Authenticity Diamond Ring Passed then Returned then Resold then Rejected. What!?!?

Has this happened to anyone?  Sold a diamond ring (Certified with Documents) in January, it passed Authenticity no problem, the buyer changed their mind and returned.  Fair enough. Relisted it, it sold again, sent to the Authenticators and this time it FAILED?!!  What the hell is going on?  How can anyone run a business with this going on?  How can anyone either buyer or seller have ANY confidence in this process.  Does anyone have contact details for any of the Ebay UK directors, because I need to speak to someone about this TODAY.  

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Authenticity Diamond Ring Passed then Returned then Resold then Rejected. What!?!?

eBay will almost certainly wash their hands of the matter as it is their "authentication partner" (GIA®) who decided the item wasn't genuine or otherwise didn't match the listing. As per eBay: "GIA® is not affiliated with eBay or sellers other than as a verifier of items."

Did you send the item with the authentication card obtained from the original authentication?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Is it possible (from your point of view, or the authenticator's, or eBay's) that the ring was tampered with during the first sale-and-return?

If not, there are a couple of other possible explanations, including that the item was borderline on the first authentication, and fell just short on the second (pure chance), or that the rules for authentication have changed between the two sales.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

@bravergrace wrote:

Is it possible (from your point of view, or the authenticator's, or eBay's) that the ring was tampered with during the first sale-and-return?

It shouldn't be possible because the buyer returns the item to the authenticators who verify they have received the same item back in the same condition it left them in.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Not sure on the jewellery side but do they sticker the box or packaging to say its been checked? I've had 2 pairs of trainers so far that have been returned and then rejected after I have resold as authentication said they had been worn, yes they had been tried on by customers who returned them (thats against eBays rules) and after I pointed out they still had stickers on proving they were returns they backed down. I guess they could say you swapped them over after it was returned but why would you do it knowing it was going to fail.  I'd say contact customer service but even that team now are becoming a bit annoying, I currently have a case where the buyer swapped for a defective pair but eBay are saying its the same shoe so basically admitting that its either not the same shoe or they are authenticating defective shoes as fine.

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

The original authentication card was retained by the first buyer.  It was sent with all the documents that accompanied it.  This is a totally ridiculous situation.  Whether it passes seems to depend on who looks at it.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Nope, impossible, it was inspected again after the first return and found to be the same, otherwise it wouldn't have been returned to me.  Exactly the same was sent again and failed.

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Jewellery just simply seems to be a matter of who inspects it.  The first person passed it, the second failed it.  It's the same bloody item.  This is a nightmare.  Ebay must refine or scrap this process,

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

@affordable-luxury wrote:

The original authentication card was retained by the first buyer.  

This sounds like an odd thing for the buyer to do given they were returning the item.

Were you given any further information other than the item had failed authentication? i.e. were you given a specific reason or told which test it failed?

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

I've got a pair of Nike dunks that went via authentication, all fine, customer opens item defective case and returns, bit strange as somebody had to physically inspect the shoe but its automatically accepted, eBay then confirm its defective with a huge indentation on the toe box. Called them up and they claim mistakes happen so it might have been missed when I sent them off and they know 100% thats its the same pair of shoes but they only tag 1 shoe and cant tell you how they 100% know its the same shoe. I know its not the same shoe as Im not blind to a huge indentation.

Glad I have the contact details of the person running the sneakers department as they will be getting yet another email, as it simply cant be the case that a shoe can just be swapped and returned. Its such a good system but they have implemented it without asking its customers (US eBay we are your customers) who use it every single day.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Just that the clarity was not matching the description.  It is exactly the same diamond, listed exactly the same with exactly the same documentation. 

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: