‘Empty box’ return

Today I received a return. Item sold, iPhone 15 pro, brand new and sealed. The reason for returning was that the phone doesn't switch on at all. When I received the return, the package contained a packet of wipes and 3 batteries, I assume to help make up the weight. 
The buyer is fairly local to me, less than 10 miles away. Do I take it up personally or do I go through eBay?

What is the likelihood of eBay covering this kind of activity, as lately it is more prevalent?

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

‘Empty box’ return

Take it up with eBay.

Here's how to appeal the decision for the refund made,  and offer photos of the items received too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/manging-returns-refunds/appeal-eBays-decision-return-missing-ite...

I also recommend calling very first thing in the morning when the lines first open 9 a.m. today being a weekend,  and 8 a.m. on weekdays,  as there's more chance of Dublin answering.

To Contact Customer Services, I find the quickest way to contact them, either for a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back, to click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

‘Empty box’ return

Good Morning Snapes

This was bound to happen sooner or later looking at the high value items that you sell.  Nine hundred pounds is a lot of money to potentially lose.   Go through eBay and explain the situation,before exploring other avenues.

Tressy Girl has given you excellent advice and contact details use them.  In the meantime there is nothing to stop you doing as much research on your buyer as you can.

Good luck. You might need it.

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

‘Empty box’ return

You will need to report the fraud to Action Fraud and get a crime number before contacting eBay to have any hope of getting your money back

For a £900 refund I think eBay will leave you high and dry, I'm afraid

I wonder if the buyer noticed how local you were when they posted the item

I might point out to the buyer that they "made a mistake" and that you only live 10 miles away and can "call to collect" the phone

At that point, the buyer might find it 

Also block the IMEI number, although this only works in Europe, and your phone is probably destined for Africa where the block won't be effective....

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

‘Empty box’ return

I think where high value electronic items (and 'phones in particular!) are concerned, it is probably sensible to assume that there is a better than even chance that you are going to be scammed (regardless of whether you are selling or buying). 

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

‘Empty box’ return

I would message them and say you've forgotten to put the phone in the return. I will pop over and get it as I'm heading your way today. 

Ebay have been informed of this and I have to let them know once I have the phone so the return can be actioned. 

Can you let me know a convenient please.

Some.folks may disagree with this but ebay will do nothing I'm afraid. And if I had lost 900 I would be doing everything I could. Good luck

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

‘Empty box’ return

Once bought some scrap gold from eBay.   Daft beggar not only didn't sent it, but sold it 3 more times on eBay.

Chances of getting my money back were good but decided to check out his social media.  Then emailed suggesting his mum might not be pleased.  I'd worked out her address from a photo of her standing outside her front door on his Facebook page. 

Also check local Facebook and gumtree to see if it's being sold on.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Have fun!

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

‘Empty box’ return

If i gave u my answer i'd prob be banned off here lol. Sorry about this tho. That kind of thing gives me the fear. Sold imacs recently. Never again.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent