Unsure if this is a scam buyer.

Hello esteemed eBay members.

I listed a motorbike yesterday and have received a message asking:

'Hello there Hopefully you're doing well fellow eBayer! I'm dropping a line to find out more about the current status of your listed item. I'm really interested in learning more. Thanks abunch'.

The message has some grammatical mistake, refers to the bike as 'listed item' and calls me 'fellow eBayer'. On the benefit of the doubt I replied to see what they would like to know.

The response was:

'Could you share the service history and current condition? Also I prefer using (P P) for payment. If yes, please share your (P P) info mail address and name so I can proceed with payment. Once that's done I've already organized a removal for collection. Looking forward to your prompt response'.

I've stated in the listing I accept cash on pickup. Never heard of PayPal being referred to as (P P), they've already 'organized' a removal for collection. The eBayer profile was created 1st April (aprils fools perhaps?) and has bought two items with good buyer feedback.

What do you think? I'm getting 'scam' vibes but wanted to get a second opinion. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Message 1 of 21
See Most Recent
20 REPLIES 20

It's a scam.

Run Forrest RUNNNNNNN !.

They want your email address to send you fake "youv'e been paid" email.

Cash on collection only on vehicles or maybe bank transfer.

Message 2 of 21
See Most Recent

This scam has been around almost as long as ebay. As advised, don't touch with a bargepole. Put the buyer ID on your blocked list.

******************************************************************************************
Powered by cats Cat Happy
Message 3 of 21
See Most Recent

There is of course absolutely no reason he can't pay with Paypal through ebay. Without knowing OP's email address. So yes, absolutely a scam.

Message 4 of 21
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

adding to the advice already given -

You are heading for very serious trouble by offering to sell outside eBay.

"If you would like to buy the bike, please message me and I can remove the listing." 

Offering to indulge in an off eBay deal is defrauding eBay and, of course, it will encourage others to try to scam you.

Message 5 of 21
See Most Recent

They cannot pay with PayPal through eBay.

The only way they can pay by PayPal is if take up OP's offer of an off eBay sale.

Message 6 of 21
See Most Recent

I bought some seeds from eBay last month and paid by PayPal.

Message 7 of 21
See Most Recent

Thanks for your reply and your feedback!

Completely understand where you're coming from but ideally the buyer would pay cash on pickup. Don't know how I would do this via eBay's payment methods on the listing.

Message 8 of 21
See Most Recent

SCAM! nothing more to say

Message 9 of 21
See Most Recent

buyers can pay by any payment method as displayed in the listing.

In the case of this thread the listing states cash.

Message 10 of 21
See Most Recent

Thanks for your reply.

There was no option to list soley as 'Cash on pickup' when listing the bike. Should a buyer click 'Buy it now', it will be an electronic payment rather than the physical payment? If so, that's why i'm asking potential buyers to message me regarding payment.

If there's any feedback you could please give me as to how I should set my listing up, based on the info provided, that would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks!

Message 11 of 21
See Most Recent

Your listing only gives the option of "Cash on pickup" and for some time eBay have only allowed that by blocking all other payment methods as there's no protection on eBay for vehicle purchases.

Message 12 of 21
See Most Recent

Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated!

Message 13 of 21
See Most Recent

Buyers can still do chargebacks even if there isnt protection for vehicles

This above is a scam, however...

Message 14 of 21
See Most Recent

I only pay with Paypal. Have done since day one. Still pay with paypal since managed payments too.

Message 15 of 21
See Most Recent

@simas-stuff wrote:

I only pay with Paypal. Have done since day one. Still pay with paypal since managed payments too.

I also always pay with PayPal, but then I have never bought a vehicle on ebay, and never will. 

You can't buy a vehicle through ebay using PayPal, the topic of this thread is a vehicle.

Message 16 of 21
See Most Recent

@plpmr wrote:

They cannot pay with PayPal through eBay.

The only way they can pay by PayPal is if take up OP's offer of an off eBay sale.

It must be complete coincidence that every listing I look at has paypal as one of the payment menthods available.  See attached

Message 17 of 21
See Most Recent

If you wish to criticise and contradict don't use an irrelevant listing, instead of looking at the listing this thread is about - Vehicle, cash on collection.

It must be complete coincidence that every listing I look at” - except looking the listing this thread is about, now that's a “coincidence”.

Message 18 of 21
See Most Recent

Very sure of himself this buyer as well, even arranging collection before he`s even bought the bike (red flag)

The old paypal details for the fake email telling you you`ve been paid, which will be fake (red flag)

The fact that he even wants to pay via paypal before looking at the bike (red flag)

When he figures out you aren`t a smuck, perhaps he`ll get the other flag out (white flag) 🤣

Message 19 of 21
See Most Recent

I think there is an option of cash only, but it might only be for classified listings.  I remember it took some working out when my son listed his car.  Buyer had the car collected by a third party, but the guy handed over the cash before he put the car on the trailer.

Message 20 of 21
See Most Recent