Collection in person code…

As a seller I'm very worried about the buyer not having the collection code. I keep requesting the buyer brings it when they collect an item but they've not responded to that. They're coming today. 
if they don't have the code I can't allow them to take it as the point is then they could say it was not collected and I can't prove it was?

whst do I do! 
im a lone female and I'm now panicking. 
the item is a £700 mobility scooter I've sold for my parents. 
if the chap then says he's not had the goods there is a guarantee and they could take the money back from us? 
so what do I do if some either doesn't know how to get the code/can't find it or refuses and they've driven over to collect? 

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

It's not mandatory to bring that code.  Indeed some people don't have the app which is needed here to present and accept that QR code.

This is what eBay recommend for when the code is not present.

Print off a copy of the order details,  these show the item, price,  and date it,  for the person to sign that they have collected it .

This is eBay's help page on the matter, for proof of collection: https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-collection?id=4181&s...

@kazzie1980s 

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

The buyer is the only person who has bid on the scooter and they have increased the bidding from £350 to £700.  This is a huge red flag!

Are they paying cash on collection? If not, another worry.

You have every right to cancel the sale and refund them if it doesn't feel right. 

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Adding to my comment, if they turn up to your address at the agreed time, ask a neighbour if they could pop round so you are not on your own.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

As a member cannot bid against themselves it would seem that there was a reserve on the item.

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

True, I still think it is suspicious to bid 9 times up to the reserve without contacting the seller to ask what it was. Adding to that, ignoring the messages after the sale. Doesn't  look promising.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

I wouldn't have cancelled the seller to ask about the reserve, I would just have bid until I got there.  I don't think that's suspicious.

Unfortunately although the OP asked for cash or bank transfer in the description, they didn't include it as an official option for payment, so the buyer must have paid through checkout.

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

I hope not and hope it all works well. 

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

I agree @papso22 .   Also,  for some bizarre reason,   some sellers will not disclose a reserve when asked, this buyer may have experienced this,  and thought it then quicker not to message ( and we all know how glitchy messaging can be on the site),  but just to bid and bid,   to reach that reserve.

It's a tactic some use too,  to put off other bidders.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

The code is given to buyers under "order details" for collection items via a PC.

I don't use the app at all but i always get the 6 digit code via the above.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Can you then manually enter it into a PC @four_mid_able ? 

I also do not use the app,  but we've always been told that  the QR code is only OK to use,  if both buyer and seller are using the app.

Is this not the case now ?

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent