What makes you happy?

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a lot of doom and gloom in this world and there is enough talk about that on here, but.....

what makes you happy at this moment in time, what makes you feel good?

This can be people, hobbies, work, looking at a sunset, it doesn't matter, as long as when you think about it it makes you feel good. It doesn't have to be anything big. It's often the little things that count. Expand on it a little.

For me there are several things:

I'm fixing up a Dolls house and creating tiny things for it. I have always loved miniatures since I was small and I'm fascinated by all the stuff people can make on such a small scale. There are some fantastic artist out there making amazing things.

I'm finally renovating my garden as it had become messy and tired over the years (a bit like myself), so buying new plants, digging out old ones, redesigning the borders a bit, etc...At last getting some special roses with lots of fragrance. Roses are my favourite flowers. The variety is just immense. It's fun to select all new plants. I'm not a great gardener, but I'm sure I can create a little heaven to sit in.

I'm rereading some of my old fantasy books. At the moment Terry Brooks. I love reading and it gives me a lot of pleasure, but especially fantasy as it takes me into a different world.

I made a start with painting an oil painting of a fantasy bird for my eldest daughter. Something bold and colourful, but full of details to reflect her personality. It also makes me feel good to see her more happy again and making new plans for her future after losing her baby girl 3 years ago.

I love seeing how my youngest has grown in confidence and skills working for Warner Brothers in London as an apprentice. It is amazing to see her spreading her wings and flying at a speed that I didn't think she had in her.

And I do like to watch the sun set. I live in a built up area, but I'm on a T-junction and can see down the whole street in front of my house and in the evening I often sit at my dining table to watch all the colours changing in the sky. I might not have a view over glowing hills, but the bit I can see is beautiful.

So what about you lot..........................

Message 1 of 42
See Most Recent
41 REPLIES 41

What makes you happy?

Harry....what a lovely post! It is good to think about the good things we have in our lives, however simple they are. You and I have many things in common as regards what makes us happy.

Like you , I am a very creative person, and find great happiness in making things. Over the years I have done Embroidery, Quilting, Calligraphy, Stained Glass work...you name it I have done it. Five years ago I too returned to painting, and I recently sold some oil paintings, so now I can call myself 'Artist'. I attend an Art class once a week and I so look forward to that.

I love my garden too, and am in the process of creating a Japanese garden, with stone lanterns and Acers....very peaceful and rewarding.

I love the view from my bedroom window...three very old trees on a windy ridge that have been there over 100 years. I was born in the valley between my present house and those trees...and I intend that my ashes will repose up there when I pop my clogs.

My grandchildren all make me so happy, they are really funny and make me laugh, and I am so grateful that they are all well.

I think the most wonderful thing for me was my birthday this year when my two daughters took me for a meal. People may think that is not remarkable, but it made me absolutely ecstatic, because they had been estranged for years, and are now good friends and sisters again. To see them hug, and then have a group hug, was magical. I cried buckets...of happiness!

I love being in the company of my sisters, daughters, and nieces....we are a family of mostly women, and they are all as mad as hatters. As the eldest, I am now the Matriarch after the death of my Mother.

I have recently had a two day spell in hospital, nothing serious, but I was amazed to see so many women of my own age who are not fit and well, so I am extremely grateful that I can do most anything in life that I want to. I intend to look after my health as best I can.

Reading your post and mine, it's clear that we love the simple things in life. I am intrigued by your description of your new painting...when it is finished, may we see it? I do hope there will be some more posts on this thread..I think we will find that we have more in common than we realise!

Message 2 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

Harry...I just tried to PM you but it won't work? Xx
Message 3 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

@Anonymous wrote:

There is a lot of doom and gloom in this world and there is enough talk about that on here, but.....

what makes you happy at this moment in time, what makes you feel good?

This can be people, hobbies, work, looking at a sunset, it doesn't matter, as long as when you think about it it makes you feel good. It doesn't have to be anything big. It's often the little things that count. Expand on it a little.

For me there are several things:

I'm fixing up a Dolls house and creating tiny things for it. I have always loved miniatures since I was small and I'm fascinated by all the stuff people can make on such a small scale. There are some fantastic artist out there making amazing things.

I'm finally renovating my garden as it had become messy and tired over the years (a bit like myself), so buying new plants, digging out old ones, redesigning the borders a bit, etc...At last getting some special roses with lots of fragrance. Roses are my favourite flowers. The variety is just immense. It's fun to select all new plants. I'm not a great gardener, but I'm sure I can create a little heaven to sit in.

I'm rereading some of my old fantasy books. At the moment Terry Brooks. I love reading and it gives me a lot of pleasure, but especially fantasy as it takes me into a different world.

I made a start with painting an oil painting of a fantasy bird for my eldest daughter. Something bold and colourful, but full of details to reflect her personality. It also makes me feel good to see her more happy again and making new plans for her future after losing her baby girl 3 years ago.

I love seeing how my youngest has grown in confidence and skills working for Warner Brothers in London as an apprentice. It is amazing to see her spreading her wings and flying at a speed that I didn't think she had in her.

And I do like to watch the sun set. I live in a built up area, but I'm on a T-junction and can see down the whole street in front of my house and in the evening I often sit at my dining table to watch all the colours changing in the sky. I might not have a view over glowing hills, but the bit I can see is beautiful.

So what about you lot..........................

A LIFE WORTH LIVING , SURROUNDED BY PEOPLE WORTH LIVING IT WITH.Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok evo, that sounds good.  Woman Happy You don't want to enlarge on that I guess. Woman LOL

Message 5 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that is ebay for you Astro...hahaha. Maybe try again later.

I know you are really creative as well. Smiley Happy

I'm not exactly Rembrandt...hahaha...so don't hold your breath. I learned to oil paint at an early age and did have to learn to paint everything, from landscapes and still life to portraits, but none of it was really my thing. So I started painting from my fantasy and paint mainly symbolic, surrealistic, modern kind of stuff. Not everyone's cup a tea. I did a painting for a friend of mine last year with all kinds of things in it to represent what she loved. I hadn't painted for a long time, but it was a lot of fun getting back into it. I do have to have real inspiration though. I can't just go and sit copying something like some can do, so making it into a profession was always out of the question for me.

Fantastic that you sold some paintings! That is absolutely great. Smiley Happy

I wish my garden was bigger. I would love a Japanese garden as well. Somewhere really tranquil to sit and read.

As a mother I know how important it is for you to see your children getting on well. We're close as a family and it feels good.

Health is important in life and mine isn't always as good as I would wish, but I don't dwell on it. My cup is always half full. Smiley Very Happy

I think it's always good to count our blessings on a regular basis. We're often surrounded by things that make us happy, but we don't always see that, it becomes normal. We often don't stand still long enough to really appreciate that what is right there under our noses and actually gives us a lot of joy.

Message 6 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok evo, that sounds good.  Woman Happy You don't want to enlarge on that I guess. Woman LOL

I don't want to expand on it too much, because I'd feel I was asking for far too much; as my original basic request appears to be asking for far too much as it is. Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

However, to elucidate a bit........Driving fast cars, playing tennis and generating enough adrenaline ( mixed with pain killers ) to mask the pain of having a body that's full of nuts, bolts and screws.........products of a hard life........and for when I can't keep father time at bay any longer, my collecting / eBay activities.Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Evo, It sounds like you got a bit too immersed into your fast cars. Woman LOL And in my opinion there is no such thing as asking for too much. Nothing wrong with wanting more or better. Smiley Happy What do you collect? Of course you don't have to answer that if you don't want to. I collect Art glass. Mainly Italian and Art Deco.
Message 9 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

What makes you happy?

Exactly the same thing that makes everyone else happy....... an increase in seratonin levels, nothing more, nothing less.

Next? Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

@jd.linklater wrote:

What makes you happy?

Exactly the same thing that makes everyone else happy....... an increase in seratonin levels, nothing more, nothing less.

Next? Smiley LOL

giggling.gif

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

What makes you happy?

Hi harry,

Sounds like we have similar things that make us happy.

I love all things arty crafty, I haven't done the small things for a dolls house yet but I think I have done pretty much everything else. As I have posted before I love cake decorating. I have done some really challenging ones in the last year or so. 

I love my garden, we downsized to a 1 bedfroomed bungalow from a 3 bed house last year and had to start from scratch doing up the garden, we have now got our own bit of paradise on our doorstep.  

My family and my grandchildren are so fulfilling and such a blessing, and to sit out in the garden on a late warm summers evening is one of the best feelings you could possibly experience.

I have so much to be thankful for and to cap it all I have good health.  

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

What makes you happy?

Smiley Very Happy

. photo bear.jpg

Petal
Message 13 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

@Anonymous wrote:
Evo, It sounds like you got a bit too immersed into your fast cars. Woman LOL And in my opinion there is no such thing as asking for too much. Nothing wrong with wanting more or better. Smiley Happy What do you collect? Of course you don't have to answer that if you don't want to. I collect Art glass. Mainly Italian and Art Deco.

Pens & Coins ( not just any old pens and coins Smiley Happy )

Here's one of the Pens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DqkGBtbxJc

Here's one of the coins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ7HIR0zT8U

Message 14 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

Smiley Very Happywow thats a lovely Pen

Petal
Message 15 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

They are kind of special, real works of art; some have taken months to make ( urushi & maki-e ) Japanese lacquer which has to be applied in layers and then dried slowly.......polished....and then the whole process repeated over & over.  I am a great fan of the grand master painters, Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Botticelli, etc. etc. so the series of coins I showed, have pictures of famous paintings on them and are surrounded by inlaid swarovski crystals. I'm just a slave to beautiful things. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

Wow...I can see why Evo. That is a fabulous pen. I wonder who designed that. Are those stones diamonds? They look like diamonds....it is indeed a beautiful object.

Message 17 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Evo, Lovely and very special. Both pen and Coin. I understand why you would collect those. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmmmm.............And how do you raise yours?

Message 19 of 42
See Most Recent

What makes you happy?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not much of a baker, but I would love to give the decorating a try. I've seen some amazing stuff on the internet. Often far to nice to eat though. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 42
See Most Recent