Type 2 Diabetes

Can anyone who is type 2 diabetic please sum up how it affects their life please?

......................................................................................................................

A clean house is the sign of a broken computer!
Message 1 of 77
See Most Recent
76 REPLIES 76

Type 2 Diabetes

i was diagnosed about 2 years ago and the biggest problem you will have if you do not stick to a good sugar and saturated fat free diet is that all your tiny blood vessels will get blocked by sugar and fat as you do not have enough insulin to clear them  which then puts your toes feet eyes and fingers in danger of failing blood vessels which could lead to blindness and associated diseases  your feed and fingers if they get cut or infected could get ganggreen leading to amputation.it could also lead to big organ failier internally.

so long term problems more than short term.

i have my bloods done 6 monthly

and my feet and eyes tested once a year.

you do get use to the fat and sugar free diet but if you are a sugar eater( cakes sweets etc) it can be very hard.

and use vitalite dairy free margerine for cooking

rapeseed oit for roastingand frying

and canderel (cheaper version )as sugar.

hope this helps a bit

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 2 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

husband was diagnosed type 2 several years ago. We were given loads of literature by the practice nurse regarding diet, which I studied closely at the time. I found the easiest way to manage his condition was for me to change my shopping habits drastically, I simply don't buy anything that is bad for him because I can't trust him not to eat it if it's in the house! Initially we had the usual male moan of haven't we got any ......., I'm hungry and there's nothing to eat, why don't you buy anything nice, etc. Now he can eat (within reason, not all at once!) whatever is in the house, and as a bonus my diet is a lot healthier too.

Good luck, once you get used to it you will find it fairly easy, just please attend all the appointments for check ups - they are important.

Message 3 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

i agree i have now settled down and every 3/4 days if i want a smaal treat like cake or butter on toast i have it .i just know then i have to be good for a few days but you do get use to it.

BUT I STILL MISS MY SWEETS AND DOLLY MIXTURES AND LIQUORICE.

but something you will notice is that when shopping you look at all levels of sugar in foods and you will be shocked at how much sugar is in food savory and sweet like soup bake beans yoghurts etc.

normal people should avarage 90 grames of sugar a day

and type 2s should avarage 60 grames of sugar a day

.................................................................................................................
Message 4 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

agree about the shock of how much sugar etc. is in food. Must also add that sometimes the shopping takes me ages with looking at labels, although over the years I am getting better at knowing what contains the highest sugar, salt etc. Fortunately we are now retired so I have time to make most things from scratch, don't know that it would be very easy if I were still working.

Message 5 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

I have had type 2 diabetes for years, it's a very healthy diet , it doesn't rule me I rule it, I've always been active , don't smoke, never really had a sweet tooth( apart from lemon muffins lol.) the key for diabetes is, low fat, high fibre, little or no salt ( good way to flavour with herbs).watch your weight . Always have your eyes seen too.the only difference I have to a non diabetic is I always carry an emergency sandwich & apple with me Incase I can't get a meal. The key to managing is to listen to your body, don't skip meals eat sensibly , listen to your nurse, & enjoy life you don't have to go without!.

**********Sam**********
Message 6 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

Some very useful information there from both of you - very helpful.

Thank you very much.

......................................................................................................................

Message 7 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

Sorry saasher - you weren't there when I was typing.

Thank you.

Message 8 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

Further to that do not buy Diabetic Chocs etc, eat too many & you'll regret it .
They are expensive & full of fructose eat too many & you'll end up with the sqidgies . Your far better with a good quality dark choc eaten after a meal so the sugar content is released slowly.

**********Sam**********
Message 9 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

No problem, don't get down about it! It's the start of a good healthy lifestyle, if you want to ask a question do so! We've all been through it. In fact I think we ought to start a diabetic recipe thread,

**********Sam**********
Message 10 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

I do know a lot of this as my brother is insulin dependant and has been for over 40 years, but wasn't sure what the differences are between type 1 and type 2 lifestyle wise.

I have checked all the recommended and not recommended foods and they almost exactly what I already eat and avoid, so not sure what changes I'll need to make.

Message 11 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

Type one is there from the start it's a malfunction of the pancreas the organ that produces insulin, type two is usually controlled by diet & or tabs, can occur through overweight , age, menopause, pregnancy & in my case genetics, that sounds as though it affects only women not so, it affects just as many men!.

**********Sam**********
Message 12 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

I'm type 2 but I know I eat too many carbs, I always have from childhood, it's the way we were brought up.

It's true about the diabetic foods, not worth buying and far too much sorbitol.

if we go out for the day I always make sure I have spare food just in case I feel wobbly, or we can't get to food.

Photobucket

Message 13 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

Yes you soon learn not to go without & to take notice of the wobbles sweaty palms , headache & the feeling at all costs you must finish a job, sure signs you've got a hypo coming on, I've always when possible had a break at the same time each day, usually a peanut butter sandwich it works for me, & always have rolled oats for breakfast all year round no matter what the weathers like, I find for me that I don't have to eat between meals.

**********Sam**********
Message 14 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

dark chocolate still has loads of sugar.it is ok if you can just eat say 2 squares.

i like diabitic chocolate and sugar free jelly beans and they do not have that desired affect on me.

Message 15 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

I think a diabetic recipe thread - with tips - is a great idea.

Message 16 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

I'm in the middle of moving but as soon as I get straight & find em I've got some really nice modern recipes to share including puddings & really nice drinks err! I mean smoothies not alcohol . Oooh that reminds me certain alcohol can play havoc with your sugar levels .

**********Sam**********
Message 17 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

I drink red wine or gin and tonic, but not often.

Thanks for the offer of starting a thread, I would find that really useful as a reference.

Message 18 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

Sorry yes your correct about that & the quantity, most good sweet shops sell sugar free sweets now, I love the mint Humbugs& choc limes but keep it down to 3 a day. One firm called B**ts sells them but are very expensive. lol.

**********Sam**********
Message 19 of 77
See Most Recent

Type 2 Diabetes

Dry white wine is better. Try & take it with food it helps to even out the sugar rush.

**********Sam**********
Message 20 of 77
See Most Recent