How do I, as a seller, initiate a return?

I recently sold a couple of items, whihc the buyer recieved a week ago, and today they gave negative feedback.

They have sent me a message requesting a refund, but I want them to return the items, how do I do this?

I don't see an option to start a return from my selling page?

Any and all advice will be much appreciated. 

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

You cannot start a case.

If the buyer wants a refund, they will need to open a return case through Ebay.  Then you provide a label for a tracked return, through the case the buyer opens, and then refund them when you get the items back.

Respond to the buyer by saying they need to open a return case through Ebay and you will respond to that.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Tell the buyer to open a return. 

If the problem is down to them - wrong size ordered, changed mind etc., then they pay for the return postage, but if it arrived broken, or is not as described, then when the buyer chooses this reasonfor the return it will be down to you to pay for the postage label.

When you get it back, then refund them ASAP <2 or 3 days I think it is> through the case to close it.

You will receive your final value fees back this way.

Further info is given below in the help page:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115&st... 

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

If I choose eBay's return label, will it include tracking to prove the item was returned?

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

The buyer has now requested the return, and said the item does not match the description or photos.

They have uploaded photos of the items recieved, and the photos match the listing, so how are they not as described?

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

@jackspea wrote:

If I choose eBay's return label, will it include tracking to prove the item was returned?

It's been a while since I've had a return, but the Ebay label does have some form of tracking as it shows as delivered from what I remember, however, if it is expensive then you would be wise to upload your own postage label to cover whatever compensation would be needed if it were to get lost.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

@jackspea wrote:

The buyer has now requested the return, and said the item does not match the description or photos.

They have uploaded photos of the items recieved, and the photos match the listing, so how are they not as described?

I'm afraid that this is something that happens from time-to-time. 

It sucks, but if you do not accept the return, Ebay will just refund them from your account & you will not get the item back. 

Is it the buyer who has bought 2 items & left 1 neg & 1 neutral?  If so, have they opened 2 cases?

Have you looked at the feedback they leave for others? Do they leave a lot of negs or do they have a lot of refunds?

There is probably not much you can do about it, but you can glean some info from their feedback sometimes as to with whom you are dealing with.

The best senario is that the buyer has just changed their mind & wants a free return & you get back exactly what you sent in the same condition. 

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

They have to add photos to the return - it doesn't really matter what the photos show.

From the feedback left, the basis for opening the return is that the item or items are not genuine.

Photos won't show if the items are real or fake.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Good Evening Jack

You have been given good advice by a number of respondents. My additional thoughts are when you receive the perfume back then avoid re listing it.  You are selling very expensive scent and could find yourself in the same position again should you be tempted to offer it for sale. 

Protect your account by selling the type of items that you have sold before ie safe and something you are confident is the real deal.  With such a low feedback score and two black marks you will have to tread very carefully until you build your account back up.

One final observation is that on the listing I looked at you sent it 'economy class'. You are only covered for up to £50.00 with this service you need to upgrade to 'Special Delivery' which covers you for more expensive items. 

Protect yourself by using the appropriate Royal Mail service,otherwise you may find yourself out of pocket ie Royal Mail not paying out the full claim etc..

Good luck with your future sales.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

It's against eBay policy to sell used perfumes.

Even spraying it once like you say in the listing means it's used so your buyer has a case for it being not as described.

Whatever you do don't relist it if you get it back.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Yes it will be a tracked label which is usually a Royal Mail tracked 48.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent