how to contact ebay to enforce a warranty advertised by a seller

I bought a kitchen tap in September 2020, from a seller 'posting from London', but obviously China based. Initially the tap was fine, but it developed a fault that could not be repaired by a plumber visit (it just spins on it's mounting as it has broken form the central spindle)

Contacting the seller is exasperating - they ask loads of questions, on which I have answered all, even sending photos, but it takes 24 hours for each response with the time difference! It is advertised with a 5 year warranty, even though it's now only months old.

Have I just thrown £50 down the drain or is there a way to get Ebay to intervene? (all links to PayPal and Ebay have now disapperead from the purchase listing)

View Entire Topic
red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

Have I just thrown £50 down the drain or is there a way to get Ebay to intervene?

No, I'm afraid there isn't. EBay own money back guarantee only lasts for 30 days from delivery. They won't get involved in warranties.

PayPal buyer protection lasts longer, for 180 days, but only covers non-delivery or faults present on delivery, not problems that develop in use.

If the seller is in China you won't have any UK statutory consumer rights either.

Buying from unknown sellers online is risky, especially from China. EBay isn't like the shops.