Offer full or partial refund to cover postage cost?

I recently sold a monitor and after the buyer recieved the item he said it wasn't compatible to his system. He offered to pay the postage costs if I accepted a return. (The listing stated no returns accepted). The item was in perfect working order, it's just not right for him as he didn't check if it worked with his computer. 

He then returned the item to me under 'not as described' so I had to pay £70 for him to return it to me.  I have recieved the item back and it's in the same condition, so am thankful for that. Can I offer a partial refund to the buyer so I get the postage cost repaid to me?

Thanks in advance everyone

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

Only business sellers can deduct an amount from refunds. However, eBay's terms state clearly that a deduction cannot be used to recover postage costs. So, no, within eBay's process you cannot recover postage costs from the buyer.

You should contact eBay and ask for eBay to cover the return postage costs due to buyer abuse of the returns process. Whether eBay will help you I don't know. They certainly won't if you don't ask.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Unfortunately I don't believe you can hold back any money to cover the postage, you have to refund the full amount.

Did you say you would accept the return if he selected the changed my mind option? If he selected that I believe he would have paid the return  postage cost. If you did say you would accept a change of mind I wonder why he selected not as described.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

He had "no returns accepted".

This means that returns like "change of mind" - are not allowed, so the buyer can only select "item not described" extera.

How much is the postage anyways?

If you want, just relist for a slightly higher price

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Thanks all. The postage was £70 as it was heavy and expensive. I wasn't aware the buyer couldn't select the "change of mind" option if I don't accept returns. So from what I've learned if I don't want to accept returns in future I should choose to accept returns so the buyer has to pay the postage. It seems pointless listing an item with "no returns accepted" as the buyer always has the right to return this way and the seller pays the postage which is completely unfair. 

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

"So from what I've learned if I don't want to accept returns in future I should choose to accept returns so the buyer has to pay the postage".

No ,basically all sellers have to pay return postage cost if a buyer claims not as described (if item shows as covered by the MBG as not all items are).

If that happens you can appeal to Ebay and report buyer for misuse of Ebays MBG.It has been known for Ebay to refund the return p+p cost to sellers that do this.

You should also look up what "chargeback" means as that seems to be the most common word on these boards nowadays.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Yes I understand, but I meant to say at least if I accept returns the buyer has the option to pay for postage themselves by selecting 'does not fit' or 'changed mind' etc.

Should I refund the buyer now in full or ask ebay to refund my postage costs before doing this?

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent