Buyer claims the phone I sent is scratched and sends me pics of a different phone.

Just sold an iPhone 14 Pro Max.  It was a brand new replacement after mine went back for a problem charging.

Took nice pics with my new iPhone 15 Pro Max before putting it on here.

He claims it's been used and the pics he has supplied show a pretty used phone.  I resent the images I have explaining I wasn't going to put up with dishonesty but was given a load of "dishonesty abuse" back.  Not only does the phone in his pics look used, it looks like it has a screen protector on it, something I have never done.

Seems pretty difficult to get any sense from eBay but this seems like a good scam for geting your phone upgraded cheap.

What can I do?

Message 1 of 32
See Most Recent
31 REPLIES 31

Buyer claims the phone I sent is scratched and sends me pics of a different phone.

1. Has the buyer opened a "dispute" with eBay or just sent messages?
  2. Did you record the IMEI and serial number of the phone you sent?
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 2 of 32
See Most Recent

Yes he has and yes I did.

I also asked for a subsequent picture showing the IMEI number which is and it is correct but of course you can't see any scretches. 

Message 3 of 32
See Most Recent

Phones are a scam magnet on this site,you should have listed it with payment on collection rather than posting it.Almost every week there is somone on these boards who had problems after selling a phone and it's a common scam for dishonest buyers to swap phones claiming it 'was not as described'.

Ebay's return system is fully automated but you may be able to appeal if he sends back a different phone.

Message 4 of 32
See Most Recent

I'm sure it's just a way of updating their phone.  If I do accept, which at this point I'm not, and he returns a different phone, is there any way for him to change the IMEI number to match the original these days?

Message 5 of 32
See Most Recent

At least with the IMEI number you can block the phone/report it as stolen and so the buyer can't use it.

Message 6 of 32
See Most Recent

Electronic & expensive items sold online - such as phones - are a scammer and fraudster's delight. The only advice - a bit late now - is never list such items on the internet.

Message 7 of 32
See Most Recent

Here's what you need to do:

1. Send a pre-paid return label via the case (if eBay hasn't automatically sent one already).
  2. Wait to receive the item back and check to see if it is your device that has been returned or not.
  3. If it is not your device you need to file a report with Action Fraud - providing the IMEI and serial number - then use the link at the bottom of the eBay case to "Report a problem". You need to select "Returned a different item" (or the nearest equivalent option) then - crucially - include the reference number you received from Action Fraud in your report.
  4. If you do receive your item back and it is mostly as you sent it refund and block the buyer. You can use the link mentioned earlier to report them for making a false claim.
  5. If you do receive your item back and it is significantly used or damaged (i.e. significantly not as you sent it) use the report link to report this.

You need to do #1 within three days of the buyer opening the claim/dispute. If you do it any later the buyer can escalate the case, receive a full refund and eBay will tell the buyer they don't need to return the item. It is an automated process that you will almost certainly lose if you try to fight it.

Don't do #3 until you receive the device the buyer sends back. Also, if the item sold for £450 or more the return delivery service must require a signature on delivery - if eBay has automatically issued the return label it will likely be a Royal Mail "Signed For" service. But do check whether they have already sent a label or not - if you haven't the dispute/request should be asking you to upload one.

Have you checked the feedback your buyer has left for other sellers? If so, are there any warning flags there?

Message 8 of 32
See Most Recent

@papso22 wrote:

At least with the IMEI number you can block the phone/report it as stolen and so the buyer can't use it.

My gut feeling is many of the "stolen" devices either end up being exported (an IMEI block only prevents the device from connecting to a UK network) or are stripped for parts to be used by dodgy repair shops who ask no questions.

I mean, it would be a pretty stupid thief who would walk around using a stolen item that is uniquely identifiable and able to be GPS tracked.

Message 9 of 32
See Most Recent

Thanks for taking the time to post all that.

Sad state of affairs when they can just decide the buyer gets a free £700 phone. 😞

Message 10 of 32
See Most Recent

So based on 4-bathrooms' post, I've agreed to accept and send a postage label etc.

FWIW, dispite constantly offering me to refund, this is the text at the end:

The buyer has until 12 Jan to send the item back. If you choose to refund the buyer now, then the return will close and you shouldn't expect to receive the item.  

If the buyer doesn't send the item back by 12 Jan, we may close the return automatically and you will not be required to refund the buyer.  

What a bunch of crooks!

Message 11 of 32
See Most Recent

"If the buyer doesn't send the item back by 12 Jan, we may close the return automatically and you will not be required to refund the buyer. "

To me that reads as Ebay will issue a no fault refund so seller doesn't lose out.

Message 12 of 32
See Most Recent

I think it means the buyer does not get a refund.  Why should they get a refund from ebay if they can't be bother to return the item?

Message 13 of 32
See Most Recent

@rngdeadeye wrote:

FWIW, dispite constantly offering me to refund, this is the text at the end:

The buyer has until 12 Jan to send the item back. If you choose to refund the buyer now, then the return will close and you shouldn't expect to receive the item.  

If you voluntarily refund the buyer that's it - eBay will wash their hands of the matter.

Message 14 of 32
See Most Recent

@rngdeadeye wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to post all that.

Sad state of affairs when they can just decide the buyer gets a free £700 phone. 😞

Following the process I detailed should mean you won't end up out of pocket. eBay has certain obligations as they are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority but you need to follow the process to be protected. If you don't engage with the case correctly eBay will either hold you at fault and/or wash their hands of any responsibility.  

Message 15 of 32
See Most Recent

Which is why I agreed against my original judgement to accept it.

My point was, all through the "accept return" process, there was a big button saying "Refund now", it wasn't until the end when it said "if you do refund, you won't get your phone back".

Message 16 of 32
See Most Recent

@rngdeadeye wrote:

My point was, all through the "accept return" process, there was a big button saying "Refund now", it wasn't until the end when it said "if you do refund, you won't get your phone back".

Oh yes; that button is there to almost trick you into refunding voluntarily. If the action will benefit eBay it is usually a big, blue button that can't be missed (like "Buy It Now"). Everything else is almost hidden, like item descriptions or the "Report a problem" link found at the very bottom of the case.

Message 17 of 32
See Most Recent

@rngdeadeye wrote:

Which is why I agreed against my original judgement to accept it.

And that is why we get so many people on here saying that they refunded and now the buyer won't send the item back!

Message 18 of 32
See Most Recent

Now that is so true.

Message 19 of 32
See Most Recent

This is the danger of selling expensive items on ebay.

1/ The sending something different back scam.

2/ The "I received an empty box" scam

3/ Sending nothing back scam.

In these hard times some people are tempted to scam.

I sold some audio gear for £50.

Buyer said he wasnt happy with it so I organised a return label.

He sent back a lump of wood full of nails.

He got refunded, kept the £50 item and left negative feedback !

Message 20 of 32
See Most Recent