Ebay are recruiting! Fancy a job as a product manager?

https://tamebay.com/2018/01/ebay-to-recruit-product-manger-to-build-new-selling-guidance-tools.html

eBay are advertising a job vacancy for a Senior Product Manager who will build the next generation of their Selling Guidance Delivery Platform. They say that “this platform delivers critical insights to sellers like what kinds of inventory they should source, how they should price it to be competitive and how they improve their overall listing to improve conversion and sales”.

Merry Everything & A Happy Always 🙂
Message 1 of 34
See Most Recent
33 REPLIES 33

I’m afraid I interpreted that as forcing sellers to sell how ebay says they should, based on goodness knows what model. Quite sensibly eBay will design things to suit the sellers from whom they get the biggest profit. I should imagine that £ for £ small sellers generate far less profit than the big outlets.

Message 21 of 34
See Most Recent

Yes that all sounds about right: unfortunately so @grimgors_mum

Message 22 of 34
See Most Recent

@grimgors_mum wrote:

I’m afraid I interpreted that as forcing sellers to sell how ebay says they should, based on goodness knows what model. Quite sensibly eBay will design things to suit the sellers from whom they get the biggest profit. I should imagine that £ for £ small sellers generate far less profit than the big outlets.

It's only logical to assume that ebay would invest with the intention of maximising their income and profit. It would be very odd if they did otherwise. Similarly, the more money a seller is making for ebay, the more support they'll get from ebay. This is all about business, and businesses give preferential treatment to the clients that make them the most. Even an ebay seller would that.

However, I'm not sure that ebay can actually force sellers to do anything they don't want to.

There's a sort of prevailing view on these boards that any initiative taken by ebay must be bad, can never be good. You see the same thing on the Business Sellers' board where complaints about lack of buyers are legion, yet if ebay runs a TV ad to generate sales it's heavily criticised.

I do wonder why it is that people who seem to hate ebay with such a passion nevertheless continue to use it.

―――――――――――
I should of used a verb
Message 23 of 34
See Most Recent

Hang on though - is it actually a new thing that ebay staff are being tasked with talking to sellers?  If they already employ staff who (should) do this then it's really not news.  If they don't then that should be news, but for the reason that they haven't thought about talking to their customers before, which would be truly shocking.

Message 24 of 34
See Most Recent

My idle brain wondered if ebay would like to get rid of the dispute process in its current format.

So in exchange for an even better deal on fees ebay’s largest sellers agree to automatically accept any/all return requests and pay for the return cost. Thus removing the whole “dispute” process.

Ebay could then introduce this for all sellers, regardless of status. Hence the changed would be forced upon the sellers. 

Probably, and hopefully, not a realistic example, but you get my drift. 

Message 25 of 34
See Most Recent

Your mention of the dispute process reminded me of a couple of the stunts pulled by some sellers, perhaps forced on them by ebay?

Case one. A long object which was faulty and had to be returned. The seller sent the required pre-paid postal info. The item was duly packed and labelled. On taking the item to the PO it was refused as the label didn't cover an item of that length. If you don't send the item back using the tracking label, you don't get the ebay refund.

Case two. A pair of items arrived which turned out to be the incorrect items. On requesting a refund, the seller supplied the required pre-paid info. However, when the two items were packed for return and taken to the PO, the package was refused due to the pre-paid label not covering the weight. Again, if you don't use the required label for tracked return, you don't get the ebay refund.

Now, a question. Were those two instances a crafty way of the seller trying to avoid the ebay refund or is it some fault in the system?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 26 of 34
See Most Recent

Well it should be the seller's responsibility to ensure that any return label is sufficient for the items to be posted.

Ebay generates its labels based on size and weight dimensions shown on the listing.  However many people (myself included if I am honest) do not input this seemingly unnecessary information, which leaves ebay to guess as to what will be a suitable label to generate.

Clearly if that did happen to me I would make alternative arrangements to get the item back - not leave it with the poor buyer to sort and certainly not to leave them out of pocket or stuck with an item they don't want.

Message 27 of 34
See Most Recent

Whoever gets the job certainly has plenty of scope to make a success of it.  I for one would happy to get some selling tips apart from "Start your listing at 99p", whatever the item is and when the items with which it is compared are nothing like it.  Or "add more photos" when I've taken photos from every useful angle.

They could also try writing "Announcements" of more than two vague paragraphs concerning major changes.  Stemming from that, hopefully they will have enough power within ebay to ensure that the Community Team is fully informed about imminent changes and that they are permitted to give clarification and guidance to sellers.  Unlike when sellers of personalised items were left floundering for months, pleading for information.  All too often I see one of the Team say they will be back with more information, but then don't return.  Or never respond at all and appear to have been gagged.

They will have an uphill struggle, no matter how good and well intentioned they are.   As Richardmstuff says there is a pervasive negativity on the boards about any ebay initiative.  IMO brought about mostly by ebays attitude that all sellers should be viewed in the worst possible light, treated as potential thieves and liars and punished accordingly, whether guilty or not.  On both sides suspicion is now so entrenched that many who sell here don't really want to and wouldn't be here at all if they could find an alternative.  

I wish the successful candidate the very best of luck, especially if their remit is to help ALL sellers and not JUST the corporates at the expense of everyone else.

Message 28 of 34
See Most Recent

My "Growth Recommendations" is just a random number - I think it was 50+ the other day and it's 1 today.

I've given up looking since, on the couple of times I have looked to see their genius tips, it makes absolutely no sense - usually telling me to cut the price when it's already the lowest price shown in the list.

Seller Hub itself is a big improvement on what we had before it, but this sort of thing just makes them look stupid.  They should stick to making the site work properly and, if they really want prices lower, then they need to reduce their hefty fees.  They've saddled everyone with a massive overhead, so telling people to cut prices is insulting.

Message 29 of 34
See Most Recent

@rightgrand wrote:

Hang on though - is it actually a new thing that ebay staff are being tasked with talking to sellers?  If they already employ staff who (should) do this then it's really not news.  If they don't then that should be news, but for the reason that they haven't thought about talking to their customers before, which would be truly shocking.

You can't really tell from looking at the job ad. It just lists "engaging with sellers" as a responsibility. It doesn't go on to say, "because it never occurred to us to do this before."

―――――――――――
I should of used a verb
Message 30 of 34
See Most Recent

@double_o_heaven wrote:

Well it should be the seller's responsibility to ensure that any return label is sufficient for the items to be posted.

Ebay generates its labels based on size and weight dimensions shown on the listing.  However many people (myself included if I am honest) do not input this seemingly unnecessary information, which leaves ebay to guess as to what will be a suitable label to generate.

Clearly if that did happen to me I would make alternative arrangements to get the item back - not leave it with the poor buyer to sort and certainly not to leave them out of pocket or stuck with an item they don't want.

A shame that eBay don’t have the same system as the ‘river’.   Buy from any seller, don’t like it or want to return for any reason - a couple of clicks on the website and labels are prepared for printing - stick it on your doorstep and it is collected, (no charge), refund processed automatically by Amazon, (not the seller) - job done.

It is this system that has persuaded me to switch most purchases from eBay with its convoluted dispute/returns processes.

Message 31 of 34
See Most Recent

If you're regularly returning goods then most ebay sellers will be very glad that you're shopping on Amazon too.

It all sounds lovely, until Amazon ban you for life for returning too much stuff without warning...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/18/banned-by-amazon-returning-faulty-goods-blocked-credit...

Sadly, ebay doesn't similarly monitor a buyer's return rate.

By the way, for a marketplace seller on Amazon (not fulfilled by Amazon) the procedure is almost identical to ebay.  The seller approves the return, buyer returns product, seller approves refund - which is paid by Amazon, but only after the seller requests it.  Both websites are equally open to rubbish sellers.

Message 32 of 34
See Most Recent

@rightgrand wrote:

If you're regularly returning goods then most ebay sellers will be very glad that you're shopping on Amazon too.

It all sounds lovely, until Amazon ban you for life for returning too much stuff without warning...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/18/banned-by-amazon-returning-faulty-goods-blocked-credit...

Sadly, ebay doesn't similarly monitor a buyer's return rate.

By the way, for a marketplace seller on Amazon (not fulfilled by Amazon) the procedure is almost identical to ebay.  The seller approves the return, buyer returns product, seller approves refund - which is paid by Amazon, but only after the seller requests it.  Both websites are equally open to rubbish sellers.

It’s not a matter of returning things on a regular basis - it’s knowing that it is easy to do so if you want or need to.

No waiting for dubious sellers to agreeing to accept a return or waiting 14 days for eBay to get involved or sellers arguing about return postage costs when an item is faulty or not as described.

I’ve returned 3 items in the last 12 months and cancelled 2 prior to despatch out of a total of 174 orders, (363 items) - all without any problems - In that same period I bought 30m of rope on eBay and I received 1 length of 16m and 1 of 14m - it took me nearly 6 weeks to get a refund and I had to pay for the return.

I have returned items bought from market place sellers - the refund/return procedure may be the same for sellers but it isn’t for buyers - it is still the same single request, no dispute procedure to go through.

Message 33 of 34
See Most Recent

It's exactly the same for marketplace sellers - I am one!

The return request has to be approved by the seller, you have to send to the seller's address, then the seller approves the refund.  If it's a change of mind return you have to pay for postage.  It's all just the same as ebay.

Amazon's own stock or Fulfilled by Amazon returns are dealt with more simply though, as you're returning it to Amazon then.

Ebay returns are pretty good these days.  I try not to make a habit of returning things, but on the occasions I have it's pretty simple and all goes smoothly normally.

Message 34 of 34
See Most Recent