Why does ebay want me to sell to a non existant country ?

Its a simple question and I would really like an answer .

Some of my listings sate I will ship to the Falkland Islands and in brackets (Islas Malvinas)

Other of my listings state i will ship to Islas Malvinas and in brackets ( Falkland Islands )

There is no such country as the Islas Malvinas , it does not exist  , Royal Mail does not deliver post to that destination .

There is no international dialing code for the Islas Malvinas .

The Treaty of Lisbon confirms that the Falklands Islands belong to the United Kingdom .

So whats next , will ebay call Gibralter una pieza española de roca llena de monos peludos ?

So please , give us back the Falklands !

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

@i_failed_my_dna_test wrote:

Some of my listings sate I will ship to the Falkland Islands and in brackets (Islas Malvinas)

Other of my listings state i will ship to Islas Malvinas and in brackets ( Falkland Islands )

There is no such country as the Islas Malvinas , it does not exist  , Royal Mail does not deliver post to that destination .

The Treaty of Lisbon confirms that the Falklands Islands belong to the United Kingdom .

So whats next , will ebay call Gibralter una pieza española de roca llena de monos peludos ?

Perhaps because many South American countries do not know them as the Falklands...........

‘You need darkness for a star to truly shine’

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

Does this pose any problem to you, or any other Ebayer, or are you just making a political point?

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

Islas Malvinas is Spanish and is the name used by the Argentinians when referring to the Falkland Islands.  The two places are one and the same - they are just referred to differently depending on whether you are speaking to a British person, a native of the Falkland Islands or an Argentinian person.

With regards to the international dialling code for the Falkland Islands the international dialling code is 500.  The Falklands, as you stated in your post, are British territory; however, is any of this really worth getting wound up about?

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

@corred wrote:

Perhaps because many South American countries do not know them as the Falklands...........

If we used that arguement , would ebay refer to Isreal as Palestine ?

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

@corred wrote:

If we used that arguement , would ebay refer to Isreal as Palestine ?

Which we most definitely should......but let's not go down that avenue of discussion (as even the UN states much of "Israel" is illegally occupied territory)

‘You need darkness for a star to truly shine’

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

@poscompuk wrote:

Does this pose any problem to you, or any other Ebayer, or are you just making a political point?

The problem here , in case you had not noticed is ebay management .

We had yet another melt down last weekend , and there are still indications that all is not working properly .

We have a wonderful new metric to see how quickly we dispatch buyers goods , that in actual fact is measureing Royal Mails delivery skills but marking sellers down for problems beyond their control .

We have a whole horde of minor glitches , some dating back several years , that cannot or will not be fixed .

We have more and more business sellers pretending to be private sellers every week and nothing gets done .

And what does ebay do while all these problems are ruining the site , and many sellers businesses ?

They pay someone to write some software that will show every country that a seller will post to , even adding a non existant country to the list . For some sellers its another 2 or 3 line of twext , for others it can be as many as 15 lines of useless text .

All I want , and all a lot of other decent sellers want is an ebay that works properly , with no stupid gimmicks , thats lets a seller run their business properly , without hinderance .

Is that really asking too much ?

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

It's a bit offensive to veterans of the conflict that retained sovereignty if you ask me.

I couldn't agree more with DNA on this one.

Don't wait for the perfect moment - seize the moment and make it perfect Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

@*northy* wrote:

It's a bit offensive to veterans of the conflict that retained sovereignty if you ask me.

I couldn't agree more with DNA on this one.

Thanks for that Northy , I had considered mentioning that but I did not have the courage .

There are probably 100's maybe even 1000's of ebay buyers and sellers out there who had some connection with the Falklands war and I do wonder how they feel .

If for political reasons ebay wants sellers in the South American region to display the fact that they will sell and ship to Islas Malvinas I can see a small amount of sense in that , but to foist it on UK sellers is just a wonderful way to disrespect and irritating to a  target audience .

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

I totally agree - The Falklands are sovereign British Territory it is insulting to us to call them any different. Most days I  pass by the statue of the Royal Marine 'Yomping' outside of the museum in Eastney, Southsea....a poignant reminder of what it took to retake the 'Islas Malvinas' back after they were invaded! It matters.....

It matters to all of those who died or were injured in the exercise. It matters to the Falkland Islanders who voted to stay British.

I watched the fleet sail out of Pompey from near the Square Tower...it was probably one of the most moving memories I have...eclipsed only by the return of the survivors. It was also the last time I saw people truly united behind our armed services....and probably the last time we had a merchant fleet to call upon. I was so proud of them all.... 

Calling the Falklands anything else is wrong....the whole of South America knows exactly where the Falklands are....they do not need to have them referred to by any other name ....especially with all that Islas Malvinas implies.

LOST: one INVISIBILITY CLOAK - please help me find it...it was thrown over my listings ....somewhere in eBay-land!
Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

I also agree with DNA, your points are valid and are further evidence of globalisation and its consequences. eBay are not clever when it comes to diplomacy, they attempt to walk a neutral path yet in so doing they inadvertently offend so many. It's akin to wanting to be loved when in fact treat em mean keep em keen tends to be more productive. If the United Nations cannot unanimously agree on anything then what makes eBay think they can satisfy everyone. If you want to work with everyone, let the Brits post to the Falklands and let the Argies post to the Malvinas. The fact remains however that there are no Argies in the Falklands but they claim it and its mineral rites. 

Wonder if that has any influence?

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

None of that matters, it's all irrelevant. There would have been no conflict and no unneccessary bloodshed and none of the ridiculous jingoism I've read on this discussion thread if Argentina had put enough money on the table in 1980 when the British government agreed in principle to sell the islands to them.

Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

@roxcalibur wrote:

None of that matters, it's all irrelevant.

It matters to the people whose loved ones didn't come home.

Has there ever been a war that couldn't have been avoided if the muppets in power had been able to reach agreement on one dowry or another?

If you're going to call *ridiculous jingoism* every time someone shows support for soldiers lost or involved in an avoidable conflict then you may as well make that phrase your sig.

Don't wait for the perfect moment - seize the moment and make it perfect Smiley Very Happy
Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

What? The lives of the servicemen that were lost are irrelevant?

100% pure Egyptian Cotton
Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

There would have been no unnecessary bloodshed if the islands hadn't been invaded by Argentina in the first place.

As for IRRELEVANT.....try telling that to the families of those lost on Coventry....Sheffield ....Sir Tristram...Sir Galahad...Atlantic Conveyor etc....as well as all those lost in the Royal Marines, Paras, SAS, RAF, Army ....not all were members of the armed services...civilians were also killed including merchant seamen of the RFA and 8 Chinese. It's certainly not irrelevant to the likes of Simon Weston, maimed for life. It's not irrelevant for the many who suffered PTS and have suffered severe mental health issues...too many have had their lives wrecked and ended up living on the street....and worse still...committed suicide. Neither is it irrelevant for the Falkland Islanders who also died.

http://www.sama82.org.uk/1982/GardenofRemembrance/tabid/78/Default.aspx

IF you read the background to this you would know that Britain offered to submit to the Court of Justice at The Hague in the 1940's which was refused by Argentina...then a unilateral submission was put before the court in 1955 but again Argentina refused to accept any decision of the court in respect of the area so it was dropped in 1957. There have been offers made recently regarding sharing mineral rights and they too have been rejected. Chile, our ally in the Falklands Conflict also has some claims in the Antartic Territories. There was no lawful reason for Argentina to invade the islands. 

When we stood on the beach and waved ship after ship out of harbour with their crew and contingent standing to attention along their decks The Falklands were Las Malvinas....when they returned they were the Falklands again....and yes....we were proud of them! 

The Falkland Islands are not Las Malvinas...and haven't been since 1833....apart from a few months in 1982. The Falkland Islanders who have the right to self determination have overwhelmingly decided that they wish to remain a British Dependancy....and they are the ones that ultimately matter in this issue!

LOST: one INVISIBILITY CLOAK - please help me find it...it was thrown over my listings ....somewhere in eBay-land!
Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

I really don't understand what the issue is here. If you don't think the Falklands should be referred to as Islas Malvinas and if as you say Royal Mail will not deliver post there, then why state in some of your listings that you will ship there?

I'm sure you are trying to make a point but I'm not sure what the point is.

Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent