Selling fees are too high on ebay, time to call it a day and just bin it all

I have been a loyal and faithful member of ebay for 20+ years now, till quite recently it has been good, but of late not so good, sadly. The fees are just too much for me and also for other sellers too.

So what to do, I think that the options for me are to list less items only every second week, so my fees are less and to list less items.

I have found it very theraputic as I had to have open heart opp over a year ago, it gave me something to focus on and I met a lot of nice people and remain in contact with them to this day. But I can see me calling it a day and just giving away my stock of old car parts or just taking it all to the dump, which will be to me a sad day, but such is life and it will be the end of an era too.

Not much else I can say, but I think that ebay should rethink things as it is going to cost them a lot of business, I wonder, I can see that nowdays that their is very little or no loyalty at all.

Kind regards to all who read this.

Message 1 of 66
See Most Recent
65 REPLIES 65

That's like 15% mark up with selling fees postage you have to watch I was looking for 1 year old iPad 3 sellers wanted £8.95 2 sellers £2.95 and 15 were free postage .

Message 41 of 66
See Most Recent

Hello & thanks for posting this.

likewise I'm in my 20th year and really surprised how expensive it is to sell on eBay now. Due to a recent 'exprerience' I am also very disappointed as a seller as to how little support you get when something goes wrong with a buyer.

Once my current listings are sold/expired, I'm done!

Message 42 of 66
See Most Recent

I agree totaly with you I have been a member now for quite a few years and in the early day's Ebay was good but of late I think they are  just getting greedy and not enjoyable any more you sell something, and when Ebay take out their money you are left with hardly anything, whic after postage etc seems hardly worth the Effort I will be leaving Ebay at the End of the month 

From Disgruntled

Message 43 of 66
See Most Recent

Quite agree, selling costs are way too high, you have to have a serious mark up on goods to hope to earn any profit nowadays as ebay sucks it all away

Message 44 of 66
See Most Recent

OMG London-mac! I couldn't possibly agree more with every single thing you have said - all of which resonates with my own experience with ebay. 

Two outright liars (buyers) recently destroyed my flawless record AND EBAY DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT! What's more, they even refunded one of them out their own pocket despite saying I was not at fault and would not remove that buyer's negative - and wholly untrue - feedback.

I thought those two experiences were the last straw but their recent hike in fees has really sealed the deal.

All in all, they are a greedy, unscrupulous organisation who, far from responding to communications in a polite and considerate manner; are quite the opposite: perfunctory, downright rude and completely unhelpful. They clearly think themselves untouchable and do not give a scrap about the very people who keep them in business namely, their sellers.

So, goodbye ebay! There are plenty of other markets out there.

Message 45 of 66
See Most Recent

@whitehouselearning wrote:

OMG London-mac! I couldn't possibly agree more with every single thing you have said - all of which resonates with my own experience with ebay. 

Two outright liars (buyers) recently destroyed my flawless record AND EBAY DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT! What's more, they even refunded one of them out their own pocket despite saying I was not at fault and would not remove that buyer's negative - and wholly untrue - feedback.

I thought those two experiences were the last straw but their recent hike in fees has really sealed the deal.

All in all, they are a greedy, unscrupulous organisation who, far from responding to communications in a polite and considerate manner; are quite the opposite: perfunctory, downright rude and completely unhelpful. They clearly think themselves untouchable and do not give a scrap about the very people who keep them in business namely, their sellers.

So, goodbye ebay! There are plenty of other markets out there.

The feedback you leave for buyers beggars belief.

Complaining that buyers have not left feedback... smh.

Complaining about eBay & choosing to ignore feedback policies... just wow.

Message 46 of 66
See Most Recent

Am I the only one that does think Ebay fees are slightly too high but happy to pay them because it means i am actually selling something on the site?    I am speaking from a private sellers point of view.  

Yes every 2 weeks we get a selling promotion BUT saying that when we list and sell usually its not an item offered under a promotion.  Funny that !!    Sometimes i use the promotion but often i do not.

For us we would prefer to sell from the comfort of our own home and doing a boot/market etc is not an option.   Plus real life auction fees (auction houses)   are way higher and one has to wait at least a month for your money. 

Yes there are issues with estimated delivery dates and visability etc etc but overall   Ebay works for us.     Obv ones own personal circumstances may not make the site ideal for all. 

Message 47 of 66
See Most Recent

With sky high ebay fees and RM price rises it's pointless being a small e-trader now.  Most of your hardwork goes to ebay and RM shareholders dividend payout.

Message 48 of 66
See Most Recent

I will admit that i do think twice about what i list because of postage costs.    Some items i do not because of that.

99% of the items i list are inherited 😞   My problem is the amount of time it takes to list an item properly and i soon get bored lol   Saying that the 30 boxes of different items we still have to list can sit there probably for a few more months/years !   

Message 49 of 66
See Most Recent

Royal mail doesn't pay a dividend anymore.

Message 50 of 66
See Most Recent

This is interesting - rather than actually helping customers by reducing the fees to a sensible level (e.g. 5%), eBay have doubled down by adding an extra 0.35% fee on top - a fee which probably won't be impacted by the 80% promos!

eBay's selling fees are definitely way too high especially without the FVF promos that people get.

Message 51 of 66
See Most Recent

Hi totally agree with what you say..its sad no loyalty as fees etc are out of control for sellers..i sell all kind of collectables bt to be honest after buying stock .envelopes.shop fees etc im running at a loss..so sadly this coming week im also closing my shop..do not give up as i found a Belgian site for collectables im currently listing on...i wish you the best,,Regards William

Message 52 of 66
See Most Recent

Try selling your stuff at a traditional saleroom - £2.50 listing fee, 27% (or more) commission on the hammer price and up to a month before you get paid but people where I live still prefer it because there are no silly restrictions, refunds or returns and no NPBs.

Message 53 of 66
See Most Recent

I agree BUT our local traditional one (20 miles away) are also very picky over what they put in auction.  Not a lot in their auctions sell for less than a few hundred pounds.

A while back we did let them sell some inherited silver and yes it all sold well.

Traditional auctions again are not the place for "fast cash".

Message 54 of 66
See Most Recent

Greedy!!!!

Message 55 of 66
See Most Recent

You have some cheek in describing

(1) the feedback I leave for buyers as "beggaring belief" and

(2)"choosing to ignore feedback policies".

Kindly justify your rudeness please.

Message 56 of 66
See Most Recent

@whitehouselearning wrote:

You have some cheek in describing

(1) the feedback I leave for buyers as "beggaring belief" and

(2)"choosing to ignore feedback policies".

Kindly justify your rudeness please.

You're  leaving False Positive feedback.

Read the feedback policies.

Then complaining that buyers don't leave feedback... which is not "important"

Not being "rude"... just stating facts.

Message 57 of 66
See Most Recent

Thank you Christian!

Message 58 of 66
See Most Recent

Your welcome !

Sent from my iPhone iOS