Think been conned

Hi all this is my 1st time here as I feel am getting no support or help from eBay I sold a phone and he just got it now he's saying it not how I list it but this is not true what scares me is he saying lot of things up with it that was not and 1st he want me to sort it out before he opens a request that would give be bad feedback and not be good for me he said and the fact he got more feedback then me but I don't no his game but think if he sent back it want be what I sent him and like I said no help from eBay it telling me about how this works and I not been paid been on hold from the start and they said send it I tell you now I had a bad feeling then and new sum thing was not right could sum one please help me as to what can I do will I get the money what happened if the phone I get back is the one he says I sent as I think that his game swap them out and pick me as 1st time seller. At this point all help would be welcome thank you 

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Think been conned

@soul3418 wrote:

I sold a phone

Uh oh...you sold what is also known as a thief magnet.

@soul3418 wrote:

he just got it now he's saying it not how I list it but this is not true what scares me is he saying lot of things up with it that was not and 1st he want me to sort it out before he opens a request 

Tell the buyer to open a request; do not agree to do anything the buyer demands. Out of curiosity did you sell the handset via another account?

@soul3418 wrote:

but think if he sent back it want be what I sent him 

Did you record the IMEI number and/or the serial number of the handset you sent? If the buyer sends a different device (or a different item altogether) back you are able to get your money back but there is a process you must follow to the letter. You will need at least the IMEI number for this.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Think been conned

Yes I have imel and sold by eBay but money was on hold right from the start so this do happen then because I can't work out what he's saying this for as I no the phone is mint thanks bud 

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Think been conned

And I got paper work that it  is my flip 4 

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Think been conned

Once the buyer has opened a request you need to send a pre-paid return label if eBay doesn't do it for you. Do not agree to do anything - including sending a refund - until you're sure you have received your device back in the condition you sent it in. If you receive a different handset, a different item or the return tracking shows the item was delivered back to you but you didn't receive it post back here for instructions on what to do next.

Above all, absolutely do not issue a refund to the buyer until you have checked it is your device you have received back.

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Think been conned

Thank you bathroom I just look eBay took the money of hold now so it's a waiting game it's put me of selling on here again I never had a problem buying anything and have 100% feedback for that but this is not easy like say say and there no support or help to let you no were you stand but from you mate so thank you I feel better now like there sum hope and they not anything saying he sending it back I hope they look at his messages because they very telling again thank you very much 1love peace 

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Think been conned

If he threatened you with negative feedback if you didn't meet his demands that is VERY much against ebay policies and you should report the message to ebay that includes it

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Think been conned

In addition to the advice you have already been given, whatever you do, don't list items such as mobile phones on eBay again.  As you have unfortunately found out the hard way, mobile phones are scammer magnets.

Another factor which has played a part in this scenario is the fact that you are a new seller to eBay.  Scammers tend to target new sellers as they see them as having very little experience of selling on the platform and therefore see them as easy targets.  Combine this with the fact that you advertised a scammer magnet for sale and you unfortunately set yourself up for the scam.

If you have not already done so by the time you read this response add the buyer's User ID to your Blocked Bidders List.  Due to the fact that you have recently been in a transaction with this buyer the blocks will take longer to kick in than would otherwise have been the case, but once they do he/she will not be able to purchase anything else that you advertise for sale and cause you any further aggravations.

Finally, when adding the buyer to your Blocked Bidders List make sure that you tick the box next to the sentence that reads "Don't Allow Blocked Buyers To Contact Me."  Once you have done this not only will it prevent anybody on your Blocked Bidders List from being able to contact you, but you will not have to keep on activating it every time you add another person to your Blocked Bidders List, as once you have activate the "Don't Allow Blocked Buyers To Contact Me" option it will remain active forever unless for some reason you change your mind at some point and decide to deactivate it.

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Think been conned

Ok I just got the pic that he say how he sending it and I can tell there no way that's my phone at all phone eBay right way and they saying can't do anything till it gets here this thing is a nightmare going to get it blocked 1st thing in the morning so no one can use it same every one no's this happened but eBay there must no I keep you up to date bud and again thank you 

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Think been conned

@soul3418 wrote:

Ok I just got the pic that he say how he sending it and I can tell there no way that's my phone at all phone eBay right way and they saying can't do anything till it gets here 

That's correct; they can't. Until you receive a different handset back there's nothing they can do.

When you receive the different handset back (NOT before then) here's what you need to do in the order you need to do it:

1. File a report with Action Fraud. You will receive a reference number and maybe a report from them. They won't actually do anything but you need the reference number. Make sure you give them the IMEI of the device you sent and the IMEI of the device you receive back.
  2. At the very bottom of the eBay case there will be a link that states "Report a problem" - this is not the link that states "Ask us to step in" - do not click on that one! Let us know if the link isn't there or you can't find it.
  3. You will be asked the reason for reporting a problem - you need to select the option stating the buyer returned a different item. You need to include the reference number and anything else you received from Action Fraud earlier.

Please let us know how you get on.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Think been conned

More often than not buying can be like eating quality chocolate.

Selling can sometimes be like eating out of date salmon.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent