Buyer has requested a refund but I can see no option to contest this

Hi, I am a private seller with 'No returns' set. A Buyer has initiated a refund request claiming parts and instructions missing although in their own evidence photo it shows the instructions. I want to dispute the refund but can see no option to do so. The first three options are about issuing a refund with or without getting the item back and the last option is simply to email the buyer which I have done.

Is there any way to dispute this dishonest refund request or how is it best to proceed?

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

When a buyer claims an item isn't as described within the 30 day Money Back Guarantee period a seller can't contest it; the seller has to either send a pre-paid return label (if ebay doesn't do so automatically) or issue a refund. If you don't send a return label the buyer can escalate the case on the third day; if the buyer does this they receive a full refund, the seller receives a damaging defect against their account and the buyer is told they don't need to return the item.

Sellers can report buyers who abuse the returns process and private sellers have a means of recourse if the buyer returns a different item. However, sellers can't do anything until the buyer has used the return label and received what the buyer sends back.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

It is not a good idea to contact eBay in cases like this.  We have heard of situations where they simply close the case in favour of the buyer.  

@abtrade09 

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

So the only viable option is to send a return label (option 1 on the list) and then wait for it to be returned and then issue a refund? That way I lose two lots of postage and probably selling fees as well?

Then how would I report the buyer for saying 'not as described' unjustly?

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

OK I have issued an ebay label and also reported the buyer which 'may' entitle me to a refund of return postage.

What then happens if, when I receive the item, it is damaged or incomplete? Would I still have to issue a refund?

Thanks

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

I'm sorry but I think while there are great protections for customers, there are not enough protections for sellers against dishonest buyers. I have just had to refund a customer who ordered two separate items and claimed neither arrived, and gave me a dubious story about the delivery address being his mothers house where packages are left outside and stolen (I sent flat magazines which go through the letterbox). After refunding, I see another seller (who sold him magazines also) has also suffered claims of non-delivery from him when they left a review on his profile claiming they had proof of delivery. The buyer has now made his profile private so no-one can view the reviews left by others. Hmmm. While I have reported this buyer to eBay, and may be able to claim money back from the postal service, these refund requests are almost completely in the favour of the customer. I only pay extra for tracking when the item costs more than £20, otherwise it eats into whatever little profit I make. I do however take images of the items packed and addressed with stamp (which has buyer's postcode on it) and receipt with proof of purchase (including buyer's address). This is more than adequate proof of postage but eBay insists on paid tracking only. If I make a purchase and it isn't tracked, I can just claim it wasn't delivered and get free stuff, it appears to be that easy for customers on here. Frustrating.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Once the item is returned, you'll have 3 days to refund or Ebay will do it. If it arrives back damaged, incomplete or not what you sent, all you can do is report it to Ebay, if the buyer has a habit of doing things like this, they may do something, but that doesn't help you really.

Sadly, it's one of the risks of selling on Ebay or anywhere else really, some people like to abuse the system 😉

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

eBay's perspective on returns mirrors UK distance selling regulations: it is assumed that the buyer is right, and in some cases it can be impossible for the seller to prove otherwise. Example: second hand cars are under sale of goods act so dealer is liable for faults present in the car at time of purpose that affect its use, if reported by buyer in the first 6 months (Plus other rules). So to refuse a claim the dealer would have to prove that the fault wasn't present at the time the car was purchased, and it's nearly impossible to prove a negative. And the law is deliberately like that, and as consumers we generally benefit from those laws.

Unfortunately, when you are an eBay seller you are on the other end of the deal, so you basically can't refuse these sorts of returns.

There tend to be 3 outcomes for "missing parts" returns:

1. There isn't a fault. Buyer was "fishing" for a partial refund (to put it plainly that is fraud). You avoid that by insisting on a return.
  2. The buyer thinks there's a fault but there isn't. The buyer may be confused, inexperienced etc. a genuine mistake. You accept the return. The buyer will almost certainly return everything as-is, you lose the postage but can resell item.
  3. The buyer wanted to take some of the parts or has swapped things around. Again put plainly this is fraud. If what you receive back isn't what you sent then you submit a report online to Action Fraud, then report the buyer to eBay, and eBay should reimburse you after you provide your Action Fraud report.

If overall you don't want to deal with these situations then you have to stick to selling locally, privately, for cash.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

The kit has been returned complete with the instructions that buyer claimed were missing. Reason for return says part missing which again is not true. In email correspondence buyer just said they did not like it, want it.

So now when I go through the refund process, apart from adding a comment I can see no option to flag to eBay that the buyer is abusing the returns system i.e. they should not be getting free postage by claiming it is not as described.

Anything I can do here or am I out of pocket for postage X 2 ?

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Sadly you have to refund even if they don't like it or changed mind and pickup return postage cost.

All under distant selling rules.

Same applies to items purchased on Amazon or any web site such as those that sell cloths.

Those companies that sell women's cloths online suffer most (but sexiest I know, but true).

Maybe this is why ebay are offering zero fees etc to sellers at the moment, because people are fed up with buyers like yours and not bothering anymore.

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Everyone has advised you and -sadly - we cannot change that. 

You really have no option but to refund through the case.  If you do not do so eBay will do so.

They will give you an account defect and hold onto their fees!

When you have done so you can appeal.  We do not hear of much success and - indeed - sometimes we hear that they will do nothing as they say "you refunded voluntarily" [!!]

@abtrade09 

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

There is a report buyer link on the sold item when using a browser.

It's hidden in the drop down menu where it says "view order details".

Pick the option "buyer misused returns".

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Yes thank you I have already reported the buyer for the reason you suggested. It said ebay may refund postage but seems vague and no idea if they will or even do anything at all.

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: