RETURNS for fashion/clothing retailers (but other categories please chime in)

This post has been on my mind for a while. I'd love an open discussion.

My returns rate is currently a shocking 13.8%. It has climbed steadily from 9-10% over the last 3 years. Prior to COVID I had been at under 10% for years. This coincides with a drive by me to raise my prices above the £100+ mark and I have also started tagging. I think my price increase makes people more likely to return but I wonder if there are other factors I am missing?

Some thoughts to set the ball rolling:

1. An extremely informative ebay pro-trader rep advised that it was the tagging that was probably the problem (she reckoned it put the idea of returning into peoples head as soon as they saw the item. It also suggested returning to people who might not know this is possible on ebay). However, I have taken returns on items that have definitely been worn and i want to stop this.

2. As an aside, a friend of mine who works in third sector with very economically challenged women has advised me her 'clientele' will regularly buy on ebay to return after wearing. 

3. @bravergrace said on a different thread that he found it insulting to tag his items. I wonder what people think about this? I agree I am uncomfortable tagging. I am also uncomfortable having items returns smelling of perfume.

4. Another seller (sorry I forget who) mentioned that I might do better using bullet points on my listings to make measurements easier to spot. I don't think this is the problem - but happy to hear opinions?

5. I would love to know if 13% is average for clothing sellers (especially pre-loved). Are people prepared to disclose their figures?

6. I have very few SNADS. I wonder if tagging stops SNADS but increases 'doesnt fit' returns.

7. I gift box and include a personal note with all of my sales to try and be nice - but also vaguely 'guilt trip'  buyers and get them to see I am a real person not a huge business. This definitely used to work - in my opinion - I'm not sure it does now. I buy online from charities. Two years ago, when something sold, I never saw it again. Now if something sells and I wanted it... I look out for it again... so I know returns to even charities has risen hugely.

8. An increasing number of people buy more than one item and seem to expect to return some. I think this is a trend. What do other people think?

I'd love a professional and constructive debate.

Message 1 of 53
See Most Recent
52 REPLIES 52

My return rate is 4.08%, obviously different categories as I'd say majority of my buyers are either buying another pair of the same shoe or most already know how that silhouette fits and just trying a different colour. Majority of the 4% will just be doesnt fit but I think those will also include they dont like it but its easier to just say they dont fit.

With regards to sizing, I have a picture with all sizes (US, EU, CM) and its mentions in the item description, along with its buy it now only so no offers, my 2 most frequently asked questions are what is the EU size or will you take offers, I honestly dont think many read the item description, eBay have made it badly placed for the buyer so they just message instead. Might be good to try for a couple of weeks worth of listings with the bullet points and see if they are getting returns at the same rate, not sure how many you list a day but obviously it needs to be enough to make an educated guess on.

Tagging I think all depends on what the tag looks like, if it looks professional then thats fine, for me it needs to look like its a tag thats on in a store, that way people will just think you have a brick and mortar store too so its not just to make sure they dont try on and return.

Buy now pay in 60 days introduction is the reason behind buying 5 things and returning 4, with the introduction of free postage and return to store it means people just buy whatever they want and then return it, they dont think it costs money but really its all just added into the price of anything they do keep.

I still think people like the 'small business touch' I send a message when I ship an item direct to the customer and often get a thank you back but I also believe if they could get it £1 cheaper from somewhere else theyd do it, as your stuff is more one off it might be a good way to get return customers.

Message 2 of 53
See Most Recent

I am breaking my self imposed exile from posting to chime in with a couple of points:

I honestly think you're better off scrapping the measurements in the description and just flat laying with pit to pit and shoulder to hem measurements pictured so they are shown clearly with a tape measure. The visual cue might make a buyer go and get a tape measure themselves on their favourite garment and compare it before buying. This sounds a bit snobbish but I honestly think many buyers see them in the description and it doesn't translate to an understanding. If you were going to keep them stated in the description then I agree, bullet point them.

Because you sell higher value items I think you suffer from a lot of remorse returns tied to people's economic situation. Someone buying a nice coat from you on payday is more likely to get the itch to return it once they have worn it and got a few good pictures out in it for Instagram, as the next rent or mortgage payment starts to loom on the horizon a few weeks later and the novelty has worn off. 

I'm interested to hear what other people think too as 13.8% returns seems really high. Logically I would have thought eBay would punish you for it with lower visibility on your items but clearly you don't seem to have that problem. I always found in the past that a returned item meant no sales for a while but perhaps that was always a coincidence or me being eBay paranoid.

Message 3 of 53
See Most Recent

@pg_kicks wrote:

Tagging I think all depends on what the tag looks like, if it looks professional then thats fine, for me it needs to look like its a tag thats on in a store, that way people will just think you have a brick and mortar store too so its not just to make sure they dont try on and return.

My tags are very clearly not professional 😋

On new listings since tagging I actually photograph the tag and include by about photo 5 - to try and dissuade the 'borrowers' from.... borrowing.

I think the photo is non-insulting. But yeah, after buying, the tag might feel a bit... pointed.

I am busy on a non-ebay project for the next 3 months. I am actually experimenting over this period with NOT tagging but leaving the warning in the listings that have it (and new listings). 

Message 4 of 53
See Most Recent

@technthread wrote:

I am breaking my self imposed exile from posting to chime in with a couple of points:

Thank you. Very much appreciated as I was suspecting this is a weakness in my business.

I honestly think you're better off scrapping the measurements in the description and just flat laying with pit to pit and shoulder to hem measurements pictured so they are shown clearly with a tape measure. The visual cue might make a buyer go and get a tape measure themselves on their favourite garment and compare it before buying. This sounds a bit snobbish but I honestly think many buyers see them in the description and it doesn't translate to an understanding. If you were going to keep them stated in the description then I agree, bullet point them.

I agree photo measurements are better. Slight laziness on my side. I already photograph with two cameras (to get different types of shots) and usually take 40 on each item (to select 24). Photographing is where I allow the most time and - get it right - brings in the best sales. I agree. I should include visual measurements. I automatically do this with bags (using a can of coke etc). So I should have been doing it with tape on clothes. Cheers.

Because you sell higher value items I think you suffer from a lot of remorse returns tied to people's economic situation. Someone buying a nice coat from you on payday is more likely to get the itch to return it once they have worn it and got a few good pictures out in it for Instagram, as the next rent or mortgage payment starts to loom on the horizon a few weeks later and the novelty has worn off. 

I totally agree and exactly my reason for tagging... I am really in two minds about my 3 months non-tagging experioment. However as my rate is already abysmally high WITH tagging I have to try something...

I wonder if possibly, when people wear an item, my 'nice approach' (handwritten letter etc) will make them slow to hit the return button. Whereas if they can't wear it, the 'insult' over the tag will have them hitting return with no qualms.

I'm interested to hear what other people think too as 13.8% returns seems really high. Logically I would have thought eBay would punish you for it with lower visibility on your items but clearly you don't seem to have that problem. I always found in the past that a returned item meant no sales for a while but perhaps that was always a coincidence or me being eBay paranoid.

Absolutely not! Whilst I hate returns - I know that one sale on the item can help. I sold an aquascutum coat (discounted to £329) 4 times in quick succession. The time it stayed was my introduction of tagging incidentally. (It was previously returned screwed up in a binbag). It was success with this item that led to the introduction of tagging - that was in Christmas 2022 ie 15 months ago.

Message 5 of 53
See Most Recent

@technthread wrote:

I'm interested to hear what other people think too as 13.8% returns seems really high. Logically I would have thought eBay would punish you for it with lower visibility on your items but clearly you don't seem to have that problem. 

I just thought... I think this only applies for SNADS. As I say - by giving people a very clear option for 'doesnt fit' - I possibly reduce SNADS. Maybe.

Message 6 of 53
See Most Recent

An "other" category here, my returns are 1.2% which is very low but 18 months ago I was enjoying returns of less than 0.5%!

Predominantly my returns are where a buyer has not read the description fully or studied the pictures, I put all of my measurements in the pictures.

I think we are living in an incredibly fast changing world. I read a lot of business, "Self-Help" and health books and we are more unfocussed, impatient, impulsive, distracted and "busy" than ever and it is escalating to the point of it being a serious problem. 

I worked in retail for 14 years and left 6 years ago now, but even then towards the end returns rates on products were getting worse and worse progressively each year. Not only that, customers would walk past the product they wanted and frantically and and in an unfocussed way, semi-on their phones make their way around the shop and in a huff ask for help finding it despite the fact it was right next to them the whole time.

In this world returns are going to increase unfortunately and it has got to the point where some fashion retailers are charging for returns now.

I don't shop for clothes that often, I don't think I've bought anything in over a year! But for me, the hand written letter in with the item would better than a tag I think. A tag almost feels business-like whereas a letter makes you feel you've supported an individual and are making a difference for someones life rather than supporting some sort of corporation.

My approach would be possibly to try and play with the content of that letter. If I had a letter that said thank you, you've helped support my little business and the money I make helps to support my young family and I really appreciate you chosing to shop with me... I'd feel more of a connection to that inanimate object and feel I have made a bit of a difference and I wouldn't return. (Just an example)

Message 7 of 53
See Most Recent

@vintagewatchpart wrote:

My approach would be possibly to try and play with the content of that letter. If I had a letter that said thank you, you've helped support my little business and the money I make helps to support my young family and I really appreciate you chosing to shop with me... I'd feel more of a connection to that inanimate object and feel I have made a bit of a difference and I wouldn't return. (Just an example)

Good idea thank you. My mum writes them for me in little old lady writing 😄

Message 8 of 53
See Most Recent

@sheba-knows-best wrote:

@technthread wrote:

I'm interested to hear what other people think too as 13.8% returns seems really high. Logically I would have thought eBay would punish you for it with lower visibility on your items but clearly you don't seem to have that problem. 

I just thought... I think this only applies for SNADS. As I say - by giving people a very clear option for 'doesnt fit' - I possibly reduce SNADS. Maybe.

I assume that if eBay can count something, they incorporate it in their Seller Punishment Scheme or in the Undesirable Seller Invisibility Algorithm.  There are lots of things that don't theoretically affect visibility - except that we know they do, such as SNAD returns, Out Of Stock cancellations or poor feedback, even when these are isolated annual events and nowhere near the punishment level, and even after they have been removed.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 9 of 53
See Most Recent

Hi Sheba.  I would address your comments point by point.

My current returns rate is 10.03%.  It has been as high as approaching 15%.  I sell occasion clothing/accessories so not only do they have to fit, they have to match!  I keep my prices as low as I dare to help prevent returns.  To try and stop 'wardrobing'  I don't actually tag, but do say in the description that all my items are tagged and these must not have been removed.

1.  I too have taken back suspicious returns, but accept as I don't want 'item not as described' thrown at me compounding the expense of the return.

2. People who buy with the intent of returning after wearing are going to do that anyway, I don't believe the thought has to be put in their head.

3. It is insulting to tag items as the customers are specific.   I make the statement about tags in the description as a it applies to unspecified individuals.

4. I try to be concise with measurements, omitting as much 'blurb' (such as AI listings) as possible. People still ask for measurements that are clearly stated in the description though.

5. My returns figure is as above, but I believe around 13% to be a reasonable average for pre-worn clothing. Over the years I have varied between 10% low and approaching 15% 

6. Very low on the SNADS too.  Most common doesn't fit/doesn't match

7. Vinted has replaced charities for me - very hit and miss but as I said in another post I'm a retired needlework/craft teacher so have the skills to repair.  I do not include a note or small gift, but I do use the best packaging I can, including crispy tissue paper and polythene bags. I also use K size padded envelopes to post (not plastic mailers).

8. Yes I often get 'double' orders - a lot of times though the customers do ask first.  Carefully packing, under 2KG, usually means I'm only down one postage charge

There are some great posts on here with good advice.  I did though think it better to reply to Sheba direct point by point first. 

Thank you to everyone else for their great contributions, and to Sheba for starting a very useful and informative thread.

Message 10 of 53
See Most Recent

@sheba-knows-best 

I sit in another category, and our current returns rate is 0.23%. - I will come to this in a minute, as I think this has more to do with your sector than anything else (personally).

I think the clothing sector itself on the whole has a wider problem.  As a society we have become far too lazy to goto a shop (hence in part why retailers have failed and high streets are empty) and buying online has made things far too easy. Over the past few years this hasn't been helped by the big guns of ASOS, M & S etc offering free returns on their clothing. People assume that they can 'abuse' the returns systems with these retailers here with smaller independents on ebay and I am sure the same on other platforms. (?)

As an example we have a regular customer at our PO, who must be the "returns queen" I use that phrase sparingly as it is blatant that this person returns at least three large bundles of clothing a day to various retailers, and even admitted one day that they had stopped buying with a certain retailer as they refused any more pre paid returns from them. So I think you probably have a point that multiple purchases are made and a buyer then decides what they want to keep, but end up abusing the returns system. 

Also as previously mentioned buyers can be lazy - they see a picture and they see a title and think oh great and don't bother to read the description, but thats not helped on ebay with all the promoted ads that appear around what is YOUR listing, that you pay for.

With regards to tagging, what is or are on your tags do you somehow barcode them? I am not sure tagging is perhaps the way forward, as people end up with the perception that instead of being a small online independent you are part of something bigger etc. However I believe the hand written note is always something that so many sellers overlook.

With all of our orders we always include the packing slip/invoice with a hand written note. Something simple like "thank you for your purchase, your custom is much appreciated, best wishes etc." Or perhaps you could think about something like going to vista print and getting a "load of postcard sized flyers (A6) with something like thank you for your order and a small amount of blurb about you, or the fact that they have bought something that has helped the planet by buying pre loved and to support your vision of this then you don't want it returned! (can't think of suitable wording but I hope you understand where I am coming from!) Perhaps that message would deter buyers, or at least make them think twice. Then hand sign the card.

From our side our returns are like @vintagewatchpart  says largely from people not reading descriptions, where we would state if there is a fault with an item etc. In those instances we generally remind people of this. A lot of the time its about interaction, if the buyer is "rude" with I want a return, (no please or thank you) we are less likely to be cooperative. However if  a Buyer says hi, sorry but I made a mistake or this isn't right what can we do to sort matters out, then we will always bend over backwards be it part refund etc/return. - Those buyers usually turn out to be repeat customers as they know we will make good any errors on our part, which after all, we are all human and we do make them!

I will leave you with this quote I saw the other day by Edward Whitacre Jr, 

Be willing to step outside your comfort zone once in a while; take the risks in life that seem worth taking. The ride might not be as predictable if you'd just planted your feet and stayed put, but it will be a heck of a lot more interesting.”

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 11 of 53
See Most Recent

@tommystrezures wrote:

@sheba-knows-best 

I think the clothing sector itself on the whole has a wider problem.  As a society we have become far too lazy to goto a shop (hence in part why retailers have failed and high streets are empty) and buying online has made things far too easy.

I'm not sure about the "lazy" aspect.

I don't think actual shops have helped themselves in this.

I went shopping recently for two men's white shirts (one cotton, one linen).   Money no object, had to be the right size.

I went to 10 menswear shops and 3 big supermarkets that do clothes, including:

- Next

- John Lewis

- M&S

- Moss Bros

- Charles Tyrwhitt

- H&M

None of the shops had both shirts in stock in my size.  The first 8 didn't have either one.

Very few allow customers to try formal shirts on.  You can only try on a "sizing" shirt (in a different cut and style) to check you've got the right collar size.

Most of the shops seem to run a system of only stocking a few sizes, and telling customers to order the stuff online instead and send it back if it didn't fit.  Judging by the queues at the online returns points, this system wasn't working very well either.

The ones I tried to order online were also out of stock in my size.

Seriously, stock levels in real shops and online shops, are so low, and product ranges are so small, that the chances of seeing something, being able to try it on and take it home are close to zero.

In a few years, we'll go to a clothing shop and be told "This is our summer dress.  It comes in blue or yellow.  And this is our swimwear range - we stock two designs (male and female), each in 3 sizes if you're lucky."

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 12 of 53
See Most Recent

That's fair comment too, I had a similar experience last summer trying to buy a shirt for my brothers wedding. I wanted an 18 inch collar and all the retailers I went to in Kendal no joy! If you 17 inch or under we would love your business, it was similar on line too.

I think I ended up at matalan in the end but that had to be ordered for next day delivery to the shop! 

I wonder if we will see an upturn in similar in the months to come of posts here from the private sellers now that listing clothes is free of the system being 'abused'....

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 13 of 53
See Most Recent

Not selling clothing

I think there will always be buyers who as @tommystrezures calls them 'return queens'  or perfume ladies, what do you, block? Maybe a 1/2/3 strike rulle? 1 if its blatant, 3 if its someone inconsiderate? Blocking if its obvious the buyer is making multiple purchases only to return.  

Outsiders observation, online clothing on many platforms and retail online its the norm/expected, see one platform is doing try before you buy. It is an issue guessing be proactive on reducing is the key as it seems common place these days

Maybe look at the retail business world and see if/what they do to try and reduce/control, Surprised if G&&gle doesnt have news interviews with fashion retailers on the issue.  Did see it once on BBC business news but the videos would have been taken down. You Tube? normally has an opinion

If I am in communication with a buyer who's 50/50 I always 'reassure' with Free returns but kindly ask them to be considerate of the service and it does include a cost. 

Depends on the sellers view, could the issue be courteously and professionally raised in your description, highlighting the issue for you as a small business asking for the buyer to be confident in thier purchase but considerate to you as a small business, some it will wash over their heads, just dont care, but some it may resonate, theres also the green issue of returns, the youth of today will love that (your doing your bit)  I dont think you use templates? Sorry if you do but you can prepare for each listing the same old spiel

In our templates our spiel categories are 

Delivery - Same for everything Dispatch time, services offered blah blah

Item Specific (you adapt according to the listing, item,description,condition report)

About the business - Same for every listing, who, where you are lavish up the good points and the green of your business, rosey up your business

Post Packing Returns - Same for every listing, C&C, Recycling, Returns

Any Questions - Try and get comms going

Think looking at what the retailers do would certainly help

Good luck, must be a nightmare, soo frustrating, and play up on all the green issues you can, returns arent green (some care) 

Message 14 of 53
See Most Recent

I sell jewellery and rarely get returns.   This account has one return, from last October - and it was bought by mistake, item returned and the correct item bought.  

We occasionally get a ring or bracelet back,  you have to try on a ring to be sure it not only fits but 'looks right'.  Same with bracelets.  Other half has been selling for about 15 years and has never had a return and never had a SNAD - so its definitely down to what you are selling.

I had averaged one or two returns a year - being over 20 years and over 20k items sold no issues, until just before .   I have one account with 5.69% returns - one order of 17 pieces, bought before Christmas and returned in January.  Every single one returned - the buyer had been a some sort of shopping spree and, judging from the feedback, has bought and returned hundreds of items, not even keeping some, big orders and every item returned, to a large number of sellers.     One order, invoiced with combined postage.  Unfortunately every return was done separately, so instead of being counted as one return, it was counted as 17.   So if change of mind returns affect any visibility or anything else, grossly unfair.   On the other hand she paid for seventeen tracked labels to return everything - and tracked postage to boot. 

I buy most of my clothes on eBay (well, with a coat fetish AND trawling through eBay charity shops every day for jewellery you come across some amazing stuff) - never sent one item back.   Though I buy cheap - so it could well be the value.

I still remember Freeman's catalogue, bought tons of stuff in more than one size, sent tons back, free postage, as did everybody - it was encouraged by Freemans and so easy to do - am I being naive thinking that it wasn't the done thing though to wear and return?  And we used to use M&S as a bank, on payday buy something downstairs in the Eldon Square shop, pay by cheque, and go straight up and return it to get your money back in cash - in the days before ATMs.  Didn't even take it out of the bag.

I box absolutely everything and I'm a huge fan of the personal note - pain in the backside if we have a good run of sales, but we even send Christmas cards in December.  I've done if from day one and must say I'm shocked that so many folk express appreciated.  I get cards back, letter sometimes, and wouldn't think of stopping.    I think people really appreciate the personal tough.  How are you 'guilt tripping?'

So, as I don't do anything different, but also don't sell much that needs to fit,  its not a universal problem.  I'd suggest giving actual sizes would be important - if people checked sizing or even read it properly!  And I'd agree, there is an issue of 'borrowing'.  I once set a very curt email to a famous photographer who had written a blog promoting eBay - as a grand place to buy stuff, use as props, and return.

Best of luck with your other project!!!

Message 15 of 53
See Most Recent

@brindsey wrote:

Hi Sheba.  I would address your comments point by point.

My current returns rate is 10.03%.  It has been as high as approaching 15%.  I sell occasion clothing/accessories so not only do they have to fit, they have to match!  I keep my prices as low as I dare to help prevent returns. 

Not to advise... I'm grateful you're advising me!... However this is an unusual approach if you want to maximise sales income. The usual approach is drive your selling price as high as you can to cover the price of returns. As an example (albeit too simple).

You have four dresses.

Sell three at £60. One is returned. You make £115 (less five postageon return). And have potential stock of £60 remaining.

Sell four dresses at £30. None are returned. You make £120. Have potential stock of £0.

Just food for thought... I suspect you're not halving your possible price... but still....

To try and stop 'wardrobing'  I don't actually tag, but do say in the description that all my items are tagged and these must not have been removed.

That's what I'm trying now. Thanks so much for the feedback!

1.  I too have taken back suspicious returns, but accept as I don't want 'item not as described' thrown at me compounding the expense of the return.

As TRS if i can prove it is incorrect SNAD, I do a partial discuss (I never overpush the % i dont refund) report buyer and block. I have never had a NEG come out of it. I think ebay must stop this.

2. People who buy with the intent of returning after wearing are going to do that anyway, I don't believe the thought has to be put in their head.

3. It is insulting to tag items as the customers are specific.   I make the statement about tags in the description as a it applies to unspecified individuals. I do agree. It has sat uncomfortably with me.

4. I try to be concise with measurements, omitting as much 'blurb' (such as AI listings) as possible. People still ask for measurements that are clearly stated in the description though. Yup always. Which is why I like the idea of tape measure. USing the app myself, it is hard to find seller description. But you cant miss photos. I'm considering a photo with words ie "Label size 12 but fits llike a 10'. I could have a few in stock and just apply the one that works....

5. My returns figure is as above, but I believe around 13% to be a reasonable average for pre-worn clothing. Over the years I have varied between 10% low and approaching 15% > good for you with 10%. I'd dream of that now. Someone on the boards in preloved dresses years ago admitted to 30% once (I was at about 8% so dint pay much attention. I wish I had nw)

6. Very low on the SNADS too.  Most common doesn't fit/doesn't match

7. Vinted has replaced charities for me - very hit and miss but as I said in another post I'm a retired needlework/craft teacher so have the skills to repair.  I do not include a note or small gift, but I do use the best packaging I can, including crispy tissue paper and polythene bags. I also use K size padded envelopes to post (not plastic mailers). I used to do that - but have eased up to be sustainable (from ethics and because I think my buyers may prefer that), not sure if the cheaper packaging changes returns rates....

8. Yes I often get 'double' orders - a lot of times though the customers do ask first.  Carefully packing, under 2KG, usually means I'm only down one postage charge

There are some great posts on here with good advice.  I did though think it better to reply to Sheba direct point by point first. 

Thank you to everyone else for their great contributions, and to Sheba for starting a very useful and informative thread.

Thanks to you too xxx

Message 16 of 53
See Most Recent

@tommystrezures wrote:

@sheba-knows-best 

With regards to tagging, what is or are on your tags do you somehow barcode them? I am not sure tagging is perhaps the way forward, as people end up with the perception that instead of being a small online independent you are part of something bigger etc. However I believe the hand written note is always something that so many sellers overlook.

My tags are deliberately handmade/cute - so people  wouldn't see me as a business - they're clearly failing with the effect I want

With all of our orders we always include the packing slip/invoice with a hand written note. Something simple like "thank you for your purchase, your custom is much appreciated, best wishes etc." Or perhaps you could think about something like going to vista print and getting a "load of postcard sized flyers (A6) with something like thank you for your order and a small amount of blurb about you, or the fact that they have bought something that has helped the planet by buying pre loved and to support your vision of this then you don't want it returned! (can't think of suitable wording but I hope you understand where I am coming from!) Perhaps that message would deter buyers, or at least make them think twice. Then hand sign the card.

I agree. I am going to stick to handsigned thank you card - but knock up a flyer about my business ethics and sustainability to add as well. I;ve been meaning to use the ebay newsletter for this to drum up sales but as ever this is so much to do and so little time. Cheers for your thoughts x

Message 17 of 53
See Most Recent

@fatbobfan wrote:

Good luck, must be a nightmare, soo frustrating, and play up on all the green issues you can, returns arent green (some care) 

Thank you. I will add green issues to my flyer. And you're right I should google to see how others cope. I know that 'Whatnot' who tried to recruit me, allow returns, but they take them ie the selling platform, NOT the seller deals with the returns. So it shows that selling platforms are aware that this is a growing issue for small sellers and removing the problem is a draw.... 

Message 18 of 53
See Most Recent

That made me laugh! Using M&S as a bank! The games we played... not that I ever did. You must have been a high earner! Back then my wages came in cash in brown envelopes at the end of each week. Those were the days...

Message 19 of 53
See Most Recent

I see the big river can ban people who return items on a regular bsis.

Unsure if eBay do this, or down to the seller to block.

"Does Amazon ban customers for too many returns?

If you return a lot of items to Amazon, you may receive a warning from Amazon reminding you of the store's return policies and the retailer's ability to limit or ban your account at their discretion."

Oddly I get more returns through the website.

Currently on 0.0% returns here for Feb - Mar 2024 and none since.
But when they do return its usually because they have not read the description.

Astronomy is looking up
Message 20 of 53
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: