RETURNS for fashion/clothing retailers (but other categories please chime in)

This post has been on my mind for a while. I'd love an open discussion.

My returns rate is currently a shocking 13.8%. It has climbed steadily from 9-10% over the last 3 years. Prior to COVID I had been at under 10% for years. This coincides with a drive by me to raise my prices above the £100+ mark and I have also started tagging. I think my price increase makes people more likely to return but I wonder if there are other factors I am missing?

Some thoughts to set the ball rolling:

1. An extremely informative ebay pro-trader rep advised that it was the tagging that was probably the problem (she reckoned it put the idea of returning into peoples head as soon as they saw the item. It also suggested returning to people who might not know this is possible on ebay). However, I have taken returns on items that have definitely been worn and i want to stop this.

2. As an aside, a friend of mine who works in third sector with very economically challenged women has advised me her 'clientele' will regularly buy on ebay to return after wearing. 

3. @bravergrace said on a different thread that he found it insulting to tag his items. I wonder what people think about this? I agree I am uncomfortable tagging. I am also uncomfortable having items returns smelling of perfume.

4. Another seller (sorry I forget who) mentioned that I might do better using bullet points on my listings to make measurements easier to spot. I don't think this is the problem - but happy to hear opinions?

5. I would love to know if 13% is average for clothing sellers (especially pre-loved). Are people prepared to disclose their figures?

6. I have very few SNADS. I wonder if tagging stops SNADS but increases 'doesnt fit' returns.

7. I gift box and include a personal note with all of my sales to try and be nice - but also vaguely 'guilt trip'  buyers and get them to see I am a real person not a huge business. This definitely used to work - in my opinion - I'm not sure it does now. I buy online from charities. Two years ago, when something sold, I never saw it again. Now if something sells and I wanted it... I look out for it again... so I know returns to even charities has risen hugely.

8. An increasing number of people buy more than one item and seem to expect to return some. I think this is a trend. What do other people think?

I'd love a professional and constructive debate.

Message 1 of 70
See Most Recent
69 REPLIES 69

I tried out the SmartSizer app earlier and I was impressed with it. It will take a bit of trial and error to get used to the best distance to picture from to get accurate measurements, and I would always cross check them myself but I was impressed by it. The tape measure I use is fine but sometimes isn't ideal as buyers need to zoom in to a picture. The picture you get on the app is clear and based on a quick play with it I thought it was very good. 

Message 41 of 70
See Most Recent

To fully understand returns you need to analyse all factors

The time and day they are ordered

The style and type of clothing returned

Multiple orders part returned are they the same size and style

How many are single item orders

The type of customer new or returning

The price band of the items being returned

Do returns increase at certain times of year 

Do you plot returns year on year month on month as a monetary and clothing type.

Plot the areas of the country they are ordered and returned from.

How many returns are from established sellers on ebay against devoted buyers

If you gather all this information over two or three years or for as long as you can monthly - you will see if any patterns arise or whether it is very much random.  The difficulty you have is that your items are unique - unlike a new clothes seller whose lines repeat until the next style is launched.

This means that you need to categorise them yourself - ie leather trench coats

If patterns become obvious then you can work to reduce returns that are trending.

This can be eliminating high return items and concentrating on items that do not attract a high return to highlighlighting orders likely to be returned or partially returned and taking pro active action to reduce the returns by communicating with the buyer in a nice way but laying the ground rules before dispatch. Whether this is by a generated e mail, label on clothing, insert in packaging, the listing advert or accepting free returns. 

You may not reduce the returns but you will have an informed understanding of them and this will make it clear as to how you will deal with them in the future.

Understanding your business unfortunately means collating and using the information within your business and applying your knowledge and expertise of your business to tweak or change your operating criteria to become more efficient 

You have identified a potential problem within your business but are you using the tools and information within your business to effect a solution ? This is the question 

Message 42 of 70
See Most Recent

Thankyou - but as @bravergrace pointed out. It is still soul destroying to pack 20 items and wonder which 2 or 3 will be returned. It is spoiling my 'ebay experience'. 

You could look at this as a positive  that you have successfuly completed 17 profitable sales and only get 2 or 3 returns.  

It would be nice for other similar retaillers to share the information but I wonder how many of them in your sector are really aware of the figures ? 

One problem with running a small business is that it is personal and return of one item becomes magnified and all consuming when you run every aspect of your business. This is human nature and it is difficult to step back and look at the bigger picture.

Increasing your order value as you have done is commendable and exactly what any seller on ebay should strive to achieve - this not only falls in line with Ebay's future projections but leads to a more profitable and financially viable business for you giving you the ability to deal with day to day operational issues in a much more professional managed manner without so many financial constraints 

Message 43 of 70
See Most Recent

@dch2112011 wrote:

You could look at this as a positive  that you have successfuly completed 17 profitable sales and only get 2 or 3 returns.  

It would be nice for other similar retaillers to share the information but I wonder how many of them in your sector are really aware of the figures ? 

Hi clothing sellers! If you don't know your returns figure - but would love to share - just go to:

SELLER HUB/select: Seller Level (Region UK)/ scoll to: RETURNS RATE*

* it is in the middle between 'seller level' and 'ebay premium service benefits'

Message 44 of 70
See Most Recent

@sheba-knows-best wrote:

@dch2112011 wrote:

Hi clothing sellers! If you don't know your returns figure - but would love to share - just go to:

SELLER HUB/select: Seller Level (Region UK)/ scoll to: RETURNS RATE*

* it is in the middle between 'seller level' and 'ebay premium service benefits'

Although, just had a thought, and even that is... very.... eBay.... sigh.

My 'quantity sold' quoted in seller level is a massive 82% down on the figure given in the performance tab.

If I use the returns quantity quoted in 'seller level' but apply it to my 'quantity sold' in performance tab my returns rate is an improved  11.3%. 😁

I dont measure returns on my own Excel spreadsheet as it hasnt been an issue previously and I thought i could trust ebays figures on this one... 

I dont have time now - but my guesstimate (vs what I do have in my spreadsheet regarding volumes) is that ebay's returns % in seller level might be taking the number of returns vs. completed sales (i.e. already discounting the returns).  This is wrong, surely? Ebay needs to work out returns vs total quantity sold.

Pepole who have quoted returns %. Where do you get your figure from?

Message 45 of 70
See Most Recent

That's the beauty of statistics - they can be manipulated depending on the criteria used - perhaps you should also categorise returns between 'do not fit' and 'faulty goods'  to try and determine the percentage of try before you buy returns ?

Message 46 of 70
See Most Recent

I have only had 1 return, opened on the last possible day then posted back 2 weeks later as ebay gave that long to post it back, the buyer had done the same to MANY sellers, some who I spoke to and we reported, as one poor seller had about 10 items returned!!  

My only worry with the tagging and the photo of it .... so many buyers will be of the knowledge that it doesn't matter what you say about returns they can just open INAD instead of return which will hurt your account. Also it could deter buyers seeing that on 3rd image like it's aimed at THEM as though they are bad buyers? It's a tricky one but my view is that the people who return are going to do so regardless, and the ones that "borrow" will still do it as the tag can be hidden 😔.

I think it's more likely that the higher priced your items are the more likely to be returned..... a cheaper purchased item is not worth the hassle for majority but if its a large sum of money there's more motive?

Message 47 of 70
See Most Recent

@uk.yourgiftsdelivered wrote:

I have only had 1 return, opened on the last possible day then posted back 2 weeks later as ebay gave that long to post it back, the buyer had done the same to MANY sellers, some who I spoke to and we reported, as one poor seller had about 10 items returned!!  

My only worry with the tagging and the photo of it .... so many buyers will be of the knowledge that it doesn't matter what you say about returns they can just open INAD instead of return which will hurt your account. Also it could deter buyers seeing that on 3rd image like it's aimed at THEM as though they are bad buyers? It's a tricky one but my view is that the people who return are going to do so regardless, and the ones that "borrow" will still do it as the tag can be hidden 😔.

I can confirm I have very low INADS despite tagging for 15 monts now (prior to just stopping)

If I looked at an item and saw the seller said it wouldn't be tagged, I wouldn't feel affronted. But thank you for your feedback.

Just to clarify. I put my tags in very obvious places on the outside of the items. Impossible to remove without ripping the tag. They cannot be hidden.

I think it's more likely that the higher priced your items are the more likely to be returned..... a cheaper purchased item is not worth the hassle for majority but if its a large sum of money there's more motive?

Totally agree. Thank you.

Message 48 of 70
See Most Recent

@sheba-knows-best wrote:

. so many buyers will be of the knowledge that it doesn't matter what you say about returns they can just open INAD instead of return which will hurt your account.

Also - it does matter to my buyers what I say about returns - So far, touch wood, when I have partially discounted the refund saying the item has been worn (evidence given removal of tags), ebay has backed me and also removed any negative feedback. Like I say... touch wood. 

Message 49 of 70
See Most Recent

Also it could deter buyers seeing that on 3rd image like it's aimed at THEM as though they are bad buyers?

I had anoter thought! Wouldnt the opposite happen? Buyers are clearly made aware that I accept returns. So I attract right minded buyers? (hopefully anyway)

Message 50 of 70
See Most Recent

I've had a couple of weeks where returns have destroyed the weeks sales. It is soul destroying. Especially when you spends hours testing/checking items/making sure descriptions are correct, and customers dont even communicate an issue. I can see there being some changes in online selling regulations in the next few years if things keep going this way. Big companies are also pointing out what a problem this is. At some point they will all say enough is enough and customers rights will start to be eroded. 

Message 51 of 70
See Most Recent

@brindsey wrote:

I just love the colourful no returns tag- gets the message across , and the positioning of your sizing and the tag spot on - third and fourth images in. Think I'm going to try something like  this.  As said before, I'm not actually tagging, but hopefully something a little 'loud', and to the point like this should put potential wardrobers off.

Just to update. I have now done a few of these and actually the extra photo takes maybe 20 seconds? It is just a cut and paste. And I SAVE more than 20 seconds if the listing already has that format (with sizing separated out at bottom) as it is much easier to edit. So in my opinion this is a win/win improvement if the photos a) dont put off the right buyers  b) do stop returns.

As a humorous aside... I just sold a dress for £100. I am itching to tag it. In my opinion dresses are the obvius returns after one wear. I must remain strong to my trial 😄

Message 52 of 70
See Most Recent

I'm really not sure, just making guesses that may happen ? 😔

I don't ever return unless its broken/damaged on arrival. I bought my daughter a £75 pair of boots from ebay seller for Xmas and showed her a pic saying "these are nice aren't they?" She said they were awful 😅 I didn't send them back as there was nothing wrong with them and it was my fault, (probably because im a seller myself so see things like returns differently to non sellers)

I resold them and lost £15. Lesson learnt, this year show her the pic before ordering!

I think more possibly its the trending mindset of buyers to just return at will now....  especially if its more costly purchases..

Message 53 of 70
See Most Recent

Oh well, it never gets easier does it?

Just had my first return since opening this thread with a clearly worn return (not tagged). All the tell-tale signs were there:

"I am buying the item but I do 'sense' things about clothing and if it is has a bad aura I may have to return.......... -  I have recieved the item - not sure I like the colour - I will look at it for a few days but promise not to wear it outside."

Then it comes back drenched in something like febreze (only worse, very chemically, will need airing for months - I have a coat drenched in perfume that is at 18months and counting).

Followed usual procedure: "Thank you for the safe return of the coat. Before I refund appropriately I would appreciate your comments as to why - if the coat was not to your liking - it has been sprayed with a chemical that has left a strong and unpleasant odour? Best wishes x

Sigh.

Message 54 of 70
See Most Recent

That made me laugh

Your clothes have a bad 'aurora' , funny as (I know its not)

Applaud your professionalism, you must be an expert in biting your bottom lip, would drive me nuts

Message 55 of 70
See Most Recent

Ouch.    I have recently listed clothes and now i am concerned 😞   I never usually sell them.

Message 56 of 70
See Most Recent

All okay-ish - I have partially refunded in line with TRS - directing CS to message trail - she hasn't responded.

She replied to the question about the smell - after three requests with: Could it be perfume? It's Italian! 

Yeah, even I laughed at that. The coat smelt like a preworn sheepskin. I suspect she wore it - perfume smell is super-hard to remove, hence why she kept it a while, but nope that perfume smell wasn't shifting, so she doused it in something yucky. All supposition I know. Possibly she didn't like the smell on arrival. Either way whatever she tipped over the coat was horrendous. I can't relist for months unless I dryclean. Sigh. The point being: I wish I'd tagged this one.

Message 57 of 70
See Most Recent

FInal update. Buyer appealed (which I did tell her she could in my final message to her). She was refunded at no impact to myself.  She was a 1 feedback buyer. We have to just hope that this is a buyer who will reconsider 'renting' from ebay in future as a bit too much effort... plus obviously I reported so she  might not win another appeal as easily.

Message 58 of 70
See Most Recent

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've not yet (fingers crossed), had any returns where items have obviously been worn for something.  

But then most of what I sell, is not really the sort of thing that people are going to do that with in general.

Have you thought about steering clear of the dresses etc?

Message 59 of 70
See Most Recent

Just as a by the bye - there is a used clothing/accessories  seller, over 2000 items (enforced business registration), who on most listings has:

"Returns accepted minus £5 outgoing costs"

She's been doing it for years, even going so far as, sometimes,  to say eBay approves.  

Then, at the bottom of her listings she has suddenly started putting:

"I certify that all my selling activities will comply with all EU laws and regulations."

??????

Message 60 of 70
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: