For pet owners and E-cig users

Have just read this sad news and wanted to raise awareness amongst pet owners who use E-cigs 

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Redruth-dog-dies-eating-e-cigarette-lighter-fuel/story-20642974-detail/s...

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

What about parents of small children? Doesn't this stuff come in flavours that would smell like sweets to kids? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intentions"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Good point Patch - I don't know much about them (life long non smoker) but if they come if flavours then yes they would be attractive to young kids and certainly a danger 

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

A friend of mine is giving up smoking and uses something that is cherry oil, huh! she inhales cherry oil. Makes her better at skittles mind.  Thanks for the heads up, but when I give up it will be cold turkey or something from the doctors,  I would hate to think about these e-cigs what they might be doing instead.  Most Doctors are against them as they are un tested.

Personally I would keep them away from animals and children.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Not too up on these but I saw them on ut ube, the liquid pen type you choose flavours and nicotine strengths, I can only presume that the poor animal got hold of the nicotine bottle probably a high strength, the owners obviously had no idea of the effects and dangers of ingesting nicitine in liquid form.

Surely there was a warning on the bottle or an accompanying leaflet?? 

It may have been a poor pup, but it could easily have been a toddler, but common sense should tell you that any chemicals should be kept out of reach of little mouths and little fingers.

You wouldn't leave a bottle of e.g. bleach lying around for an unkowing child or animal to get a hold of.

If there was no warning then, there jolly well should be!

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

@ed_blackadder_1 wrote:

I would hate to think about these e-cigs what they might be doing instead.  Most Doctors are against them as they are un tested.

What they aren't doing is giving off tar, carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide - all products of burning tobacco.  E-cigs don't burn anything.

Most doctors are actually for  them because people who use them have effectively stopped smoking.

The people who are against them are tobacco companies, manufacturers of stop-smoking products like nicotine gum and nicotine spray (who wish they'd thought of them first), and governments who tax tobacco - all these stand to lose a great deal of money.

The only downside is the nicotine liquid, which is poisonous if swallowed. (But then so is the nicotine solution in prescription nicotine sprays). I've always thought that sweet flavours are asking for trouble.

I've never smoked, but I wish these had been around for my parents, who both died of smoking related diseases.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

i have to say im puffing on my e-cig atm......... very low strength passion fruit.

my stuff is in my medicine cabinet.

it has been the only thing that has kept me off the cigarettes, ditto with my auntie who has severe damage done through smoking, she was nearly beside herself with trying to give up until these came along.

agree with you all about keeping any kind of products that could do harm well out of the way.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

I thought you could buy nicotine free ECigs now! But I agree they should be kept in a safe place, as I presume you do with cigs & matches. The flavours on offer are very tempting to a child,

**********Sam**********
Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

I would have thought the default position was that everything might be harmful unless it's specifically produced as an edible substance or you know it's safe and therefore should be kept out of the reach of small children or animals

Smiley Very HappyYou do'nt have to have oil based e-cigs the vapour ones are better 

Petal
Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent