80% final value fees discontinued?

Are the FF are discontinued with last 80% FVF discount last friday? Is it because it is last friday of the year? Friends and family account are not getting them as well this friday!

Message 1 of 222
See Most Recent
221 REPLIES 221

@pg_kicks wrote:

There is no disadvantages to being a private account compared to a business, well you might not get invited to an ebay event but all the talks are put on youtube anyway. With being a private account you will most likely get a good promo not a 10% black friday that you need to fund 6% yourself but 80% off FFV, you dont need to accept returns and eBay dont close your account down, even if they are given a list on a silver plater. The only time they will act is it you get close to 85k then you could just have multiple accounts, even if you needed different IP addresses it would still work out cheaper.

You also get 1000 free listings as a private seller (business sellers have to pay for every listing, regardless of whether it sells - and a shop, which gives you a number of free listings, costs money anyways, so the listings aren't free), you don't get stung with VAT on the fees (meaning that, even if the category rate is lower for a business, it may be more once you've added the VAT onto both the variable and fixed portions), and - most crucially - you don't have to let the entire internet know where you live and what your email/phone number is.

I remember recently reading a thread on this very community whereby a seller on eBay got a phone call (on Christmas Day!) from a potential buyer, which of course they got through the business contact details. I would NEVER be sharing my personal email address, personal telephone number or residential address for all to see, as some people can use this information incorrectly and cause way more hassle than it is worth for even a reasonably large sale (let alone small to medium amounts of sales).

This is why, if you're looking to be a business on eBay, you should have:
1) a disposable phone number, such as a random PAYG number in a burner phone - so you can use that instead of your main phone number that you use on a daily basis (too many spam numbers etc? just get a new SIM and update, etc);

2) a disposable (of sorts) email address purely for eBay stuff (and by eBay stuff, I don't mean main communications, I mean just to fil the business seller box in). You could go for a custom domain, or you could just use a separate free address, which can be dumped if it gets spammed too much.

If you don't have a bricks and mortar business address (i.e. it would just be a residential address), I'd also be looking for an address that you can use that isn't your own (so that the whole Internet doesn't know exactly where you live). Works address? Address of a storage locker (if you have one/rent one out)? That'll do.

Of course, none of the above concerns actually matter if you have a large enough eBay store to warrant some sort of external premises, such as a bricks and mortar shop, warehouse, etc, because you can use that address, a custom/professional email address (that is used for eBay and isn't personal), and you'll probably have a business/work's phone number too.

Remember - STRANGER DANGER!!!

Message 41 of 222
See Most Recent

serenka3
Conversationalist

Aargh, don't say that!!  I rely on the 80% off promotions...the normal fees are 12.8% and as that's on postage as well it's often not worth listing anything 😩

Don't know what they're playing at this time...hope to see a fee offer over the weekend/soonish...

Message 42 of 222
See Most Recent

@serenka3 wrote:

Aargh, don't say that!!  I rely on the 80% off promotions...the normal fees are 12.8% and as that's on postage as well it's often not worth listing anything 😩

Don't know what they're playing at this time...hope to see a fee offer over the weekend/soonish...

This happened last year as well at Christmas - thankfully the promotions came back again the next time (2 weeks afterwards) into the New Year. So I reckon the FVF promos will be back.

Message 43 of 222
See Most Recent

They did this last year over the New Year and the next one was the second weekend of January.

Message 44 of 222
See Most Recent

Yeah I could have listed that and more but thought I'd scale it back, I have an old phone set up and the amount of missed calls and whatsapp messages is insane. 

Then people get annoyed when business sellers are constantly complaining about it like its perfectly fine that they are getting away with it, I dont even question most as they could claim its a hobby they have stopped doing but some are just crazy, they have sold thousands yet claim its just stuff they dont need anymore, mine is a full time business which takes full time hours yet people are claiming they are doing a hobby yet selling the same amount as I sell, they must never sleep.

Sadly eBay dont care though, if trading standards had any backbone they'd fine them then you'd be sure eBay would care.

Message 45 of 222
See Most Recent

I'd have thought it would be easier for trading standards to tell ebay to get its house in order rather pursuing individual sellers. 

Message 46 of 222
See Most Recent

After reading comments, I now vaguely remember having a quiet Christmas and New Year last year with EBay. My explanation to myself at the time was, Ebay must know that no one would bother to buy or sell around this time. 

Message 47 of 222
See Most Recent

I'll just sit tight and continue listing on the other platform where there is no fees, the only time I list now here now is when its the 80%, the fee are way to high even more so when you have to pay it on the P&P as well

Message 48 of 222
See Most Recent

well i have had no sales from beginning of january and then bids started appearing on christmas day and since (only 4 but that is 4 more than the past few weeks)!

Message 49 of 222
See Most Recent

Also, look at it from the calendars perspective. In December 2023 there were five weekends. Normally we receive this notification of 80% off on a Friday.
As there are only two 80% off weekends, per month, this would be highly unlikely to happen in December 2023 because there are five weekends in December 2023. 

Message 50 of 222
See Most Recent

obviously meant to say no sales since beginning of December...

Message 51 of 222
See Most Recent

This its been skiped cos landed on christmas/ new year week no other type of reason. .80% off fees its one week in one out.  No more reason then that.  I posted this above. This was told to me by the ebay centre 

Message 52 of 222
See Most Recent

@voodi82 wrote:

Are the FF are discontinued with last 80% FVF discount last friday? Is it because it is last friday of the year? Friends and family account are not getting them as well this friday!

Nope! Tune back in again January 2024.

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 53 of 222
See Most Recent

@brushofwar wrote:

This its been skiped cos landed on christmas/ new year week no other type of reason. .80% off fees its one week in one out.  No more reason then that.  I posted this above. This was told to me by the ebay centre 

Ebay staff rarely know what they are talking abut - they will say anything you want to hear to get rid of you!

It is because of the 5 weekends in the month - it happens at other times of year when there are 5 weekends. Be interesting to see what reason ebay chat staff give you next time it happens!

Message 54 of 222
See Most Recent

@kempseykate wrote:

@brushofwar wrote:

Ebay staff rarely know what they are talking abut - they will say anything you want to hear to get rid of you!

It is because of the 5 weekends in the month - it happens at other times of year when there are 5 weekends. Be interesting to see what reason ebay chat staff give you next time it happens!

There have been other times whereby there were 5 weekends in a month, and the offer has still come through. The reason why the offer hasn't come through this time is because it is the Christmas/New Year week - the same thing happened last year, and 2 weeks into 2023, we got a 80% off final value fees promo.

I would be more concerned if the final value fee offer didn't come through in 2 weeks' time (12th - 15th January).

Message 55 of 222
See Most Recent

It's probably because they don't need to encourage sellers over New Year.  They will get enough sellers anyway paying full final fees.

Message 56 of 222
See Most Recent

time to de-list a shedload of items then.

ebay, pls listen to your customers, no promo code means it's not viable to sell here with your current fees.

Message 57 of 222
See Most Recent

batro71
Conversationalist

I've had the offer..in fact I get them quite often.

Message 58 of 222
See Most Recent

Are you saying you received the offer on friday 29th dec !!

Message 59 of 222
See Most Recent

Yes but didn't use it

Message 60 of 222
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: