RETURNS for fashion/clothing retailers (but other categories please chime in)

This post has been on my mind for a while. I'd love an open discussion.

My returns rate is currently a shocking 13.8%. It has climbed steadily from 9-10% over the last 3 years. Prior to COVID I had been at under 10% for years. This coincides with a drive by me to raise my prices above the £100+ mark and I have also started tagging. I think my price increase makes people more likely to return but I wonder if there are other factors I am missing?

Some thoughts to set the ball rolling:

1. An extremely informative ebay pro-trader rep advised that it was the tagging that was probably the problem (she reckoned it put the idea of returning into peoples head as soon as they saw the item. It also suggested returning to people who might not know this is possible on ebay). However, I have taken returns on items that have definitely been worn and i want to stop this.

2. As an aside, a friend of mine who works in third sector with very economically challenged women has advised me her 'clientele' will regularly buy on ebay to return after wearing. 

3. @bravergrace said on a different thread that he found it insulting to tag his items. I wonder what people think about this? I agree I am uncomfortable tagging. I am also uncomfortable having items returns smelling of perfume.

4. Another seller (sorry I forget who) mentioned that I might do better using bullet points on my listings to make measurements easier to spot. I don't think this is the problem - but happy to hear opinions?

5. I would love to know if 13% is average for clothing sellers (especially pre-loved). Are people prepared to disclose their figures?

6. I have very few SNADS. I wonder if tagging stops SNADS but increases 'doesnt fit' returns.

7. I gift box and include a personal note with all of my sales to try and be nice - but also vaguely 'guilt trip'  buyers and get them to see I am a real person not a huge business. This definitely used to work - in my opinion - I'm not sure it does now. I buy online from charities. Two years ago, when something sold, I never saw it again. Now if something sells and I wanted it... I look out for it again... so I know returns to even charities has risen hugely.

8. An increasing number of people buy more than one item and seem to expect to return some. I think this is a trend. What do other people think?

I'd love a professional and constructive debate.

Message 1 of 70
See Most Recent
69 REPLIES 69

Amazon have the ability to block customers that return a lot of items.

However, I don't think that I've ever known it to happen.

There was a report a while back about someone in the USA, that was basically returning bricks etc and didn't get caught out, until they had racked up returns in the millions!

I know someone who was very obvious with returns.  Notably returning used items and suchlike and did it a lot, but never got banned from returning.  And that was over years, not a few days etc.

So unless it is extremely excessive, they tend to ignore them I think.

Message 21 of 70
See Most Recent

Years ago I had a photography studio (did portraits of people in outfits) buy some amazing and unique cowboy boots from me (I wasn't tagging at the time). They wanted to return. I duly agreed and advised them to open a case. They tried everything, too awkward, not working, cheaper to send from work, blahdiblahdiblah. In the end they never returned. I can only think ebay stopped their right of return after too many reports.

Message 22 of 70
See Most Recent

It is a fine line between being an open seller that buyers are confident to buy from and one which looks hostile. I'm sure we've all seen some very aggressive statements in item descriptions about abuse of returns, all sales being final, time wasting non payers etc. I think it is counterproductive if worded poorly and spooks more good buyers away than it does difficult buyers. 

I have wanted to buy from sellers before where their listing is so defensive that I have read it that they must hide defects or something as they are either very unlucky or just a naught to 100 type person who will lose their mind if an item isn't as described and is best avoided. 

My point with this is that your tagging and the friendly wording on it (and in some of the item descriptions) is on the other end of the scale where it is inviting and may put the return idea in a buyers mind. eBay already pin the 'breathe easy returns accepted' badge on our listings and I think that is enough. 

I have seen some vintage sellers have a standard paragraph in their descriptions along the lines of vintage items by nature may have slight wear and tear but anything notable will be clearly disclosed, along with the caveat that vintage styles and sizings can differ from clothing manufactured today and so buyers should take time to look at measurements and not only rely on a tag size. 
The hour glass mannequins may not help with this but that's just my own opinion, I don't know if other people agree, I have a few gathering dust that I never use.

Message 23 of 70
See Most Recent

I had contact from Amazon about my returns record - I'd returned about £7k in 6 months.  All faulty goods, but they don't appear to distinguish between return types.  Eldest bought a fancy flip phone that was more than a months pay pack and it split within a month, business purchase of a laser and the autofocus failed and then I returned, bought again (as is their policy) it failed again on a second unit, needed a replacement valve on a hot tub that was only a few months old and they insisted I had to dismantle and they arranged heavy goods return for the whole thing rather than just send the lightweight not that expensive replacement part.  I didn't buy again.

The email was firm that privaleges would be removed whilst they reviewed the account and may not be reinstated.  Would I like to provide any information on my reasons for high returns.  I did provide reasons, they let me know that no privaleges would be removed - no apology for a clear document trail of shoddy goods and message trail of the hassle and associated inconvenience, left a real sour feeling.  I haven't purchased any high ticket items subsequently on Amazon and don't think I would again.

Regarding returns rates, as a jewellery seller, my returns are generally rings that are wrong size and some people do buy multiple sizes at one time.  My rate has increased over last few years and is currently 1.5% - zero SNAD returns (but we're all subject to that odd buyer) and buyer pays return postage.  I'm not a fan of free returns - when I've flirted with it, or over highlighting returns in description, I think it creates doubt in a buyers mind.  Like when eBay experimented a while ago with post purchase emails stating if you're not happy you can return until ...., here's how you do it.  I had purchased items I was happy with but the email set my mind to thinking, should I not be happy with this? 

I do offer 60 day returns and when I introduced this a few years back my returns rate actually dropped.

I agree with comments about over defensive listings - puts me right off as a buyer.  As do really short descriptions.

Regarding clothing sizing its tough.  I don't have a clue what my measurements are.  I know sizes vary enormously by brand and sometimes magazines publish tables of different high street brands measurements by size - they're always fascinating.  A few brands are quite generous in their sizing like M & S, SeaSalt.  Whilst others are focused on a leaner shape.  I wonder if a table of familiar brands with measurements would help a buyer to see their familiar brand fit vs the measurements for the item available.  Particularly with higher value items that may well be from brands that are something you'd get for a special event rather than something you'd wear every day.

I like the hand writen thank you touch, but find a certain irony in printing a flyer to talk about sustainability - I wonder if this could be printed on box packaging or the back of invoice (if you include one).  Some parcels are getting a bit like magazines for extras, you need to shake out all the inserts straight to the recycling bin.

Message 24 of 70
See Most Recent

On the flip side, one thing that amazed me a few years back.

I sold solar eclipse glasses. Leading up to the big day I could not pack 

them fast enough, and even had to take the phone off the hook and 

put all stock on zero when I had 100s left. Just so I could catch up.

But the thing was. Not a single return. Even though for many buyers 

it would be a once in a life time experience.

Astronomy is looking up
Message 26 of 70
See Most Recent

@ojewellery wrote:

I like the hand writen thank you touch, but find a certain irony in printing a flyer to talk about sustainability - I wonder if this could be printed on box packaging or the back of invoice (if you include one).  Some parcels are getting a bit like magazines for extras, you need to shake out all the inserts straight to the recycling bin.

Good point. See my new message below this...

Message 27 of 70
See Most Recent

Thanks to all who have posted! Great thread - really helpful xxx

If you search on my listings / filter as new / you will see the last two (a sheepskin and a puffa) I am trialling adding the sizing details into the photos. I think I might also add a photo of a "flyer" regarding my business ethics/sustainability/thanks for supporting a small business! type of thing. Better than more paper in the parcel I agree (and cheaper). But that can wait... 

Any feedback welcome... I'm only adding this to new listings as yet.

Message 28 of 70
See Most Recent

I just love the colourful no returns tag- gets the message across , and the positioning of your sizing and the tag spot on - third and fourth images in. Think I'm going to try something like  this.  As said before, I'm not actually tagging, but hopefully something a little 'loud', and to the point like this should put potential wardrobers off.

Message 29 of 70
See Most Recent

@brindsey wrote:

I just love the colourful no returns tag- gets the message across , and the positioning of your sizing and the tag spot on - third and fourth images in. Think I'm going to try something like  this.  As said before, I'm not actually tagging, but hopefully something a little 'loud', and to the point like this should put potential wardrobers off.

Yes - I'm going to stop tagging (I think) til the end of July too. So a bit annoying to be trialling sizing in photos at same time as stopping tagging... I'll see if clearly worn returns shoot up...

Message 30 of 70
See Most Recent

To clarify I will show my 'returns accepted with tag in place' tag but not actually attach it.

Message 31 of 70
See Most Recent

A few thoughts 

With regards to the return rate I think this is to be expected purely from the  not being able to try it on when buying online.

The returned worn or smelling of perfume as a top seller if they are worn above expectation not just tried on which is allowable and reasonable you could make a refund deduction up to 50% if you believe it would affect the resale value.

If you do not already, build in an extra 20% on your delivery costs across the range which will more than cover the return postage costs and at the high end values you sell (for ebay) an extra £1 an item should cover it and not be obvious.

Buying multiple items and returning those that are unwanted is normal practice for buyers of clothing online - this is a problem for even the biggest online retaillers - some restrict the number of items that can be purchased at one time - some charge the return postage with each order - no one has a definitive answer - maybe this should be viewed as a compliment that customers like your range so much that they want to try several items before buying - as they could in a shop.

I do not think you are doing anything wrong - customers feel comfortable with you and feel they can shop with you.

The only suggestion would be to analyse returning customers and any repeat patterns to see where the returns were occuring  - new one off or returning - if returning and you have a pattern - you could look at the opportunity to provide a return label to these customers when they order and word an insert to them explaining how to treat the clothing when returning and trying on - it could be worded to make them feel special 

Message 32 of 70
See Most Recent

It is all food for thought.  For my money visual sizing is clearer (example of one image cut into Canva background removed and still in canva arrows and text added).  Not everyone is literate/ English may not be first language and the pictures help show what the numbers mean - may aid some brain engagement (which I think is what you're after).

31  79cm.jpg

Message 33 of 70
See Most Recent

Whilst I agree, that simplifies things for buyers considerably, you do have to allow for the amount of time doing something like that adds to listing products.

I think it would have an effect on returns, though possibly not as much as you might think.

But personally, I simply couldn't spend that extra time on the listing.  Though obviously it's going to depend on just how many listings that you have to process at one time.

Buy your image prompted me, does anyone actually list clothes with cm's as well as Inches?

Does it make a difference?

I've stuck to inches, simply because the majority of stuff is measured that way, even though it's becoming outdated.  And I know it's different outside the UK, as they are far more metric than we are.  🙂

Message 34 of 70
See Most Recent

Completely agree time is a factor in the pricing but the process for that listing was under 5 minutes because I'm efficient at Canva.  The image is part of the original set and to type text into Canva as quick as typing onto a paint document to create a jpg for upload.  The arrows are precreated in Canva so you click arrow then move each head to where you want it to start and finish.  Its really very quick

Message 35 of 70
See Most Recent

There is an app called SmartSizer which is an AI clothing measurement tool. I watched a video on it a few months ago and it looked to be accurate but I haven't tried it. This has reminded me to download it and test it out. It is only good for flat lay I think, I can download it on iOS but it wasn't available on Android at the time.

Message 36 of 70
See Most Recent

So obviously very different category, but returns rate is currently around 7% which is excruciatingly bad, and has been high for the first few months of the year. I think people have less money and so are just a little more demanding on everything pbeing perfect or it goes back. The platform themselves haven't really helped with their return policy over the years. (i.e. message seller button goes straight, I have a problem and want to return it screen). I know i'm doing more testing my side to make sure items are fully working and on checking nearly all the returns are innocuous reasons and have been opened as standard returns and not SNAD. Returns are far worse for me at a guess though, as either re-testing takes a considerable amount of time or due to the lower cost delivery can take a large chunk of any profit we would of made. Often a return means we effectively have to write the item off and get nothing. 

Message 37 of 70
See Most Recent

@ojewellery 

Thanks as ever for your thoughts. I do agree that a picture looks good. However, as has been pointed out -  time is a factor.  Some of my items are now taking 20-30 mins to get them onto ebay (sometimes more depending on restoration and how easy they photograph).  And the problem in my category of course is I have ONE of EACH item. I would happily spend 30 mins if I had 200 of each.

With this current system - I cut and paste straight from the listing - jpeg it - and job done. It takes 30 seconds now I have done two and learned. Maybe when I have time i will look into Canva, but I also want to design a flyer, properly design my shop, start using newsletters, set up my own website (been promising myself this for years), and I'm only spending @ 10 hours a week on ebay for the next 3 months... so I'm not hopeful 🙂

But thank you. It is food for thought.

Message 38 of 70
See Most Recent

@dch2112011 wrote:

A few thoughts 

With regards to the return rate I think this is to be expected purely from the  not being able to try it on when buying online.

The returned worn or smelling of perfume as a top seller if they are worn above expectation not just tried on which is allowable and reasonable you could make a refund deduction up to 50% if you believe it would affect the resale value.

Yes I do this but try not to overuse the privilege

If you do not already, build in an extra 20% on your delivery costs across the range which will more than cover the return postage costs and at the high end values you sell (for ebay) an extra £1 an item should cover it and not be obvious.

Yes I do this.

Buying multiple items and returning those that are unwanted is normal practice for buyers of clothing online - this is a problem for even the biggest online retaillers - some restrict the number of items that can be purchased at one time - some charge the return postage with each order - no one has a definitive answer - maybe this should be viewed as a compliment that customers like your range so much that they want to try several items before buying - as they could in a shop.

Thankyou - but as @bravergrace pointed out. It is still soul destroying to pack 20 items and wonder which 2 or 3 will be returned. It is spoiling my 'ebay experience'. 😊

I do not think you are doing anything wrong - customers feel comfortable with you and feel they can shop with you.

Again - thanks for this feedback. Part of the point of this thread was to understand if 13% was high (implying I could improve) or just something to accept. So far only one clothing seller has told me she has managed to cut her returns rate to 10% (from 15%). I very much appreciate the returns rates revealed by other sellers in different sectors (which are enviable) but would love other clothing sellers to be upfront...

The only suggestion would be to analyse returning customers and any repeat patterns to see where the returns were occuring  - new one off or returning - if returning and you have a pattern - you could look at the opportunity to provide a return label to these customers when they order and word an insert to them explaining how to treat the clothing when returning and trying on - it could be worded to make them feel special 

Message 39 of 70
See Most Recent

@padanpcparts wrote:

So obviously very different category, but returns rate is currently around 7% which is excruciatingly bad, and has been high for the first few months of the year. I think people have less money and so are just a little more demanding on everything pbeing perfect or it goes back. The platform themselves haven't really helped with their return policy over the years. (i.e. message seller button goes straight, I have a problem and want to return it screen). I know i'm doing more testing my side to make sure items are fully working and on checking nearly all the returns are innocuous reasons and have been opened as standard returns and not SNAD. Returns are far worse for me at a guess though, as either re-testing takes a considerable amount of time or due to the lower cost delivery can take a large chunk of any profit we would of made. Often a return means we effectively have to write the item off and get nothing. 

I agree. My instinct is that people are returning more frequently because money is tight. It is really wearing though as sellers share the loss for their 'risk' buying. I am worn out with it. Currently, I am £5 down for the week (I run my week Mon-Sun). WHich means refunding on returns has currently eaten up all my sales for the week. Sure - touch wood - I will make money this weekend but it is wearing.

True, my margins are mega - so returns don't write off an item. In fact, given inflation, I frequently hike the price on an item once it is returned to cover the postage loss. 

As an aside, an annoyance for me is I just had an item recieved back 7 weeks after delivery. (4 weeks to open return, 3 weeks to post). I'd love to see sellers not having to refund for the same time it took a buyer to return. I think this sums up how i feel... the disregard of many buyers regarding the effect of their actions on sellers they percieve as businesses. I realise this is all part and parcel of selling online, but it is my main issue with the business/private seller inequality.

Message 40 of 70
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: