HMRC data sharing

Can someone confirm when they have stated "starting January 1st 2024" they will being to share all data with HMRC does that mean that all sales starting from Jan 1st 2024 will be shared in the new format? I know historically that they have shared data but is this new rule in relation to all sales from 1st Jan 24 or everything historically?

I'm not a master criminal or a huge fraudster I literally sell £200 - £300 a month on here so think I may be over this limit and fear a taxman letter. 

Message 1 of 120
See Most Recent
119 REPLIES 119

HMRC data sharing

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

eBay will automatically share this information with HMRC by 31 January 2025 – the first lot of data-sharing will cover the current 2023/24 tax year but it's been stated that the information given to HMRC will start 1st Jan 2024.

Message 2 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

I've just had a look at the items you've been selling, which predominantly seems to be old signed football shirts, presumably from your own collection, so there shouldn't be any tax to pay as a private seller.

A private seller selling their own personal items isn't subject to this, see here:

https://www.gov.uk/check-additional-income-tax

eBay will pass on data to HMRC automatically if you're selling 30 or more items a year OR have total earnings over the equivalent of £1,770, which you seem to, but if you're a private seller then there's no tax to pay.

Message 3 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

People might want to read this first before going into panic mode.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-do-you-have-to-pay-tax-for-selling-secondhand-on-v....

Message 4 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

Thanks for the advice, Appreciate the help.👍🏻

Message 5 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

As it is an international scheme and will give them more information to help combat money laundering and therefore terrorism,  or at the very least to ensure the multi national online platforms are paying all their taxes and VAT, I'm of the opinion they might be more interested in master criminals than the wee man in the street.

Message 6 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

This may be correct, but I've heard that at the request of HMRC, they can go back years!

Message 7 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

We should all work on the assumption that HMRC can receive data from eBay (and other platforms) going back years if requested by HMRC. Same for HMRC and your bank. So if you know you are not currently compliant then don't assume you have another year to put things right - do it now. However, if you are following the rules then nothing changes - private sellers can sell their own items (i.e. not selling for profit) without needing to do a tax return or pay tax. That hasn't changed.

I expect that the new legislation is not targeting individuals whose sales total a few thousand pounds a year of used items, but larger scale operations that could mean tax evasion, VAT fraud, money laundering, counterfeit goods etc. Broadly we should all support efforts to track down any such offenders - taxes illegally not paid is lost public spending (on schools, hospitals, roads or whatever you like to think our taxes are best spent on).

Message 8 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

So am I right in thinking that as a private seller, by selling the items I no longer need or that I find in my loft and want to sell for a little bit of extra money, I'm limited to only sell 30 items per year.? 

I sold 38 items in the 8 weeks in the run up to Christmas, and possibly many more throughout the year, so have I gone past the stated threshold and going to be shafted by HMRC if I do the same this year.?

KevinC

Message 9 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

If HMRC prosecuted everyone that

fiddled their tax just  on ebay alone 

they would need. Tens of thousands of extra staff,,

Processing the investigations tribunals ,prosecutions  appeals etc etc

Plus  the court system would collapse

with the overload

Message 10 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

@kevinc3867 wrote:

So am I right in thinking that as a private seller, by selling the items I no longer need or that I find in my loft and want to sell for a little bit of extra money, I'm limited to only sell 30 items per year.? 

No. 

See here:

https://www.gov.uk/check-additional-income-tax

eBay will pass on data to HMRC automatically if you're selling 30 or more items a year OR have total earnings over the equivalent of £1,770, but even though the data is being shared, it doesn't mean that you will owe tax if you're a private seller.

Message 11 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

It depends on the  reason for HMRC investigations as to how far back they go - 4 years for genuine mistakes, 6 years for carelessness, 12 years for offshore matters (doubt this will be an issue for many here) and 20 years for tax evasion or fraud.

Message 12 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

Great - Thanks for your response and the article link - it makes much more sense now! 👍

Message 13 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

Does anyone know if they are reporting on the 'final figure' or the amt received?  As they included postage when the deduct their fees.THANKS

Message 14 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

That suggests they can provide a National Insurance No? I'm fairly confident I didn't provide eBay with that information on either my private or business accounts, even when moved over to managed payments?

Message 16 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

According to that page, ebay are going to collect everyone's NI number when they hit one of the reporting thresholds.

Message 17 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

@555njp wrote:

That suggests they can provide a National Insurance No? I'm fairly confident I didn't provide eBay with that information on either my private or business accounts, even when moved over to managed payments?

They be asking for it soon enough.

Message 18 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

This is true - and I think it unlucky if you are investigated. And if so - don't panic. They are loathe to prosecute & if you get an extra tax demand, which you think is too high, then they will be reasonable & allow room for compromise. They will bill you at the highest, even the most extortionate, end & hope you give them the lot but liase with them for a reduction. They are, after all, (& contary to what everyone thinks) only human. (Not fully human obviously - 50% is blood-sucking amobea.........)

Message 19 of 120
See Most Recent

HMRC data sharing

Makes sense as they may need to tie multiple accounts to one tax payer.

I hope they can differentiate between genuine private sellers though. They do a lot of the buying on here and if we lose them it's curtains for everyone.

Not like there is an excess of buyers anymore (or smaller sellers for that matter).

Message 20 of 120
See Most Recent