I am not a believer in a supernatural personal God.  I see no reason why “he” should have any interest in me since I am just a part of the animal kingdom that has evolved on earth and am lucky enough to have the experience for a few decades.  I’m glad that my curiosity about the amazing world we live in gave me an interest in science and biology for a career and has spurred me to read some fascinating books by popular science writers like Richard Dawkins, Stephen Jay Gould, Matt Ridley, Steve Jones etc. I feel that seeking knowledge has enriched my life more than blind unquestioning faith would have.

I try to live a decent life and some Christian principles make a lot of ethical sense for humans to get on with each other, although sadly it is religion and peoples’ inflexibility and blind intolerance that cause so many conflicts in the world.   

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 79 of 487
See Most Recent

And there we have it, all wrapped up in one post, the whole content of the thread (plus other threads in times past on here).

However, you(we?)'ve as much chance of having it accepted as a fact by the cults as you have of finding a snowball on the sun.

Live long and prosper.

Message 80 of 487
See Most Recent