Seller protection is a joke

I recently sold two sleeves of coffee . The buyer received them and left me possitive feedback.

A day or so later they sent me a message saying i had sent the wrong item and included a photo of a sleeve of coffee. I immediately knew i had not as the coffee they were claiming i sent them i did not own or sell. I contacted ebay who ensured they "had my back". The buyer then opened a case stating item not received. As i had tracking the case was closed in my favour and for some reason ebay removed my positive feedback the buyer had left. The next day they opened a return request. I contacted ebay again who gave me the same speil of "we've got your back" at this point i'm wondering if this is AI im talking to. Anyway i requested a call back to be told i have to accept the return and provide and pay for a label. The agent was rather dismissive of my claim that the buyer will now just return the item to me that they have replaced my item with. I will of course contact ebay again when i receive the wrong item back to no doubt be told i have no choice but to refund and be left almost £40 out of pocket. I understand buyers have rights but this guy is scamming me and ebay are facilitating it. Sorry i just needed to vent as this has been dragging on and really getting me down. I have been buying on ebay for over 20 years using my other accounts and would never dream of making false claims against people just trying to make a few quid.

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

It looks like you sold the coffee sleeves via a different account. Did you sell them as a private seller or as a business seller? I'm assuming business as eBay doesn't allow private sellers to sell foodstuffs without local authority registration.

I would also suggest ignoring anything eBay's customer service reps tell you; in most cases they will tell you what they think you want to hear in order to get you off the phone. There is a process that pretty much guarantees a private seller receives a discretionary refund from eBay if a buyer returns a different item; it might work for business sellers too but eBay has less obligations where a business seller is being defrauded.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

I watched a video on a 'video streaming chanel ' where an ebay shop holder had the same issue. His ending line was...We buy and sell on trust. When we buy we trust we will get the item advertised and paid for and if the customer isn't happy we trust that they send the purchased item back. This particular seller sold a car bumper with lights brand new, seller said the lights didn't work. Return accepted but the seller got the old bumper back. He took the case everywhere, even to the police but got no help from anyone!

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Payments processed through eBay UK's "managed payments" are handled by eBay Commerce UK Ltd; referred to as "ECUK" in eBay's Payments Terms of Use. ECUK's payment services are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority; you can see ECUK's entry in the FCA register here.

As ECUK's activities are regulated they have a responsibility to protect consumers against fraud. A process that has so far worked in every thread that has received a reply is thus:

1.  When a different item has been received back the seller needs to file a report with Action Fraud and obtain a reference number from them.
  2. At the bottom of the eBay case there will be a link that states "Report a problem" or something very similar. After clicking this link the seller needs to select "Returned a different item" and must include the reference number obtained from Action Fraud in their report along with any other supporting images or documentation.
  3. The return case is closed and a new case is opened which a person at eBay will look into. The provision of an Action Fraud reference number seems key to a private seller being reimbursed by eBay.

Note the above process only applies to eBay Money Back Guarantee cases; not "payment disputes" where the buyer has opened a dispute via their funding source. Also, whilst eBay has obligations to protect consumers (i.e. private sellers) against fraud and suspected fraud I doubt those obligations extend to business sellers.  

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

If a buyer has returned the wrong item, that is mail fraud and only the police can deal with it. They won't want to but you should insist or write to you MP. We pay taxes. 

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

@pillarboxred wrote:

If a buyer has returned the wrong item, that is mail fraud and only the police can deal with it. 

The police will do precisely nothing over a £40 theft other than record the incident. The method I mentioned has worked for posters on this board; here is one such example.

The premise is simple: if eBay is supplied with evidence a fraud has been committed - which is done via the Action Fraud reference number - they have an obligation to protect the seller against suffering a financial loss. In the (seemingly unlikely) event that fails the seller can take up the matter with the Financial Ombudsman Service.

The police (Action Fraud) aren't going to do anything about the buyer involved unless they have received enough reports about an individual that exceeds whatever internal threshold they use. An affected seller should therefore be aware of the protection they have so they don't suffer a financial loss.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

@pillarboxred wrote:

If a buyer has returned the wrong item, that is mail fraud and only the police can deal with it. They won't want to but you should insist or write to you MP. We pay taxes. 

How exactly is that 'mail fraud'?

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Thank you to everyone who took the time out to reply to me. He did indeed return different items. I sent photographic proof and ebay closed the case this morning in his favor and refunded him.

I have filed a report with action fraud. It isn't really about the money even though times are tough, it was the bizzarre gaslighting behaviour of the buyer. Constanly saying things like "you sent the wrong stuff! Please advise" and when I replied it was impossible as i didn't own the item he was claiming I sent he would say things like "it's a mystery". I started to think had i done this? Have i made a mistake? I knew i had not but he made me doubt myself. Thanks again.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

@selsb1234 wrote:

He did indeed return different items. I sent photographic proof and ebay closed the case this morning in his favor and refunded him.

I have filed a report with action fraud. 

You should have followed the instructions. When you received the different items back you should have first filed a report with Action Fraud and obtained a reference number from them. Then you should have used the "Report a problem" link in the case, selected "Returned a different item" as the reason and provided the Action Fraud reference number and the photos you have in the eBay report.

Do you have a reference number and/or a report from Action Fraud now? If so, you'll need to appeal eBay's decision - the link to do this should be in the last message you received from eBay where they state they have closed the case. In your appeal you must include the Action Fraud reference number and their report if you have one.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

I had an issue (1st time in 18yrs) on my business account - buyer sent me the wrong item back - I called Ebay and the rep refunded both me and the buyer, so they maybe they look at both accounts to make a decision or just trust the seller is telling the truth and protect us

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent