NEGATIVE FEEDBACK FOR BUYERS

FOR SOME REASON BEST KNOWN TO THEMSELVES EBAY DO NOT ALLOW SELLERS TO LEAVE BUYERS NEGATIVE FEEDBACK YET BUYER CAN LEAVE FOR SELLER. I UNFORTUNATELY HAVE FROM TIME TO TIME HAD NON PAYERS AND OBVIOUSLY THEY DESERVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK BUT CAN’T LEAVE UNLESS UNDER “POSITIVE “ HEADING WHICH IS SIMPLY MISLEADING. IF YOU SEE BUYER HAD 100% FEEDBACK YOU ARE VERY UNLIKELY TO READ THROUGH TO SEE IF ANY ARE NEGATIVE 🙈🙈🙈🙈 IF YOU REPORT NON PAYER TO EBAY THEY CAN SEE YOUR FEEDBACK IS 100% TRUTHFUL. THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE. DON’T FORGET NO SELLERS NO EBAY, YES OF COURSE THAT APPLIES TO BUYER. WE NEED TO BE WORKING ON LEVEL PLAYING FIELD

Message 1 of 125
See Most Recent
124 REPLIES 124

UNFORTUNATELY yes but I took immediate steps to rectify once I realised mistake. I also messaged the buyer. I still await eBay removing even though they promised me they would.

Message 41 of 125
See Most Recent

Actually that's not always the case at all. I had someone return a lipstick she had tried and expected a full refund. I called ebay to ask where I stand and they told me to issue her a 50% refund.

This angered her immensely but I had already paid both lots of postage and lost the item as I couldn't re-sell it.

Different categories obviously have different rules.

Message 42 of 125
See Most Recent

I would say that there does need to be a better system for ebay to wheedle out unscrupulous buyers who have a pattern of behaviour of INADs, attempting to get partial refunds, or non payment.

I am almost 100% sure there is in fact already a system in place-just not a public facing one-and the reason I say this, is once I had a bad experience with a buyer, and ebay actually sided with me, I was shocked to say the least, the advisor said they could see some "activity" on their account.

Feedback is altogether pointless for sellers and buyers. Sellers-you have no way of vetting buyers before they buy (other than the buying restrictions for strikes-which is a great idea) and buyers-you are so well protected on ebay, there is really no need to check feedback, although I suspect most of us do out of habit.

Negs for sellers (within reason) rarely put me off-especially when other positives are left as well-unless the seller has posted a reply that is an expletive ridden tirade at the buyer. That makes me think the seller would not put a mistake right if it happened, without being forced to.

Message 43 of 125
See Most Recent

I can't agree that feedback is pointless.

I often look at the feedback buyers leave for others - that can tell you a great deal about the person who has bid on your item.

I have (not very often) cancelled a bid if the buyer leaves lots of negatives or seems to have a lot of items that never arrive.

I don't sell a lot so checking out my bidders doesn't take loads of time and I think it has probably saved me from some unwarranted returns or false INRs.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 44 of 125
See Most Recent

Absolutely and utterly pointless leaving a positive feedbak then slurring the buyer.

Who are you trying to impress because it won't deter other sellers for one fact and that is they don't have a clue who that buyer is!

Stop frustrating yourself, block the buyer and move on

*If you want to make enemies, try to change something - Woodrow Wilson
*It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change - Charles Darwin
Message 45 of 125
See Most Recent

It's not slurring the buyer, it's leaving an honest representation of what you have experienced from that buyer.

And it can help future sellers.

If I sell something expensive, I will always check the buyers history now. I have had too many buyers try to get discounts/refunds by claiming I've only sent one item when I've sent 2 (I photographic evidence on ebays recommendation) or they will claim their item hasn't arrived/was damaged etc.

If they have a history of this behaviour, which can only be shown in feedback, then I will cancel the sale and block the buyer.

I don't know why so many of you are being so judgy about sellers trying to protect themselves from theft??

Without small businesses there wouldn't be an eBay, yet it sounds like some of you are trying to protect the buyers right to extort money! 😂

Message 46 of 125
See Most Recent

* I keep photographic evidence!

Message 47 of 125
See Most Recent

So, if I’ve got numerous (positive) green dots saying what a horrible, useless non-paying bast buyer I am - how does that help anyone except me?

Say I bid on any auction in the last few seconds, what use are all these green dots to any seller?

If sensible sellers use the unpaid process, I’ll get strikes and be unable to bid at all for any item from some sellers.

It’s obviously up to individual sellers to set their own requirements and restrictions - or not, if they don’t want to.

The only way to avoid me, or anyone, as a non-payer is to use a BIN immediate payment.

If you don’t, you have to face one of the perils of online selling - and if the seller has a history of leaving false positives, which willy be shown in feedback, then eBay might will cancel the account and block the seller.

And, in any event, sites which allow buyers not to pay before completing an order for goods can’t be counted on even one hand.

Message 48 of 125
See Most Recent

Non-payers aren't an issue for me as I only sell by BIN.

You're correct - that option to report non-payers is helpful and they can be penalised for that by eBay allowing you to block them, but my issue is the buyers who are routinely stealing from sellers by making false claims after receiving the goods.

The only way other sellers can see this history is with feedback as ebay do not cancel their accounts, they allow this behaviour to continue.

I have sold thousands of products on ebay now so have likely experienced a much higher volume of attempted theft than many of you. Perhaps if you had been on the receiving end of this behaviour a bit more you might appreciate where we're coming from?

I'd like to know why so many on here are getting angry about sellers leaving false positives.

How does it affect you if you are honest buyers?

Message 49 of 125
See Most Recent

.....my issue is the buyers who are routinely stealing from sellers by making false claims after receiving the goods.....

Does that just apply to eBay?

Message 50 of 125
See Most Recent

Absolutely not! But eBay is the platform I'm currently selling on and what we are discussing here.

Message 51 of 125
See Most Recent

So no matter where anyone sells, they have that problem.

And who reads the positive experience  green dots here on eBay - some, yes - but, in the grand scheme of things, IMHO a miniscule few.

Feedback is outdated - it either needs to be altered in some way or ditched altogether.

What is current doesn't take into account all of the sellers successes where feedback isn't left.

And many aren't being judgy about sellers trying to protect themselves from theft.

It's a discussion board and everyone is free to express their opinion and also to be challenged.

Message 52 of 125
See Most Recent

I recieved an email in my personal account this morning from someone on this dicussion, who most definitely was being very judgy and had taken the time to read through my feedback and quote me! 😁

Message 53 of 125
See Most Recent

@billyandbrian wrote:

I am almost 100% sure there is in fact already a system in place-just not a public facing one-and the reason I say this, is once I had a bad experience with a buyer, and ebay actually sided with me, I was shocked to say the least, the advisor said they could see some "activity" on their account.

Yes I think that's a sure thing. Last year I contacted CS in the hope of getting some really silly feedback removed. I had only just confirmed the item number and before I could say or ask for anything I was told the case has been closed in your favour and the negative feedback has been removed. I was left thinking what what, then managed to mumble a thanks.

I did a double take yesterday when looking at a buyers feedback. Only one page and there three quarters of the way down was a neg. Yes all feedback for a buyer only, not a seller. Then I looked at the dates and it became clear they only bought something like every two years and most of the feedback was labelled over a year. So the neg was over a decade old when such a thing was possible.

Message 54 of 125
See Most Recent

Because it is against the rules.

Message 55 of 125
See Most Recent

unfortunately the false positive you left for a buyer breaks so many rules - 

# False positives are serious feedback abuse

# Announcing you have reported them to eBay.

# Referring to feedback left for other transactions.

# Referring to feedback left for others.

etc.

Never do any thing that could damage your account.

Message 56 of 125
See Most Recent

could not agree more, its been the case I think for 10 years or more, from memory.

It makes the feedback system meaningless. I still get buyers saying item not arrive when I have there name and signiture on royal mail site.

Report buyer and add them to blocked buyer list is what I do.

All the best.

Message 57 of 125
See Most Recent

Hi. Yes I too have had several buyers claim items not received. When I check and find out they have I take photo and send them proof. End of story. Surely these people shouldn’t be allowed to continue on eBay and fully deserve NEGATIVE feedback. I too report and block.

Message 58 of 125
See Most Recent

that actually proves nothing, the seller could photograph two items and then take one or both out of the parcel, replace with something else etc, just like a buyer can claim not to have recieved.  There are plenty of scammer sellers just like scammer buyers.  As they say you pays your money......

Message 59 of 125
See Most Recent

100% agree with you, I've learnt now to briefly scroll through some recent reviews because you generally find if a buyer is forced to leave it as a positive review they will make it stand out by using capitals and or symbols

Message 60 of 125
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: