Authenticator didn't do their job

I've recently purchased an item which was covered by eBays authenticity garuntee.  Went to the authentiactor who supposedly authenticated it, only to recieve it today whereupon it clearly didn't match the listing.

What's the point of this service if the individuals doing it don't do their job.  Even the most basic of checks not completed so you have to wonder if the more detailed checks are even done.Listing.jpg20240113_134738.jpg20240113_134724.jpg

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

plum993
Experienced Mentor

Clearly the item does not match the sellers description,so you are covered by the ebay money back guarantee and can return them.

Authenticity Guarantee for Sneakers | eBay.co.uk

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

I don't know how this authentication service works but they may not see the listing. They are probably authenticating that they really are genuine Nike Air Max 90 rather than knockoffs.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

According to the authenticity process they should compare to the listing as well!

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that but then again I'm unlikely to ever be in a position to use the authentication service. If I had trainers to sell they wouldn't be of a value that would need the service of an authenticator, also I would have been using them so long they would be falling off my feet and nobody in their right mind would want them.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

I sadly have experience with this.

It seems that the scheme was rushed together, eBay knew they were dropping behind stockX and GOAT as they didnt act on the reports on sellers selling fake shoes and used the line sorry we don't get to see it so we cant stop them selling. They then brought in AG which was great and was only really used for a handful of shoes and it worked great.

They have now expanded it to included so many shoes that will never be faked because the market for them isnt big enough for some factory in China to create some Pegasus 37's when they can produce some Air Max 1's or yeezys for the same price. This has now turned into an issue as eBay cant get hold of enough people with the expertise to actually check stuff so the quality of the service is dropping, I'm sick of getting shoes back that have been worn and then having to complain to eBay about it.

DO NOT cut the tag or anything, don't just open a return, phone them and speak to the Authentication department (they are all Irish) so they can leave notes saying you have been sent the wrong size, just opening a return without contacting them even with leaving the tag on might cause another issue which isnt worth the hassle for a phone call. You'll get your funds back its just annoying that the seller listed them incorrectly and then AG missed it.

Leave appropriate feedback once you get refunded too so others know the seller done wrong. Also best to look for people correctly registered as they normally spend more time making sure everything is correct.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: