how to contact ebay to enforce a warranty advertised by a seller

I bought a kitchen tap in September 2020, from a seller 'posting from London', but obviously China based. Initially the tap was fine, but it developed a fault that could not be repaired by a plumber visit (it just spins on it's mounting as it has broken form the central spindle)

Contacting the seller is exasperating - they ask loads of questions, on which I have answered all, even sending photos, but it takes 24 hours for each response with the time difference! It is advertised with a 5 year warranty, even though it's now only months old.

Have I just thrown £50 down the drain or is there a way to get Ebay to intervene? (all links to PayPal and Ebay have now disapperead from the purchase listing)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

Have I just thrown £50 down the drain or is there a way to get Ebay to intervene?

No, I'm afraid there isn't. EBay own money back guarantee only lasts for 30 days from delivery. They won't get involved in warranties.

PayPal buyer protection lasts longer, for 180 days, but only covers non-delivery or faults present on delivery, not problems that develop in use.

If the seller is in China you won't have any UK statutory consumer rights either.

Buying from unknown sellers online is risky, especially from China. EBay isn't like the shops.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Originally it was fine.

Then it broke.

The seller ignores me.

Any enforcement of any warranty is between a buyer and a seller..eBay don't get involved with warranties of any description.

You can lodge a claim with PayPal but again they may not get involved with a warranty claim for a itém which worked when purchased.

Had you bought this from B&Q you could have turned off the water, taken off the tap and nipped down to the store for a replacement.

You have to consider the inconvenience now if the seller says send it back..You will have to pay for the return and wait for a replacement.

There is nothing you can do via ebay or paypal as they don't get involved in guarantees or warranty issues.

It's pointless trying to pursue this if the seller is based overseas,there is nothing you can do apart from learn from it.

If you want a valid warranty/guarantee then it's safer to buy from the high street to cover yourself.

Unfortunately there is no way to make eBay enforce a warranty offered by the seller.  The problem with warranties offered for products purchased on eBay is that they're not worth the paper they're written on, as you have no way of being able to enforce it.  Therefore, if you wish to buy a product that comes with a warranty, then the best option would be to purchase the item from a reputable high street retailer so that if the item fails before the guarantee runs out you can either get the item repaired or replaced.  eBay don't get involved with warranties for goods sold on their site, so there is no way to enforce the warranty for the product you bought.

Although you're well out of time to open an eBay case you could try opening a PayPal case in relation to the item, although given the fact that this is an issue relating to a warranty they may decide that they can't issue you with a refund, as PayPal don't get involved in warranties either.  However, at this stage you've got nothing to lose by trying, so try opening a PayPal case and see whether you can get a refund via PayPal.  If you don't get a refund then you're no worse off than you are at present, but if PayPal decide to refund your money then at least you can spend the money on sourcing a decent replacement item from a proper high street company that will provide you with a guarantee for the item they sold you.

Ebay and PayPal can't help you with items which develop faults in use, as they can have no idea who is at fault - the seller for supplying substandard goods, or the buyer  for misusing the item (or the installer for badly installing). Ebay and PayPal (or any payment processor) can only help with items which you can see are damaged, faulty, or not as described ON RECEIPT, as they have to be returned in the exact same condition as when received.

Items which fail under warranty are between you and the seller to resolve, or Small Claims court if the seller is in the UK and proves to be unhelpful. If the seller is not in the UK, there is nothing you can do, I'm afraid.  However, if they have a UK presence, as appears to be the case from what you say, go to the CAB's website for further advice.

@stephenbuy
@95ardenfield

Open a paypal claim you have 180 days from purchase.Ebay only offer 30 day refund policy