Ebay encouraging scammers.

I sold an item on Christmas Day and the buyer got it on the 3rd Jan. Today he has requested a return claiming he got it for a birthday gift but changed his mind. Fact is as soon as he got it, he put it up for sale on his account for £50 (I sold it to him for £15) and it is still for sale on his account even though he has requested a return. I contacted ebay on live chat and told them so Ebay is going to refund him themselves and he gets to keep the item.

Isn't that encouraging buyers to scam sellers?

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

What would you have eBay do here?

Would you prefer that eBay played this by the book and told you that your buyer could return it for a full refund and you'd need to pay for the return postage cost as well?

You've got a result here and haven't lost out.

Personally, I'd be grateful. If eBay have made the refund out of their own pocket then that buyer will have a red flag against their account and they'll be keeping an eye on them. 

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

am i missing something?  Surely if you accepted the return (even though you would have to pay postage probably) then he would have to send it back to you so therefore would not be able to sell it for £50 (in fact you could try that yourself when you got it back).  How is he scamming you?

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Why would the seller need to pay for the return? It was a change of mind.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent