Ebay refuse to remove negative feedback for events out of my control

Ok, so I dispatched a package via Royal Mail 48hr stardard delivery.

Unfortunately, for some reason the buyers choice of collection point refused the package and ultimately Royal Mail then returned it back to me.

Since the collection point refused the package, the post man did not scan the QR code as delivered so Royal Mail tracking page does not show a scan.

Due to the package being returned back to me, the buyer decided to leave a negative feedback.

I have contested this with Ebay on the grounds of events out of my control and even sent them a photo of the returned package which shows the red return label and reason for return (Refused).

Having contacted Royal Mail, they acknowledge that the package entered their network on the correct dispatch date but they will not provide me written confirmation of this since the package was sent via standard 48 hour via my Royal Mail OBA.

Ebay refuse to remove the feedback on the grounds of events out of my control, even thorugh the collection point refused the package and Royal Mail will not provide me with the neccessary information for ebay to be satisfied that it was out of my control (Even though they have seen a photo of the return with returns label)

Any advise would be appreciated please.

Message 1 of 46
See Most Recent
45 REPLIES 45

papso22
Experienced Mentor

There is nothing in that feedback that is untrue.  Through no fault of their own the buyer didn't get their item.

Message 2 of 46
See Most Recent

What were the dimensions of the returned package? There are limits to the size which C&C points are require to accept. Packages can only be accepted if -

• Your item weighs no more than 15kg (including packaging) and no one side of the parcel exceeds 90cm, with max dimensions of 0.324 cubic metres. (Any items that are too large or exceed the weight limit will be rejected on arrival at the Click & Collect location and may be disposed of, without reimbursement)

If your package is too large or heavy, just be thankful you got it back.

Message 3 of 46
See Most Recent

Two negatives out of 4000 will hardly harm.    If it was the horny goat weed then that would be a very small package.  

@directtopeeps 

Message 4 of 46
See Most Recent

Very true - however, through no fault of my own, the buyers choice of collection point refused the package.

I've fulfilled my seller responsibility and dispatched on correct dispatch date.

My only hope of getting it removed is if Royal Mail provide the scan information which they have logged within their internal system which isn't public.

What are events outside your control?

Events outside your control include any case in which you haven’t delivered your responses to a buyer due to external factors, such as weather or carrier delays, or when the item arrives late but tracking shows you shipped on time.

1. An item has arrived late but tracking shows that you shipped on time

eBay automatically adjusts your late shipment rate and removes feedback when:

• The carrier scan shows you shipped within your handling time, even if it arrives late.
  • The carrier scan shows the item arrived by the estimated delivery, even if you shipped it late.
  • If there is no tracking or the carrier didn't scan the shipment, it will not count as a late shipment if the buyer doesn't indicate that the shipment was late.

Message 5 of 46
See Most Recent

CD sized padded envelope which weighs about 50g

Message 6 of 46
See Most Recent

I'm always willing to accept a negative if I have done something to cause a negative experience.

However, if it is due to something out of my control, then I will contest it, especially if eBay seller protection states this.

Message 7 of 46
See Most Recent

One thing you didn't mention and no one seems to have asked is did you include the eCP number in the address? If you didn't that could very well be the reason the collection point didn't accept it.

Message 8 of 46
See Most Recent

As galling as it it is, if the buyer didn't get the order for whatever reason, they are entitled to leave bad feedback. Sadly eBay's robots are highly unlikely to remove it - best to try eBay UK Seller Help on X (Twitter).

Message 9 of 46
See Most Recent

The main reason eBay won't remove that feedback,  is because it's too late,  it's over the timeline for any consideration for removal, being over 6 months old.

Message 10 of 46
See Most Recent

I believe my only way to have it removed is to obtain proof that the package entered Royal Mail's network on the correct dispatch date. Once I have that and eBay still refuse to remove it I will file an application with Small Claims for eBay breaching their own seller protection policy.

Message 11 of 46
See Most Recent

Yes the address included the eCP number

Message 12 of 46
See Most Recent

No, the feedback was only left in December. Ebay were unwilling to remove it right from the start

Message 13 of 46
See Most Recent

It won't be removed as the buyer hasn't broken any rules. Your gripe is with RM and eBay aren't interested in that.

Message 14 of 46
See Most Recent

@directtopeeps wrote:

No, the feedback was only left in December. Ebay were unwilling to remove it right from the start

Gotcha,  must have been looking at the wrong neg coudn't see the other one.

Message 15 of 46
See Most Recent

I think I might be tempted to leave a short reply to the neg on the lines of "delivery refused!" and leave it at that. Still showing 100%.

Message 16 of 46
See Most Recent

Correct! however, if I manage to obtain proof of posting from Royal Mail and Ebay still refuse, they are then breaching policy.

The downside of sending standard Royal Mail 24/48 via OBA is they are reluctant to release scanning data to the customer due to them not providing compensation and therefore, they don't want to accept liabilty if mail doesn't arrive at it's destination.

Message 17 of 46
See Most Recent

Yes definitely something to consider.

I feel I must follow this through all the way. When you know that you have fulfilled your seller responsibilities and dispatched on time and the reason for the feedback is down to someone refusing the package at the collection point, I don't feel I should bare a negative for that.

Message 18 of 46
See Most Recent

@directtopeeps wrote:

Very true - however, through no fault of my own, the buyers choice of collection point refused the package.

I've fulfilled my seller responsibility and dispatched on correct dispatch date.

My only hope of getting it removed is if Royal Mail provide the scan information which they have logged within their internal system which isn't public.

What are events outside your control?

Events outside your control include any case in which you haven’t delivered your responses to a buyer due to external factors, such as weather or carrier delays, or when the item arrives late but tracking shows you shipped on time.

1. An item has arrived late but tracking shows that you shipped on time

eBay automatically adjusts your late shipment rate and removes feedback when:

• The carrier scan shows you shipped within your handling time, even if it arrives late.
  • The carrier scan shows the item arrived by the estimated delivery, even if you shipped it late.
  • If there is no tracking or the carrier didn't scan the shipment, it will not count as a late shipment if the buyer doesn't indicate that the shipment was late.

The protection you are quoting is from eBay.com's exporter portal; it is not from eBay.co.uk. It therefore doesn't apply to your transaction. eBay UK's guidelines for when feedback left for a seller is eligible for removal can be found here.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 19 of 46
See Most Recent

Ebay is not breaching any policy and pursuing this route will get you nowhere. The only hope of getting the feedback removed is by emailing the CEO and pleading your case, or by trying eBay Seller Help on Twitter (X).

Message 20 of 46
See Most Recent