Will Gibraltar survive Brexit?

Concern about their survival as a British Overseas Territory is growing - Nearly 99% of voters chose to remain under sole UK sovereignty in the 2002 referendum and 96% voted for the UK to remain in the EU in the recent referendum.

Nearly half its workforce cross the border from Spain each day - the majority of their trade depends on the freedom of the single market - Spain put forward a proposal of joint sovereignty following the Brexit decision, (flatly rejected by Gibraltar).

If Spain closes the border then it looks like many of the British young adults living there will leave.

What concessions do you think the UK will have to make to ensure the survival of the Rock.

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

I think that will put them between a Rock and a hard place.......................sorry...........couldn't resist. Smiley IndifferentSmiley Tongue

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Smiley LOL

Petal
Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Gibralter - How about

Will Scotland in the Union, survive Brexit ?

So Brexit aside,

Theresa May is acting more and more like the detested Thatcher every Day

Her uncaring hard-nosed policies are an anathema north of the border, even to Scottish Conservatives.

Add Brexit to the Mix and it will be a lot harder to win a new Independence referendum.

Last Time People viewed Labour and the Lib Dems as a credible force nearer to their own beliefs

Even that has vanished and up here we only see a future with a continuous Tory Government

Latest polls show a massive rise in resentment of the present Government, who are yet again the Nasty party and worse, loads of Ministers and MPs seem to be proud of that type of Politics.

Only 5 weeks ago, the Independence support was falling with Yes gaining

Then came the Brexit debates in the House of Commons

What did the Scots see -

The Nasty wing in full flow, the little England Tories in ascendance - Redwood, Cash, David Davis, Liam Fox, Boris Johnson, IDS et. al

To Us it was like looking at Thatchers Cabinet rising from the grave, with Cruella De May looking more and more like a long dead Thatcher who's came out of her crypt to retake Her Throne.

People on here who know me, they know I've always been a Unionist - 

but if the Nasty party are our only Future, Why Bother fighting Indy this time

Winter is coming - with Cruella De May the leading White Walker

The UK may be finnished

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Sadly no. They will be left high and dry just like all the others under British rule.

A blockade could start anytime or a Battalion from the Spanish army could walk in anytime and not a lot could be done. The is no significant numbers of British military personel left there.

RAF base is more or less shut.

Army has gone long ago.

RN have a couple of patrol boats and 2-3 peddle boats.

And Spain have been warning for ages about the "IF Britain leave EU"

So who's what next-sadSmiley Sad

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Yup, the nights are dark and full of terrors!

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

The people of the African Morrocco ... Ceuta - Spain's Gibraltar if you like, will be interested in the hypocrasy I bet.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

I'm afraid you'll not get much joy here .Unfortunately some people in here haven't a scooby doo of the strategic position of GIB.

They will ignore anything about it but rather slag off the Scots and and anything else that doesn't suit there idiotic agenda as being oh powerful British Empire.

Some of them probably think- oh do we own that too?-GIB where is that exactly!

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

I'm not sure what to make of the current situation, firstly on ALS point about the scot nats blatant opportunism, I think it is sad that as a small island we must become the North Atlantic equivalent of Haiti and the Dominican Republic, we are so well integrated that breaking us apart can only bring hardship and leave us weaker, I despair at the state of the Labour Party which ought to be standing up for Scots but they are unlikely to come back and will decline in England too, that leaves no real alternative in the England even though Arron BAnks is planning a new party we know how difficult it can be to break the stranglehold of traditional politics, remember the SDP and its new dawn? Perhaps we should move the seat of power from Westminster to Hollyrood and alternate with Cardiff, drastically reduce the number of MPs and start over again. As components we are all vulnerable and our assets can only be sold off once, what happens when all the silver is gone. I have no idea.
Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

As for Gibraltar we will have to hang our heads in shame and leave them at the mercy of 🇪🇸 Spain, and let us not forget the other dependencies. At the going down of the sun and in the morning!!!!
Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent