Do you have to go through the Ebay returns option or can you contact seller & arrange yourself?

I have recently returned two items on Ebay to sellers that accept returns. However, this time the screen layout seemed to be different and I also had to log into PayPal as part of the process for postage label payment. I was charged £3.25 per parcel for a Royal Mail tracked 48 service, I know that I could have posted one of these items for less than half that price (classed as a large letter) if I'd sorted out the postage myself.  I went through purchase history>return this item.

What is the best way to return items, is it acceptable to just contact the seller and sort it out between yourselves or do you have to go through the more costly Ebay reurns process? 

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

tara*teller
Conversationalist

Hello

I know exactly where you're coming from here, the system is a bit one way or no way and it doesn't always work out well for the buyer when returning!  small point to note too that if the seller is UK based and the item is faulty then it's the seller who pays to have the item back but for change of mind or item not fitting or something like then it's the buyer who pays.

You can do it between yourselves but some sellers prefer to use the eBay returns process as it then makes a record of the return and there's no chance of any doubt as to what happened regarding the refund.

My advice would be to contact the seller first and ask how they wish to handle the return, some will be fine with that.

If you need to send an item back again, log into the item you purchased and complete the return item form.

You mention "eBay to sellers that accept returns!". if the item was not as described, damaged, faulty then rememebr ALL ITEMS can be returned at the sellers expence. However if you simply changed your mind or the item didnt fit, then of course you should pay to return it.

I would Always recommend goin thorugh eBay.

But ultiatmelty speak to the sellers first ask them, if they agree, make sure you have tracking and get it returned in the condition it was sent to you.

here is a link that might also help. https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item?id=4041