Paid twice

I bought an armchair and chest and opted for cash on collection. I paid the £140 cash to the seller and they marked items as paid. However £140 has also been taken from my bank account. How do I get this refunded?

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Paid twice

If you made an offer, payment will have been taken as soon as the seller agreed the price.

You should contact the seller, let them know you have paid twice, and ask them to arrange a refund of the payment made through Ebay.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Paid twice

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

It isn't clear how this happened, and it doesn't fall into any of the normal methods for getting a refund.

The problem is that if you paid through eBay checkout (by PayPal, credit card etc.) eBay will regard this as "the payment". If you also paid the buyer in cash eBay won't have any record of this.

Your best hope is that the seller will voluntarily repay the cash payment, and I'm sure that eBay customer support will say the same if you ask them.  Getting a refund of the payment you made through eBay checkout could be very complicated, or maybe even impossible without rule breaking.

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Paid twice

ask them to arrange a refund of the payment made through Ebay.

But how to do this without the seller's selling fee being refunded - which would effectively make it unintended fee evasion? This is why I said that I couldn't see how to do this through eBay without rule breaking.

I'm sure that customer support would say that the seller should return the cash payment.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Paid twice

Seems to me the seller has been a bit naughty.   They might not have realised they had immediate payment set up but must have noticed the email from ebay saying they had been paid, even if it was then on hold.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent