offensive and cruel product

I don't know if I am in the right place to post this but felt I should make my thoughts on this product known, and ask if others felt the same. As I was browsing ebay looking for a new lead for my pup I came across something called 'Prong Pinch Choke Half Collar' which is apparently used on dogs to stop them pulling, it is made up of metal links which have pointed prongs on the inside which are designed to stick into the dogs neck if they pull on the lead, so not only does it choke the dog but also sticks sharp metal prongs into the dogs neck if it pulls on the lead. I personally think this is cruel and barbaric and shouldn't be allowed, I am told they are not illegal, what are your thoughts on this and do you think ebay should allow such items to be sold on their Website.

Message 1 of 32
See Most Recent
31 REPLIES 31

I don't like the look of that thing at all.

You could try contacting eBay?

Draw attention to it by contacting all the animal welfare organisations and also your MP.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 32
See Most Recent

I agree with cee-dee....get the relevant authorities to take a look - PDSA, RSPCA, Blue Cross, Dogs Trust etc etc. This is the sort of collar that (in my opinion) people who are going to bait/fight dogs would use.

This sort of thing is, as you say, barbaric.

However...those who are animal lovers are just going to walk on by.

Good luck...and please do some action about it....keep us informed.

Keep a note of the seller and other relevant details regarding the listing just in case you need them in the future

Remember - it takes 17 muscles to smile and 44 muscles to frown - SO KEEP SMILING 🙂
Message 3 of 32
See Most Recent

Being sold for £2.99 cheap and very nasty,he's sold 196.

Wherever i wander i follow our team,
the famous Sunderland, a love supreme.
Message 4 of 32
See Most Recent

as an animal lover  angry.gif

i would like to be left in a room with the people who designed this (and one of there products)..

i am sure they would come to realise it isnt a nice product  wink.gif

Why cant ebay see how unhappy it is making the majority of its good sellers?

Message 5 of 32
See Most Recent

I had a pittie/staff cross who pulled like a train but there is no way I would have inflicted that on him.  Unfortunately there is a particular type of staffie owner who would buy these and where there is a market there will always be someone willing to supply it.

I now have a border collie, who pulls like a train, to prevent him from tearing my arm out of it's socket we use http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ancol-Bungee-Shock-Absorber-for-Leads-Single-Double-/270710912697?pt=UK_Ho...

Message 6 of 32
See Most Recent

If you put 'Prong Pinch Choke Half Collar' into search there are loads of sellers

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/HS-Satin-Nickle-Prong-Pinch-Premium-Collar-64cm-25-/22/!CDhHHdw!Wk~$(KGrHqN,!...

Message 7 of 32
See Most Recent

They are NOT illegal in the UK, but

The RSPCA has condemned use of the spiked or pronged metal collars - which dig into a dog's neck if they pull on their lead - saying they are likely to “cause pain”.

This was from an article about the company selling most of these in the UK , incl on ebay

Message 8 of 32
See Most Recent

Yes i have reported it to ebay but have had no response yet.

Take a look at the attached photos and if you are as saddened and disgusted by them

as i am please make yiur own complaint, maybe if enough people complain ebay

might consider taking them off ebay.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 32
See Most Recent

Message 10 of 32
See Most Recent

Then quite clearly ebay needs to make a stand.

Message 11 of 32
See Most Recent

I agree, the sort of people who use this type of product are the same sort of people who buy dogs as status symbols, ie. staffies, take a look in any rehoming centre and check out how many staffies are there.

Message 12 of 32
See Most Recent

Yeah, so thanks to him there are 196 poor dogs suffering at the hands of their owners and more than likely having physical wounds inflicted on them which will more than likely become infected without veterinary intervention.

Message 13 of 32
See Most Recent

Well I have comtacted ebay and reported the item, maybe if we all made a complaint about them ebay might ban them, lets try anyway. I contacted the seller and voiced my opinion and he said he would report me for harrasment so I said please do, at least then it will bring it to their attention.

Message 14 of 32
See Most Recent

Just sent this to the seller in the hope that I may influence him in some way to stop selling these tools of torture.

Well of course i'm not interested in buying it, I am however extremely concerned about the sale of these collars and would like to highlight to you just how cruel and barbaric they are. All of the animal charities agree that these should be banned and they are in the process of trying to get this through parliament. Have you seen the damage that they inflict and the infections that they cause when the wounds are left ununtreated. I am hoping that maybe you hadn't realised how harmful and cruel these collars are and that the attached photos might change your mind, I live in hope anyway, I am sure you do not intentionally sell items of torture and that it is purely ignorance of what these collars can do that has led you to purchase and sell these collars. Incidentally one of the most common uses of these collars is to incite anger and aggression in dogs used for dog fighting and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't condone that either.

- magiclilpagan

Message 15 of 32
See Most Recent

Hello,

Who told you they are not illegal ???

I can assure you they are. And that's without anyone telling me. I have been a life member of Battersea Dogs Home for 30 years and have seen on only a couple of  occassions spikes sticking out! which also are illegal. Can you immagine that collar you have shown twisting on a dogs neck? That would be sticking out! and a dog running loose (or not) sticking eyes out  partiularily at chid height? Of course common sense say's they ARE ILLEGAL. 

You are obviously very distressed about it. Contact the R S P C A  and they will take up the matter. They have to it is cruelty and illegal - that's their job.

You can normally contact them anytime, for advice. Though they may not be able to persue this particular matter till office hours on Monday.

Good luck! and I amire you for your concerns. Please let us know how you get on. 

Message 16 of 32
See Most Recent

Merehazel ,

I can find NO law against the use of them, but the RSPCA may go after owners who hurt their Dogs using them.

An e-Petition to ban them has just closed

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/36347

thats the second one, but it seems they don't get this out into the public eye, for them to be successful

Message 17 of 32
See Most Recent

First thanks for the link.

Perhaps I should have said as far as I know? It's incredible that the RSPCA and other concerns had not pressured the ''unconcerned'' government who have never been concerned IMO. Otherwise we would not be discussing such a very serious matter on here.

I was totally convinced that these cruel collars would be illegal (on common sense alone) and I have never seen this type before.

'The RSPCA may go after owners who hurt their dogs using them'  MAY? That's the problem only may after the damage is done.

No dog should be on a collar, only on a harness, no matter what size or breed, Injury infection and even death are a very likely result.

Choke  chains are almost as cruel as these spike collars. Yet choke chains have been about for many decades in the public EYE.

The RSPCA and other concerns do very often very good work, but on some matters like our ''irresponsible'' government they look only when there is some appalling tragedy.

Message 18 of 32
See Most Recent

How about pttutng thi typeof coll arond the throat of the desiner and take him/her for a walk over the cliff but you taking him/her for the walk as you get near the presipie release so you dont fall over.

Message 19 of 32
See Most Recent

High Tim, why you little devil....Man Wink

How about putting on here first?

014.JPG

Message 20 of 32
See Most Recent