Why I'm quitting ebay for good

A couple of months ago, I sold a hifi item on here for over £100. I had been warned beforehand about scammers buying electronic goods, and "harvesting" the internal components to repair their own faulty items. Luckily, I took the warnings seriously. I took as many photos as I could, including all the internal printed circuit boards and components. The item was like brand new, with not a scratch. It was packaged really well to prevent damage during shipping. And, sure enough, less than 5 minutes after the item was delivered, the buyer had a claim in to return it as it was "dead on arrival". I reluctantly agreed to accept the return. And when it was returned, I checked out everything inside. Lo and behold, there was a circuit board with a very obviously botched repair job instead of the one which should have been there. And to make matters worse, the buyer had given me negative feedback.

Eventually, after supplying photos of the item to Ebay, and signing a form to say all the information I had given was true, I won my appeal and had my money refunded. The negative feedback was removed as well. So alls well, and all that. Well, no. Not really. Now ebay is badgering me for the cost of the buyer to ship the item back to me. They have put a stop on all future payments until I do so. This is so obviously wrong on their side, given they accepted my appeal and refunded me for an Item so obviously destroyed by a greedy scammer.

I don't know why ebay allows buyers to do this. What they really should have done was, report them to the police for fraud and destruction of property. So thats it for me. I only have a couple of things left now for sale. Once they go, I'm finished with ebay.

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Good Evening NQ

Sorry to hear about your problems but I am afraid that this does happen when selling. In your position I think that I would question/appeal the fact that you are liable for the return postage cost bearing in mind that you won the case.

If you do have to pay and I half suspect that you will have to then do so.  Don't give up on selling on eBay,if you do then you will be 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'. 

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

I'm a bit stuck on the fact that you seem to have won an ebay case as a seller when you haven't received the item back? How did you prove anything when the buyer still has possession of the item?

******************************************************************************************