Left-Handers

Given that one in ten of the population are left-handed, I just wondered who else on this site is left-handed and what everyday things cause you the most problems?

Message 1 of 28
See Most Recent
27 REPLIES 27

Left-Handers

hi i am left handed and i think we are the brainier people..

the things i struggle with most are scissors.(blades wrong way round and moulded handles)

being a cook sharp knives (cutting edge wrong way round.

and measureing jugs (weights and measures on wrong side of jug.)

.................................................................................................................
Running away from your problems is a race you will never win.
Message 2 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

i also use a notebook for work to write my to do lists in and if they have that big spirely ring down left hand side it gets in my way so i usually start at the back and upside down..

.................................................................................................................
Message 3 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

I'm really wierd!  Man LOL

I'm right-handed when I write or play golf, but I hit a hammer with my left hand, use a saw with my left, a scwrewdriver with my left, but use a spanner with my right hand, shoot a gun in my right hand, strum a guitar with my right, and yet I'm left-handed when firing a bow and arrow, or rifle, and when it comes to squaring up to somebody, I'll lead with my right and give somebody a left-hander! 

Message 4 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

im left-handed

i use  a straight blade knife if i can,

i use scissors with my right hand

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a breath, then count to ten, then breatheeeeeeeeeeeee out
Message 5 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

Another left-hander here! Scissors can be tricky, agreed.

Message 6 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

I think that's called being Ambidextrous ?.

**********Sam**********
Message 7 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

Yes, scissors are tricky for me too. I always had trouble with those old fashioned tin openers where you had to pierce the tin first. Was really pleased several years ago when my bank issued me with a left-handed cheque book; think its the only bank to do that. Smiley Happy

Yes, sounds like Fred is ambidextrous.

Message 8 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

I always loved to watch John Mcenroe play tennis and Jimmy Connors are they are left-handed. When I was at school there were only 2 of us out of the class of 32 that were lefties, so the teacher didnt have the time to teach us how to play.

Message 9 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

No, you and saasher are both wrong.  An ambidextrous pesron is somebody who is normally able to write with both hands, or is able to use either hand freely, but I certainly cannot write with my left hand.  Surely one of the most obvious disadvantages being left-handed is the fact that you cannot see the last lettter you wrote, unlike Arabic which reads from right to left.

You're right, scissors which have molded handles are another bane.

Althouch I can use a hammer with my right hand, there's every chance I'd miss and hit the wood!  Cricket is another sport which I'd stand "the wrong way round".  

Funniest of all was archery - I was a keen toxopholite - there's a new word for you to learn 😉 but I was the only one in the hall facing the other players who all laughed at me.  Because that put my back up, I showed them.  I was the only one to score three golds with three arrows.  They stopped laughing after that.   

Message 10 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

it is not just the handles on scissors but the blades are on the wrong way as with the cutting edge of sharp knives.

Message 11 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

Granddaughter is a leftie and school provide her with special scissors and unspirraled books , I am right handed for everything but darts which I throw with my left  ??

“I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh.”
Message 12 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

my mother was left handed, I have picked up some traits. I'm right handed but I pick a cup up with my left, I sew the wrong way round too.

she never learned to knit unti she was 60 when a woman she was in hospital with showed her how to do it....after that it was jumpers utd!!!!

Photobucket

Message 13 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

the only thing i really do right handed is

i lay the table with cutlery all left handed then eat right handed but as you eat with knife and fork who is to say who is right

does it take more skill to cut with the knife or to balance on fork and get to mouth????????

Message 14 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

I'm right handed and so is my mum but my dad's left handed and I am better at doing certain things with my left hand like texting.  If I pick Grace up, I can only hold her in my left arm.  It's odd isn't it?

Message 15 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

my  Granny was right handed, she taught me to knit by sitting opposite me

it was the only way she could do it   lol

i and my son are the only 'lefties' in my immediate relations,  not asked if their are others,  i have a lefthanded OH 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 16 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

You'd think that genes would play a part, but my maternal grandmother was LH, her daughter was LH, my sister was LH and my hubby is LH but both my children are RH!

My hubby uses tools right handed but cutlery he uses left handed.  If he played sport, which he doesn't, he'd hold a bat or golf club left handed.  Teachers tried to get him to write with his right hand when he was young, I think that's why his hand writing is atrocious! 

Message 17 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

I remember when I was about 5, my late Grandad used to shout at me and try to get me to write with my right hand, something you should never do to a leftie. I once had a job working in a hotel and when it was my turn to set the table, I put all the spoons the left-handed way, which to me was completely natural, and no-one had said anything before; when the hotel owner saw them she went mad and said left-handers shouldn't be allowed!

Message 18 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

when i was at  school we were still taught handwriting with an ink pen

there were 4 of us in the class , we had to sit together for that  lesson and often left with ink smudges on our  hands

luckily they had stopped trying to make kids write with only th right hand

Message 19 of 28
See Most Recent

Left-Handers

oh I remember those pens, they were wooden, and had the brass nib that you pushed in...we used to have to practice with them, it was hard to get proper writing with them, we were all pleased when we were given a biro each!!!

Photobucket

Message 20 of 28
See Most Recent