I think buyer is trying to scam me via returns process..

I sold an electric guitar amp, virtually brand new. About 4 days later i recieved a return request from the buyer saying i had not listed it correctly and this was an 'acoustic' guitar amp and not an electric one. I used it with my electric guitar no problem, the website i got it off didn't mention anything about it not being suitable for use, it worked totally fine with my guitar. i also included a jack lead in the sale. 

Buyer told me i did not say it was acoustic, even though the pics i uploaded clearly showed it written on the amp, and it was "exactly what he didn't want".

i accepted the return and ebay on the return request asked me to purchase a label and upload it onto the return case page, which i did the same day, i bought a label from evri and uploaded it onto the case.  

5 days later the buyer sends me a pic of the amp and asks me if i'm sending him a label for him to return and i said yes i've uploaded it onto the case you need to print it. the issue is- when he sent me a picture of the amp he was returning, it was an amp box, for the EXACT same model of amp i sold him. this isn't something that can be bought from argos etc like a phillips branded electrical  item, this was an amp of a specific brand and model, and the box he had was EXACTLY that, even with the 'acoustic' model bit on it. i never sent the amp in the original box, i just wrapped it in tonnes of bubble wrap and double boxed it in cardboard boxes. how on earth does he have the box? he never said "i have this one already i don't want it" and it's making me very concerned.. i worry he has this amp already and is going to swap a potentially broken amp of the same brand/model as mine and keep the one i sent him which was working and virtually brand new... i asked him how he has the box of that model/brand and he ignored me. 

a day later he messages again this time with a quote from ebay saying he can escalate his case to ebay in 1 day time and "what do you think?" what does that comment even mean??  i replied again and said i've sent you the label... and also attached it in a private message. the case has now been escalated and is 'with ebay'  i contacted ebay again today on the phone to explain my concerns, i have done absolutely everything as i should/uploaded everything onto the return case page and i'm so confused what's happening. the buyer hasn't replied to me at all  since that message saying "what do  you think?" which i feel was kind of threatening like "i'm going to escalate this to ebay, what do you think of that?" idk if i'm reading too much into it but it just feels really fishy and i'm concerned when or if i recieve this item back it's either not the same one or it's broken, and by the sounds of things ebay aren't much help if it is... 

any advice on this and where i stand? if he does return broken item what are the chances of ebay actually helping if i contact them before i do any sort of refund?  what if he sends the amp back in a different box and packaging to what i sent it in, as i don't believe an amp  in a cardboard box with no packaging protection is adequate

Thx

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Did you send the return label through a "not as described " claim ?.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

the buyer opened a return not as described request, we exchanged some messages via the return request page and then i accepted it, then on the return case page it had little squares for me to upload a postage label/pictures and it asked me to upload it and buy it elsewhere not on ebay, so i uploaded the evri label to that returns page. then those messages occured from the buyer via private message and now a case is open, that the buyer has escalated. i sent the label on the 25th. 

i just spoke with ebay again tonight to confirm i absolutely do not need to do anything and she confirmed, she actually said the case has been opened "incorrectly" but did not elaborate or explain why the buyer had escalated, surely he had a reason provided? i also sent him a message again tonight with the label attached, she confirmed she can see all the labels i've sent. it's very bizarre behaviour tbh and i don't know how he has escalated, or why!? the annoying thing is he has 10 days apparently to return this back to me from the 25th but because hes escalated the claim to ebay the clock resets and now he has until the 11th april?!

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

The first thing I would've done via messages in the return case would be to ask if he was getting you mixed up with another seller and purchase, because the amp that you sent out didn't come with the original box, yet his photo shows a box.

This just serves as a gentle nudge that it looks like the old switch scam, and that you know what he's up to. eBay can also read the message and if you do receive an amp back that wasn't the one you sent out you can at least report him to eBay. 

Edit: I've just had a look at your listing and the condition in item specifics is new, so he may be able to claim that it did come boxed.

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is applicable). 

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

yeah, he didn't send me the message with the picture of the original box in the return case though, he sent it in a private message about 4 days after id accepted the return and sent him the label. so it wasnt clear from the start or i definately would have asked that right away.

yeah i hear what you're saying about the 'new' listing, it was new virtually, i played it about 3 times very lightly when i got an electric guitar to try and learn and realised that guitar wasnt for me haha so i sold both, it was practically brand new though as i say, it was in pristine condition and used for probably 30 mins in total. 

I did say to ebay i did not send in original packaging though, just wrapped in lots and lots of bubble wrap and 2 random cardboard boxes without branding on, i told them on the phone and in a private message, they did apparently make a 'note' of this but not sure how real that comment was, i also asked where he got the original box from, which he didn't answer. i do believe he may be doing soem sort of switch but funnily enough i looked at his feedback last night and i found feedback from someone who said they 'listed it wrong and had to accept a return but he was a good buyer" when i clicked on that, the listing was for the EXACT same amp as the one i sold. i actually reached out to that guy and asked him if he recieved the item back in one peice working etc, and we are in the middle of private messaging now.

i know it was only £50 but it's the principal and i'm not going to be conned if that's what he's trying to do.  what's odd is the buyer said to me he has never done a return before, when i said "i uploaded the label onto the case return request so you should be able to download it if that's how it works, i haven't done a return before sorry" he said "yeah i havent done a return either"  red flags even more now because he 100% has! 

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

@toylandvintage wrote:

yeah i hear what you're saying about the 'new' listing, it was new virtually, i played it about 3 times very lightly when i got an electric guitar to try and learn and realised that guitar wasnt for me haha so i sold both, it was practically brand new though as i say, it was in pristine condition and used for probably 30 mins in total. 

You really should have listed it as used then, there's no such item specific as 'virtually new'. If it was played very lightly then it would be considered used in eBay terms. It's always way better to undersell items and then buyer expectation is exceeded and you end up with a happy buyer, than to oversell and disappoint.

I can't tell you what the outcome of your return will be, save that you'll need to play it by the book and wait until you receive your item (or a switched old/broken amp) back and then work out how to proceed from there. 

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

While you should not have listed the amp as 'new' since it is not, it is used I think you should still be in the clear as far as the return, the buyer is entitled to send the same device back as Not As Described since it is not new but of course this is reliant on them sending the same item back.

One thing: on your listings for electronic devices try and include one picture with the serial number visible. This can help you in the case of a device being returned that isn't the one you sent and if your listing has the pictures with the serial number that proves it vs the one that was returned this can ease the process along.

If whatever is returned to you is not what you sold then you should not issue a refund, report a problem with the return and provide your evidence then start a chat with customer service who should then have the necessary details.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: