80% final value fees discontinued?

Are the FF are discontinued with last 80% FVF discount last friday? Is it because it is last friday of the year? Friends and family account are not getting them as well this friday!

Message 1 of 222
See Most Recent
221 REPLIES 221

Last February (2023), there followed several threads on this subject. Many private sellers had suddenly stopped receiving any offers. I can only assume that, since nobody has come to the Boards to say they have been reinstated, these sellers still do not receive any offers.

It is possible that a further tranche of sellers will no longer receive these fortnightly offers. It is, perhaps, eBay’s way of phasing these out. It is entirely possible, of course, they will appear again and the Boards will be flooded with threads of rejoicing.

We all must just wait and see.

Message 21 of 222
See Most Recent

Many thanks for your thoughts. However:

1. All of my single issue items are listed at 99p.There is no attempt to 'price gouge'. There are no duplicate listings. There is no 'buy to sell'.

2. Are you seriously suggesting that anyone who makes a profit (intentional or otherwise) from listing their unwanted personal items should not be allowed to sell online? This seems akin to some form of totalitarianism. Are we living in North Korea?

3. I take it that you have no objections to the enormous profits that Ebay generates off the back of it's seller community?

4. If profiting from a sale is frowned upon then why list at all? Our crumbling high streets are full of grateful charity shops, after all. I'm sure that we're all in favour of such altruistic gestures in these challenging times.

Very best regards,

Jon

Sent from Outlook for Android<>
Message 22 of 222
See Most Recent

To determine whether or not you are a business seller in the eyes of the law (which is all that matters) the best thing to do is visit HMRC's website and find the page about "Badges of trading".

That is the methodology by which HMRC will determine if you are operating like a business, whether you personally believe that you are or not.

Many sellers are unaware for instance that it does not matter whether or not you make a profit.   Your supermarket might decide to sell each item for a penny each (not wise admittedly) however they would still be operating as a business.

Message 23 of 222
See Most Recent

Does that mean that anyone who generates an unintentional profit as a private seller needs to open a business account? Is it not the case that HRMC waives the need to declare unless a single item within a certain category generates in excess of £6000 in profit? If not, why are private seller accounts allowed?

Best regards,

Jon

Message 24 of 222
See Most Recent

The word profit needs to be ignored, making or not making a profit is a moot point.

If you buy to sell or make to sell you are a business and should have a business account, if you are just selling off old clothing, dvd's or random collectibles your great aunt left you in her will then you are a private seller.

Message 25 of 222
See Most Recent

Ye me to. Ussually its one week with 80% one week without.  I beeen getting the promotion since i started 2 years ago and today its the first time i havent recived it.

But as ussual no info on why or this has stoped or its just a mistake or what.

Message 26 of 222
See Most Recent

You get the notification mid morning but the promotion its there at 12.01 am

Ussually you go to sell and you can see there 100 of 100 80% fees left to list 

Message 27 of 222
See Most Recent

My items fall very clearly within the 'private seller' bracket. However, the overarching suggestion seems to be that any profit generated from selling these items should be declared to HRMC, regardless of whether intentionally generated or not. Hypothetically, if a great aunt left a signed first edition that was listed privately at 99p and generated an unexpected but significant profit should that be declared to HRMC?

The demarcation point is so subjective that I suspect that HRMC has turned a blind eye to this form of selling, particularly since understaffing and under investment across almost all of the offices of state has hollowed out their capacity to quantify or deal with it. I'm sure that they're fully aware of the situation, none the less.

This has been most informative. Many thanks to all.

Jon

Message 28 of 222
See Most Recent

You can make as much profit as you like on personal items, and although the limit on profit on individual items of £6000 is going to be reduced to £3000 (per item, per pair or per set, depending upon the item) in the next tax year, there are many items upon which you could make more than £6000 profit and pay no tax (the tax being capital gains tax).

And nothing to stop you buying something - cars and watches are particularly good as neither attract capital gains tax - and put it away as a personal investment with the intention (well, hope at least) that it will increase in value.   A Patek Philippe watch  sold for over half a million dollars, a Ferrari Dino for a million dollars - not forgetting the yacht that is eBay's most expensive sold items ever.  None of which would attract a penny of tax under HMRC rules.   

Message 29 of 222
See Most Recent

An excellent explanation. Many thanks!

Message 30 of 222
See Most Recent

You sold 47 dvds in the past couple of months and all but 1 are new or new(other), that is not what most would call a private seller and the 70/80% off promotions are meant for private sellers.   Your seller status and statistics have nothing to do with whether you are a private or business seller

Message 31 of 222
See Most Recent

1. My reply was not to you

2. Sellers operating as a business with the intention of generating an income should be correctly registered  and abide by consumer laws which including displaying your trading details, offering a right to return items etc. 

3. Ebay is a successful business not a public service. You choose to sell on their site and pay the fees or not.

4. There are laws regarding profiting from sales which HMRC can advise you on. All dependant on your total income and tax allowances.

5. Charities are registered business and report to the Charity Commission annually.

Message 32 of 222
See Most Recent

So this its been done on purpose so we can all enjoy the Christmas and new year holidays.(we all know that's not really why )but.. hey the 80%off fees should be back next week .but if this its allready on the code of the system i assume be in 2 weeks time. So ye all good happy new year 

Message 33 of 222
See Most Recent

@voodi82 wrote:

The promotions are not 2 a months but every other week ! 

But only up to 2 a month. It has been the case for as long as I can remember. It doesn't happen often, as there only usually 2 applicable weekends in the month, but this month we had 1st, 15th & 29th as the alternate weeks - so no offer this weekend.

Message 34 of 222
See Most Recent

@voodi82 wrote:

Are the FF are discontinued with last 80% FVF discount last friday? Is it because it is last friday of the year? Friends and family account are not getting them as well this friday!

I didn't get a promo discount today either, I guess it is because of how close to Christmas it is, and that eBay want sellers to pay full fees.

Having said that, this did happen last year as well and 2 weeks later, the final value fee promo did come through.

I guess on 1st Jan I will just pull whatever is going to expire, and the re-list when the next one comes along. Going to hurt eBay more because I'm not listing at full 12.8% fees; 12.8% is way too much! It should be more like 5%.

Message 35 of 222
See Most Recent

@litp*records wrote:

To determine whether or not you are a business seller in the eyes of the law (which is all that matters) the best thing to do is visit HMRC's website and find the page about "Badges of trading".

That is the methodology by which HMRC will determine if you are operating like a business, whether you personally believe that you are or not.

Many sellers are unaware for instance that it does not matter whether or not you make a profit.   Your supermarket might decide to sell each item for a penny each (not wise admittedly) however they would still be operating as a business.

It's not HMRC rules that dictate whether a seller needs an eBay business account,  but consumer trading laws.  They are considerably simpler. 

Buy something, or make something, to sell = trading = eBay business account. 

Message 36 of 222
See Most Recent

Same for me - maybe (hopefully) it's because it's the end of the year and it'll be back soon

Message 37 of 222
See Most Recent

ebay stopped FVF promotions for businesses at the end of 2022, stopped the promo for a number of private sellers in Feb 2023 so perhaps this is the next step in phasing out the promotion. 

Message 38 of 222
See Most Recent

Is it just me missing something or does it seem like there’re more “private” sellers than business sellers these days?

Message 39 of 222
See Most Recent

There is no disadvantages to being a private account compared to a business, well you might not get invited to an ebay event but all the talks are put on youtube anyway. With being a private account you will most likely get a good promo not a 10% black friday that you need to fund 6% yourself but 80% off FFV, you dont need to accept returns and eBay dont close your account down, even if they are given a list on a silver plater. The only time they will act is it you get close to 85k then you could just have multiple accounts, even if you needed different IP addresses it would still work out cheaper.

Message 40 of 222
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: