💬 Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 17.08.22 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of kat@ebay , dave@ebay  and katie@ebay . Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, ProTrader, Fulfilment, Parts & Accessories, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

Please can someone explain how a customer can return a personalised item saying it is not as described, with the reason being the wording is too big? The item sent was exactly as pictured and exactly as described. This return was automatically accepted by eBay although I have automatic returns turned off. Policy says personalised items cannot be returned unless faulty.

I spoke to a representative about this when the item was first returned and they advised I would be fully covered for the item and told me to not refund and raise it with eBay again 2 days later.

I raised it today and was told im not covered and they buyer can return for “not described” even with me explaining the item is exactly as described.

I am now out of pocket and unable to resell this item due to being personalised.

When will ebay be on the side of the sellers?

And before you say yes they have been reported for this but this doesn’t help me in anyway shape or form.

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

A couple of weeks ago I reported some digitally delivered items (craft patterns). They are still live.

I know that ebay don't bother to do anything about illegal photocopies in this category, have they now decided that their other rules don't apply in this category either?

The best example I have (crafts category), was a 'private' seller making illegal copies to sell, stating the money was going to charity, but no charity ribbon logo, they also used digital delivery.

I reported for digital delivery - nothing done.

I reported for illegal photocopies - nothing done (and you have already said that ebay won't act on this).

I reported 'business seller has no contact details' (making to sell + business seller, even when the items they are making are illegal!) - nothing done.

I reported that under charity & fundraising: The listing offers to give the proceeds to charity, but doesn't follow eBay charity and fundraising policy guidelines .... yep, you've guessed, nothing done.

Still there, nearly 300 illegal copies, by a 'private' seller, stating money to charity and offering digital delivery.

Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

@kempseykate wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I reported some digitally delivered items (craft patterns). They are still live.

I know that ebay don't bother to do anything about illegal photocopies in this category, have they now decided that their other rules don't apply in this category either?

The best example I have (crafts category), was a 'private' seller making illegal copies to sell, stating the money was going to charity, but no charity ribbon logo, they also used digital delivery.

I reported for digital delivery - nothing done.

I reported for illegal photocopies - nothing done (and you have already said that ebay won't act on this).

I reported 'business seller has no contact details' (making to sell + business seller, even when the items they are making are illegal!) - nothing done.

I reported that under charity & fundraising: The listing offers to give the proceeds to charity, but doesn't follow eBay charity and fundraising policy guidelines .... yep, you've guessed, nothing done.

Still there, nearly 300 illegal copies, by a 'private' seller, stating money to charity and offering digital delivery.

Hi @kempseykate,

Copyright rules are held within our VeRO Programme. The copyright owner can register their ownership with us and we can take needed action. You can see more on VeRO here.

In regard to the charity listing please send me a PM of the username so I can review this.

Many thanks,

Katie 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

Thanks, Katie, just sent details  - but it's not only the charity issue, it's the digital deliveries and non-business registration.

Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

@kempseykate wrote:

Thanks, Katie, just sent details  - but it's not only the charity issue, it's the digital deliveries and non-business registration.

Thank you, appreciate it.

I'll look into it and our teams will take any needed action.

Many thanks,

Katie 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

@ak_craft_crazy wrote:

Please can someone explain how a customer can return a personalised item saying it is not as described, with the reason being the wording is too big? The item sent was exactly as pictured and exactly as described. This return was automatically accepted by eBay although I have automatic returns turned off. Policy says personalised items cannot be returned unless faulty.

I spoke to a representative about this when the item was first returned and they advised I would be fully covered for the item and told me to not refund and raise it with eBay again 2 days later.

I raised it today and was told im not covered and they buyer can return for “not described” even with me explaining the item is exactly as described.

I am now out of pocket and unable to resell this item due to being personalised.

When will ebay be on the side of the sellers?

And before you say yes they have been reported for this but this doesn’t help me in anyway shape or form.

Hi @ak_craft_crazy 

I cant see the details of the case here but a buyer cant return an item if they change their mind. They would be allowed to open a return if they feel the item is not as described. 

As you know you have the option to escalate the return to be manually reviewed. From there an agent will assess the case and make a decision on a case by case basis.

In some cases we can refund the buyer without any fault to the seller. The details of the resolution are visible in the case. 

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

Hi Dave,

I was not given the option to escalate. I was only given the option to refund in full or partial refund hence why i went for assistance to be told just refund them.

There was no case opened it was an automated return which i had no option to refuse or accept.

So now i am out of pocket.

It would be nice that we are given the option to accept or decline a return, and if the buyer wants to escalte this then they can. 

But to be forced to accept a return and be forced to refund a customer who has lied on their reason and anyone can see this is completlety out of order.

Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

New listing form again, I'm afraid. If you create saved listing templates using the old form, you can set "Does not apply" for ISBN or EAN in the template. If you create with the new listing form (or edit a saved template) then "Does not apply" can be entered and appears to have saved but it throws it back out without telling you. When you go to list using the template, the field is blank.

I raised this a few weeks ago but it's still not fixed. It wastes a lot of time when listing if you have to write it out on every listing. It has to be filled in for categories where it's compulsory so I can't just leave it blank. Records before the late 80s don't have an EAN so there's nothing else to put there. As you probably know, ISBN can't be entered for audio books (although most of them have one) due to the longstanding category error in ebay's catalogue data for virtually the whole of that category.

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

When I checked the items that i had bought in 'my purchases' some of  buys were missing although I have received them and payment appears in ebay commerce

Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

Just noticed, it also does the same to the Custom Label field.

Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

@ak_craft_crazy wrote:

Hi Dave,

I was not given the option to escalate. I was only given the option to refund in full or partial refund hence why i went for assistance to be told just refund them.

There was no case opened it was an automated return which i had no option to refuse or accept.

So now i am out of pocket.

It would be nice that we are given the option to accept or decline a return, and if the buyer wants to escalte this then they can. 

But to be forced to accept a return and be forced to refund a customer who has lied on their reason and anyone can see this is completlety out of order.

Hi @ak_craft_crazy 

It sounds like the system might have overridden your refund. if this happens there would be no fault on your side and there would be no option to escalate. 

If you want to DM me the case ID I'll have this looked into.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

@rainbowtrax wrote:

New listing form again, I'm afraid. If you create saved listing templates using the old form, you can set "Does not apply" for ISBN or EAN in the template. If you create with the new listing form (or edit a saved template) then "Does not apply" can be entered and appears to have saved but it throws it back out without telling you. When you go to list using the template, the field is blank.

I raised this a few weeks ago but it's still not fixed. It wastes a lot of time when listing if you have to write it out on every listing. It has to be filled in for categories where it's compulsory so I can't just leave it blank. Records before the late 80s don't have an EAN so there's nothing else to put there. As you probably know, ISBN can't be entered for audio books (although most of them have one) due to the longstanding category error in ebay's catalogue data for virtually the whole of that category.

Hi @rainbowtrax,

This sounds to me like it may be as designed due to that information being very specific to an individual listing however I'd need to look into further to be sure. Could you tag Dave and I in your original thread on this and we can continue to discuss.

Thanks,

Katie

eBay
Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

@brianj60 wrote:

When I checked the items that i had bought in 'my purchases' some of  buys were missing although I have received them and payment appears in ebay commerce

Hi @brianj60 

Thanks for reaching out. 

You might have some items hidden or filtered. At the top of the order page you should have a dropdown on the left that says Not hidden or Show hidden items, if you change it do the items appear?

daveebay_0-1660750015100.png

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.